Case MX270

/ Case MX270 #1  

naddis01

Ok guys, we are in the market for a tractor around the 270 - 300hp mark. We have come across a Case MX270 which has low hours for its age.

Since we haven't had much to do with them we have some questions.

Basically I would like to know how reliable they are? We would most likely be keeping it for a few years so reliability is a big factor in our purchase. I have a freind who has an MX240 and he has had a few problems with it including catching fire twice. Do these tractors have reliability issues?

What are the common problems with them?

What are the standard features like? They seem relatively basic from what I have read. We are going to check it out in a couple of days.

What else do I need to know about them? Feel free to give your opinion on them.

One of the other tractors we are looking at is a McCormick ZTX280 with similar hours but it is probably about 6 years newer and is cheaper but we have concerns about resale and brand perception.

Thanks in advance.

/ Case MX270 #2  
Most members here are running subcompacts, compacts, and utility tractors, so are not going to be of much help. I would guess few have a tractor of 50 hp or more. I would suggest you ask over at TheNewAgTalk forum or even just do a search of that site. I know that the MX subject has come up many times. That forum is for farmers and is very good. There are even a few Aussies that post regularly there. I have no experience with MXs but have heard the first couple of years could have electrical issues and some models have the CAPS fuel system which is expensive to fix if you have problems. Engines, transmissions, hydraulics, cabs, are very good.

Kim

/ Case MX270 #4  
Catching fire I could only run my imagination!

I do know that some had fuel pump issues other then that there was nothing more major! The tractor itself should have the performance monitor to be on the upper end for electronic diagnostics and adjusting the systems!

/ Case MX270 #5  
Haven't seen too many problems with them that the average Joe couldn't take care of. Most of what I see is just axle seals, remote couplers and the hydraulic steel tubes under the cab sometimes crack. Other than that they haven't been too bad. They did have an update for a new style of cab power relay which took care of constant relay replacement.

/ Case MX270 #6  
Catching fire I could only run my imagination!

I do know that some had fuel pump issues other then that there was nothing more major! The tractor itself should have the performance monitor to be on the upper end for electronic diagnostics and adjusting the systems!

Would be interesting to know what caught fire ..birds can build a nest on the engine and cause quite a lot of damage. I know of 2 fires from bird nests this spring already. Worth a look under the hood each time you use your tractor.

The CAPS fuel system can not stand air in the fuel lines, check for cracked rubber lines and loose fittings. I usually add an electric pump at the fuel tank, to push fuel to the injection pump. Haven't had any problems with the CAPS systems since.

/ Case MX270
Haven't seen too many problems with them that the average Joe couldn't take care of. Most of what I see is just axle seals, remote couplers and the hydraulic steel tubes under the cab sometimes crack. Other than that they haven't been too bad. They did have an update for a new style of cab power relay which took care of constant relay replacement.
Was the change in cab relay during the MX270 range, if so when, or was it when they updated the model to the MX285?

Would be interesting to know what caught fire ..birds can build a nest on the engine and cause quite a lot of damage. I know of 2 fires from bird nests this spring already. Worth a look under the hood each time you use your tractor.

The CAPS fuel system can not stand air in the fuel lines, check for cracked rubber lines and loose fittings. I usually add an electric pump at the fuel tank, to push fuel to the injection pump. Haven't had any problems with the CAPS systems since.
The first time it caught fire was when they were mulching maize stubble. There must have been a build up of rubbish under the cab from that. Probably a bit of oil from the numerous leaks under there and when this got hot it caught fire.

So should we buy one? When we checked out the one in question in had "hitch capture" written on the screen. When I went to move the linkage basically everything shut down. The tractor was running but would not move. Everything was 'offline'.

/ Case MX270 #8  
The cab relay update was actually for the later models but could be used on the 270 if you were having issues with the relays. You will just be missing on of the harnesses in the instructions.

The CAPS system works just fine as long as there is no air in it like HydroTek said. I've only seen 1 pump that needed to be replaced in the 5 years I've been working on them.

Hitch Capture is nothing to worry about as it is displayed on almost ever MX at startup. The hitch controller just isn't seeing the hitch at the same position as the control. The fact that everything went offline seems like either a bad controller or a terminator/can wiring problem that the dealer/seller should take care of.

Should you buy one? I've had to work on more 285's and 305's than the 240's and 270's.

/ Case MX270
Hitch Capture is nothing to worry about as it is displayed on almost ever MX at startup. The hitch controller just isn't seeing the hitch at the same position as the control. The fact that everything went offline seems like either a bad controller or a terminator/can wiring problem that the dealer/seller should take care of.
Yes if we were to do a deal on this tractor, the seller will be fixing the issue. How much will that cost them and is it likely to happen again at some point? We will mostly likely be planning on only keeping the tractor for around 2000hours - it currently has around 2500hours on the clock.

Should you buy one? I've had to work on more 285's and 305's than the 240's and 270's.
Really? From what I have read, I thought the 270's give more trouble than the newer models.

/ Case MX270 #10  
MX270 IS A GOOD TRACTOR. CAPTURE HITCH IS NOTHING. JUST MOVE THE HITCH DIAL SLOWLY UP AND DOWN, AND THE TRACTOR WILL SENSE AND CAPTURE THE HITCH POSITION. THE FIRST YEAR OUT THE MX270'S HAD ISSUES WITH HYDRAULIC LEAKS UNDER THE CAB AND SOME ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. THESE ISSUES ARE REALLY MINOR AND EASY TO FIX. THE 270'S A GOOD RUNNING TRACTOR THAT SHOULD WORK WORK FOR YOU.