Cedar post fence

/ Cedar post fence
Brandi, have you ever tried those rotary/turbo nozzles? They are 0 degree but spin around so you cover a bigger area, doesnt sit on a single spot and are lot easier on your hand and they work great. We use one on our pressure washer for 1 to 3 hours a day every day we salmon fish to keep the nets clean, my daughter calls it the "cone of clean".

Rick,
I have heard about them. The friend I borrowed the washer from says they cost around $99. I do know Northern Tools sales the degrees angle nozzles for about $7-8.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
Here is one for $35
NorthStar Pressure Washer Turbo Nozzle | Turbo Nozzles| Northern Tool + Equipment

It will save you a lot of time and you can give the nozzle to the pressure washer owner for rental.
Thanks Rick. I think this 4,000 psi washer I borrowed would eat that nozzle. He doesn't rent pressure washers. He sells them and the one I borrowed was his shop's washer.

Guess it pays to be loyal and buy from the same dealer when you can. Travis sold me my Mahindra and Top Hat 24+5 foot dual tandem trailer, along with my Honda water pump, my Stihl saw, and my Hustler zero turn mower. I'd buy a pressure washer from him, but his start at $1,999. When he started out years ago, he sold me parts for my Snapper rear engine mower, when I was rebuilding the rear axle assy.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #44  
Oh Lutt,
What's the fun in no wire. You need somewhere to hang stuff on.
hugs, Brandi

Sorry,Im a little late on the post, Brandi,youve got a good point about hangn stuff on. LOL LUTT

/ Cedar post fence #45  
Brandi, good call pressure washing that bark off...that's how I do it. I have one suggestion, for line posts round is ok, but for gate posts see if you can get someone to square them for you. Here is the reason, the sapwood will rot away leaving a gap between the dirt & the red heartwood causing the gate will wobble around a bit. This will take about 2-3 years before you will notice it. I learned this the hard way before I had my mill. If you want to drive 'em up here, I'll square e'm for ya for free:D

/ Cedar post fence
Brandi, good call pressure washing that bark off...that's how I do it. I have one suggestion, for line posts round is ok, but for gate posts see if you can get someone to square them for you. Here is the reason, the sapwood will rot away leaving a gap between the dirt & the red heartwood causing the gate will wobble around a bit. This will take about 2-3 years before you will notice it. I learned this the hard way before I had my mill. If you want to drive 'em up here, I'll square e'm for ya for free:D
Rick,
That is what happened with my uncle's posts, the ones that he turned upside down. I guess your calling the white wood the sapwood? Right?
I'll worry about them when they start wobbling. I'm not staying here forever. In the next two years I will be buying retirement property. Good Lord willing.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence #47  
Yup, in Cedar the red center is the heartwood and the most rot/bug resistant:
tree_sapwood.gif

/ Cedar post fence
Yup, in Cedar the red center is the heartwood and the most rot/bug resistant:
tree_sapwood.gif

Rick,
Actually, these are Mountain Juniper. I have been told they are the most resistant of all cedars to rotting. I have no clue if this is true. An invasive non native species to Texas, that ranchers and farmers hate for the amount of water they suck up.
hugs, Brandi

/ Cedar post fence
Luke and I got 109 feet of posts set Saturday. I actually got Luke to clean out the holes. Yippee, I didn't have to do it!

I had to leave one post in the hole with no dirt. Seems I cut a phone line and I don't know if it belongs to my neighbor across the street............or my old phone line. So I have to leave it un set until I talk to my neighbor. Once upon a time, he said he had a splice kit for phone lines. So if it is his, we won't have to call the phone company to fix it.

If I postioned the tractor just right, I could dig 3 holes before moving. I love that auger.

Oh yeah, the post next to the mailbox is so big, I had to cut the butt back some on one side to fit into the 12 inch hole. All the others were in 9 inch holes. I didn't want that huge post put there, as it is a 8 footer, but forgot to change bits from the 12 inch to the 9 inch bit. Oops! Anyway, just more mass to slow down drunk drivers that pass the cul-de-sac up.
hugs, Brandi
12-8-12 Holes R Us.jpg12-8-12 Luke Cleaning Out Post Holes.jpg12-8-12 Posts Lining Up.jpg12-8-12 Half of the Posts Set.jpg

/ Cedar post fence #50  
Believe it. I have posts that have to be 100 years old. The red heart is still there. White sapwood all gone. The larger the heart to begin with, the longer the post lasts. Extremely difficult to drive staples into now...they just bend.

Rick,
Actually, these are Mountain Juniper. I have been told they are the most resistant of all cedars to rotting. I have no clue if this is true. An invasive non native species to Texas, that ranchers and farmers hate for the amount of water they suck up.
hugs, Brandi