Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure
Yes, Brian has been great to work with. I had a response within hours of sending him a pm, stating he would get started immediately on a new link with heavy duty eyes, and cover shipping, including return shipping on the failed unit. Truly a stand up guy and a pleasure to do business with! I wish more companies that I deal with were like that!

Several of you asked what the eye on the other end looks like. Here's a shot of it. I examined it closely and I can't detect any signs of stress, so I think it was just a fluke that the other end let go.

hydtoplink4.jpg

I wouldn't say that I have been abusing my top link from Brian, but I certainly haven't been gentle on it either, especially with my 2000lbs+ implements going over rough roads, fields and stumps on the woods. :D

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #42  
so is this a good point for not having a double piloted check valve on your hydualic top link? perhaps a little cushion would have saved it?

take the ram to good weld shop and have a standard threaded eye link welded on the end of the ram.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #43  
I knew who the Vender was before you posted this thread. I also bought from him. Your outcome was what I expected, nothing else.

Please post comparison pictures when the new TL arrives, before you return the broken one.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #44  
Yes, Brian has been great to work with. I had a response within hours of sending him a pm, stating he would get started immediately on a new link with heavy duty eyes, and cover shipping, including return shipping on the failed unit. Truly a stand up guy and a pleasure to do business with! I wish more companies that I deal with were like that!

Several of you asked what the eye on the other end looks like. Here's a shot of it. I examined it closely and I can't detect any signs of stress, so I think it was just a fluke that the other end let go.

hydtoplink4.jpg

I wouldn't say that I have been abusing my top link from Brian, but I certainly haven't been gentle on it either, especially with my 2000lbs+ implements going over rough roads, fields and stumps on the woods. :D
Yipes! Those eyes appear to have much less side swivel than is conventional. Might be hitting the limit if the implement swings a bit. If so its not a good thing.
larry

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #45  
so is this a good point for not having a double piloted check valve on your hydualic top link? perhaps a little cushion would have saved it?

take the ram to good weld shop and have a standard threaded eye link welded on the end of the ram.

Did you read the thread at all?

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #46  
read the thread... who does that!?!?! ;)

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #47  
What thread? :eek:

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #48  

hydtoplink4.jpg

It appears stressed to me. Looks like a lot less metal at the 11 o'clock position than at the 5 o'clock position.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #49  
In the excellent photo of the broken end, the material looks cast. Is that what forged looks like inside? I understand "forged" to mean stamped into shape when nearly molten, under great pressure, usually resulting in higher strength than other methods.

Is it possible that some imported stuff is being cast with the word "forged" on the side, but it is simply cast? Maybe when they use the word "forged", they are just being honest and telling us they copied a good design of ours.

/ Catastrophic hydraulic top link failure #50  
I broke a 1045 steel tooth on my bucket. It looks the same way. Its just that the higher strength steels dont stretch much before failure. They flex elastically much more than lo strength. This lets force continue to build until much nearer the failure point. Then they stretch some ... any more above that they SNAP.
larry