Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #41  
Re: Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse?

I hate the #$%&-&%# things.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #42  

They're a tool, just like many other things. How they are used or misused is contingent on the owner. I got my bag phone in 1996 after getting trapped on the end of a dead end road- I parked there in the morning, not realizing that somebody would be dumping gravel so that they could spread it later. It would have been a long walk out at the end of a hot day except that I got there just as they were dumping the last load, and the driver dragged me over the pile with a chain.
In years past I had to be home on Sunday evenings to take and make phone calls to plan my week; now if I need to make a call I plan around where I can get decent service.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #43  

They have made it so many folks can't have a face to face conversation, they lack the skills. I had a bag phone in 1993 and it proved to be a valuable business tool. Allowed me to be many places and still be in touch with the 11 guys I supervised. When flip phones came out, I had one for work and I was gone from home for days at a time, so bought my wife one, 1) for safety, 2) so I could reach her when I needed to or 3) her reach me when she needed to. I resisted the smart phone, preferring my flip phone, until I was planning on working a large tradeshow. I had a bad back and could not walk long distances, lots of pain... the tradeshow was in Las Vegas and the hotel rooms are a long distance from convention center across the street. No way I wanted to carry my laptop to stay up on emails or walk back to my room several times during day, so my family talked me into smart phone I could check my emails on.

They are a tool, but can be a big distraction also. Our family reunion camping trip in July was at campground with no cell coverage (AT&T no coverage, Verizon limited). I turned off my cell phone and left it on counter in trailer. Of course, that meant that I did not get any pictures that week either because I spoiled and did not want to go get my camera or phone to take some photos..

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #44  

I know someone who collects and uses old high-end (rugged enough to survive to today....) flip phones.

I had a bag phone in 1993 and it proved to be a valuable business tool.

Wish I knew where/how to sell my Nokia Bag phone I've had since '94 or so.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #45  

^^^^ I wish that I could still use a bag phone, as they actually worked for the purpose intended. I donated the phone which I had used for years, as well as the barely used Made in USA Motorola bag phone which my brother gave me. They allegedly went to domestic violence victims who only could use them to call 911.
My employer provides me with a "smart phone" which is an oxymoron as it barely can get enough service to make a call.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #46  

So? I own and use a flip phone. All I want is something that says "hello" with conversation in between and then "goodbye". I bought my wife one maybe 20 years ago when she was working, as a safety device. I wanted a phone with a rotary dial, but couldn't find one. :eek:

I had 2 Nokia flips, loved them both..... great battery life. Started out with a Motorola brick for business - unsurpassed call quality, until perhaps the last 2 gens of digital phones on fast networks. If it weren't for business reasons, I would have been very late to the cell game....

Ended up with a dumb phone now, for a few reasons, but primarily because the high-end telco plan I was sponsored onto is tied to at least a mid-range dummy phone...... that plan (Canadian plans in general are terrible re. PriceVsPerformance) was worth it alone for the high capacity USA calling it has.....

The best flip phone I came across for battery life was one Motorola did about 8 or so years ago. Numeric only display, optimized for 3'rd World markets with limited to non-existent grid power. I probably still have the specs in an old email...... ran a crazy long time between charges. Great emergency voice unit.

A lot of people don't do voice much anymore..... I was OK texting on my old flips for the little bit I needed.

I like the compactness of a flip, and the ease of storing it in just about any pocket.

Rgds, D.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #47  

I almost got run over on a sidewalk by some broad whith thumbs going 80 miles an hour and head down. She didn't even see me as I dodged her.

Was she walking or driving ? :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #48  

^^^^ I wish that I could still use a bag phone, as they actually worked for the purpose intended. I donated the phone which I had used for years, as well as the barely used Made in USA Motorola bag phone which my brother gave me. They allegedly went to domestic violence victims who only could use them to call 911.
My employer provides me with a "smart phone" which is an oxymoron as it barely can get enough service to make a call.

For rural use, it's only the last few years that the digital networks have built-out enough coverage to do what you could with a bagger and a vehicle-mounted antenna back when. Plug 'em in to the car, they worked, well.

Rgds, D.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #49  

^^^^^
I also had a battery pack/booster with a cigarette lighter adapter for when I was snowsledding/ATVing away from the truck. plan. Considering that I was often running chainsaw on snowshoes at least it was a backup plan.

/ Cell Phones - Blessing or a Curse? #50  

Cell phones can be a useful tool, but they fall into a different category than many....

Emergency (911) contact - useful tool, if you have cell service and battery power. Drinking my coffee this morning, seeing this thread reminded me of an incident that was reported off Vancouver Island. Guy on a jet ski managed to run himself out of fuel well away from land.

His cell phone made the difference, but just barely...... drifting with the currents, his next landfall probably being Japan, he managed to snag one bar on a coastal cell tower as he was floating away.

Useful tool, but some people rely on them way too much..... they can't substitute for food, water, fuel, flares... in the middle of the ocean. Same applies on land - you can freeze to death in our Winters, or dehydrate in a desert, if you are blindly relying on having signal bars on your phone.....

And.... they are the only tool in widespread use that surveils you and actively tries to market all sorts of junk you allegedly want. Well, for now at least..... TVs for one, are catching up on the surveillance front....

Rgds, D.