Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #21  
Re: Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

Most of the newer phones can't be boosted. In the old analog days, car phones had a separate amplifier that stayed with the vehicle. Newer digital cell phones are limited to something under a watt of power (500 mW or 750 mW, I don't remember which /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif), and don't use boosters.

The GlueGuy

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #22  

In fact, I just ordered a headset for my phone. I'll watch out for the "matching volume" phenomenon. Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to be one of the people I complain about!

18-30461-BillSig.jpg

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #23  

GlueGuy,

Didn't know about the digital booster thing, but it sounds right. My digital was rated at 1/2 watt. The analog I replaced it with is (I think) something like 3 watts. That extra wattage makes the diff between using and not using.

Also, there's another thread about using the cell phone during thunderstorms. You heard anything about that? Real? Imagined?

SHF

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #24  

SHF - you referring to the comment I made on the other thread? If so, you can disregard.

There is some anecdotal evidence out there for strikes - but mostly unconfirmed. I ran a check and there is no proven link.

The suggested link was apparently due to cell-phones producing ionizing radiation. They don't. Ionizing radiation is only produced way up in the electromagnetic spectrum (ultra-violet light and X-Rays for example).

My fault - I typed before I confirmed (geez, that never happens!)

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #25  

'Tis no problem.

One warning I can give about lightning. DON"T go to the bathroom during a storm. Learned that one first hand. Just made it back to bed (maybe 30 seconds). BANG! Big hit right on the house! Jumped into the wiring, fried some stuff, jumped into the PLUMBING, fried some stuff.

Only thing I'm glad about is being back in bed. I keep wondering what my wife would have told the EMTS if I'd been 30 seconds longer in the bathroom... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I did notice that when lightning strikes a half mile off, you hear a bang followed by a rumbling echo. When it hits right over your head, you hear a bang followed by a bunch of yelling. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

SHF

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #26  

Back to the first question, sorry I'm late to this. I wear a cell phone and pager almost all the time I'm not home or at work. I'm on call 24/7 and wouldn't have much of a life if I didn't have it. I'd spend all my time tracking down a phone. My tech toys are my freedom to go for a hike, a bike ride, or out tractoring. They're also my embarrasment, so I try to cover them up as much as possible, and never leave the phone on. It's even worse when I don't have a pocket big enough for my PDA. Then that winds up on my belt too. Talk about nerdy!

So my answer has to be that my phone is a blessing, because it makes my job possible. The curse is that everyone else has one too, and that they drive with them.

On that front, I got my wife a hands free kit installed in her car. I just slow down and get in the right lane on the highway, or occasionally pull over if it's the only safe thing to do. Still, I'm sure I'd be a safer driver sans cell.

Todd

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #27  

Hey all,Nice long thread here.I have to agree with pretty much every one.especially on the loud talkers at the lunch table...As for the phone in the can I turn mine off before I go in...If they can't live with out me for that short a time they need more help than I can give them.I work for one the cell companies,In the Engineering dept. I'm a field Engineer I'm one of the folks they call,When some calls and complains that"Hey I had good signal at home before. What Happened?"....Usually lightening!!!That or a tree fell and nocked out power all over...Yes most companies have some type of back up but here in Bama it can take a while for the power company to catch up...SO when it storms in your area don't be suprised if the cell phones stop working any were from a few minutes to a few hours after the power goes out....That or there are so many poeple trying to call at once the tower gets overloaded.If you live in an area thats well populated there will be more towers so it's less of a problem.If your like me and live out well I hope your land line works.I don't have one..As a matter of fact I'm using my cell phne as modem now...4.8k per sec average speed...But pure digital so it will only get faster with time.Boss said test it so I'm testing it.../w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif A...Some one mentioned hands free kits.If you don't have one I would recommend them.It is at least less disstracting that trying to hold on to the phone and drive...Especially off road climbing a Mtn to a Cell tower...When the boss calls"hay where are you?"Some of those roads are as close to strait up as they get...!They new cell phones as some one mentioned,not only use less power but most of them will reduce that out put when in good coverage.this extendeds battery life.Those with analog service don't get to used to it,it is slowly being phased out especailly in populated areas...AS for boosting signal on any cell ph. try a mag antenna for the ol' car roof.With some phones they do seem to help...Make sure the person you buy it from sells you one in the right frequency range..It does matter.The folks with Nextel and Southern Link...No luck there unless you have an old LINGO..(1 watt Brick of a phone and Bullet proof).L
Lack of coverage,well there will be holes for a long time to come.I read an article that stated the ideal cellular net work would have one tower every mile at 10miles up.Wouldn't flying be fun...?It is true analog will go further but in most cases you pay for it in clarity...Plus shadows do to Mtns and tall buildings are fun.
Then there are reflected signals that have to be filtered...and much more than I would have figured..possible 2 years ago before I started doing this stuff.There are even holes in the gps satalites.I found one here in Alabama.Boy was that confusing at first..Thought I was lost...Really lost..Even the computer didn't know where we were.

toddler,I feel for you.I carry 2 cell phones a palm3,pager and laptop with street atlas and gps.Plus I can use either lap top or PDA to talk to the equipment in the tower.Once I get there and plug in. I guess this is long enough.If you have any questions on how some of this stuff works..Feel free to ask, if I can I will...I''ll warn ya, after 2 years I'm still learning stuff...It is kinda cool though...

P.S All cell phone should have a vibrate mode by law...MY LMO...

Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D
Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #28  

Blessings; Like a CB radio when you have trouble.
Curse; Defensive driving lessons are costing more day by day.

After rocks and arrows came Smith and Wesson. Road rage with a wireless SW is nessasary because some are just on a different wave length. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Don't take me too serious.

The national news says kids can't drive. It is also reported that the girls are catching up and passing the boys on the roads for speed and negligence. Who's teaching who what here?

I do have most trouble with lawyers or realestate people. Yacking with one hand and ear, the other trying not to loose grip of the steering wheel and read a note or map with the other hand. This just can't happen if your driving a stick shift. (although I'm probably wrong) All this and still trying to focus on your surroundings and drive? I don't think so. If you do think this is OK, then I know why they invented barbed wire. I might also wonder if that wireless SW is not wrong. After all, that is a 4000 pound object you damn near hit me with. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Don't say I don't have a sence of humor or I'll call you on my Smith and Wesson.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #29  

Cell phones were great. Now they have gotten so small they are impossible to use in a car.
I still have an old analog mobile cell phone that I refuse to give up. Its a big dash mounted phone that
I can see use and hold without problems. I would love to go digital with all the new features, but I want a real mobile phone and they dont exsist in the digital world. I have a nextel from work that is almost impossible to use while mobile. To small to make a call while driving.

Gary (N8EMR)
gws@redbird.net

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #30  

To bad nextel coverage is crap. I use them at work because I had to. If I was paying it would be history.

Gary (N8EMR)
gws@redbird.net