Cedar post fence

/ Cedar post fence #11  
Makes sense that the big end would be down as they would take much longer to rot being thicker.
Also the contact area with ground would be the breaking point (from side loads) and stronger.

/ Cedar post fence #12  
Here in VA, we used to use ONLY cedar and locust posts...big end down and do not debark them...not sure why but if you take the bark off they seem to "wear" down to the heart much faster than if you leave the bark on....I never saw a cedar post that rotted clean thru even after 50 years...just my 2 cents worth. BobG in VA

/ Cedar post fence #13  
In a pile, a debarked post lasts a lot longer than one with the bark still on since moisture gets trapped between the bark and the wood. Moisture against the wood seems to be key -- the dryer the cedar is the longer it will last so drainage around the pole bottom is important. I noticed a lot of fences in my neck of the woods with the pole butt end up -- still think it has to do with what will fit in the hole. The other way to get the bark off and make the poles nice looking is to get a "log wizard" for your chainsaw JMHO

/ Cedar post fence
Here in VA, we used to use ONLY cedar and locust posts...big end down and do not debark them...not sure why but if you take the bark off they seem to "wear" down to the heart much faster than if you leave the bark on....I never saw a cedar post that rotted clean thru even after 50 years...just my 2 cents worth. BobG in VA

BobG_in_VA,
Nice to hear from you.:thumbsup: I am thinking it is wetter down here, is why were are suppose to peel them. Not sure now.:confused2:
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
Makes sense that the big end would be down as they would take much longer to rot being thicker.
Also the contact area with ground would be the breaking point (from side loads) and stronger.

That was what I was always taught.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
I've used both a draw knife and press washer to debark my cedars....can't say which I prefer ...bit of a toss up. The press washer is a little easier but sure makes a heck of a mess....a lot more than the draw knife even.

Mike,
I like the house avatar.:thumbsup: How about a full size photo?:cool: It is kinda like what I am wanting to build.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #17  
Mike,
I like the house avatar.:thumbsup: How about a full size photo?:cool: It is kinda like what I am wanting to build.;)
hugs, Brandi

Brandi -- that's the TBN guest cabin. So named cause I bought it from txdon last year and moved it here. Free of charge to any TBN member .....or anybody else for that manner..:laughing:;)...It's gotten a lot of use the last year....mostly by some folks from Plano who are building a small weekend house a mile up the road and need some place to stay and stage out of. We've become good friends of course and at Easter had an egg hunt for Trevor (g'son we have custody of) and their grandkids.

/ Cedar post fence #18  
Brandi, I remember you asking about getting cedar posts and almost offered you full access to our place in Lampasas County, but assumed you'd rather find a place closer. I'm happy that you found a cooperative TBN member.
If you ever need a large volume of cedar posts, about 1 mile South of Lampasas (on Hwy 183) there is Meyers Cedar Yard. They have tons of cedar post of all sizes as well as cedar lumber. I have bought a lot of cedar lumber from them for various projects.

/ Cedar post fence
Brandi -- that's the TBN guest cabin. So named cause I bought it from txdon last year and moved it here. Free of charge to any TBN member .....or anybody else for that manner..:laughing:;)...It's gotten a lot of use the last year....mostly by some folks from Plano who are building a small weekend house a mile up the road and need some place to stay and stage out of. We've become good friends of course and at Easter had an egg hunt for Trevor (g'son we have custody of) and their grandkids.
Mike,
Ok, that sounds great.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
Brandi, I remember you asking about getting cedar posts and almost offered you full access to our place in Lampasas County, but assumed you'd rather find a place closer. I'm happy that you found a cooperative TBN member.
If you ever need a large volume of cedar posts, about 1 mile South of Lampasas (on Hwy 183) there is Meyers Cedar Yard. They have tons of cedar post of all sizes as well as cedar lumber. I have bought a lot of cedar lumber from them for various projects.

I saw them when we went up to Lampasas. I will keep them in mind.
hugs, Brandi