Cell Towers

/ Cell Towers #21  
From what I was told second/third hand from a local tower set-up/easement.....make sure that the contract specifically states the carrier and only allows that carrier (exclusive). Otherwise the carrier can let other carriers mount an antenna on the tower and collect fees while you only get money from the one. If it's an exclusive contract, you can collect from every carrier that wants to put an antenna on the tower. I believe the local guy got like $1200 a month from each carrier.

Your mileage may vary and I'm not a lawyer or expert.

/ Cell Towers #22  
Approached to Lease Your Land for Cell Phone Tower?

a quick google search brought this up.
location is important with towers. some areas that are prime tower areas can fetch big money others not..
the higher the elevation of property the more useful the location is.
i heard of tower sites near my town in michigan were getting over $1800.00 a month over 5 years ago.
an attorney is a must for any deal. it may decrease your property value if you ever want to sell.
i would also check to see about codes and special assesments in your township or county that may be brought up if it is erected. and who would pay them. if the company folds or decides not to use the tower anymore who is responsible.
it could get damaged in a storm lets say. do you have any obligations if a company abandons the site?
Tom

/ Cell Towers #23  
We were offered years ago to have a cell tower put up behind our place. It was from Verizion and they were wanting to buy the land it was set on. Were offering us $20k but didn't specify a total acerage. The contract they sent to use stated "as much land as required". So basically we would have signed for them to buy all of our land if the town told them they needed it. We put a stipulation in there limiting them to no more then 4 acres as well as putting a deadline on it (their contract had no deadline). In the end they backed out of our deal and moved further down the road to a neighboring property. We didn't need the money and haven't regretted them not building here. We were not overly excited about the prospect of having more people driving out back on a regular basis.

Good luck to you if you do go ahead with it. Just make sure you protect yourself.

/ Cell Towers #24  
View attachment 287961

It allows the gate to be opened by unlocking any one of the multiple padlocks. If one of the locks is opened and the gate is not re-locked, you know who the culprit is.

Thanks greasemonkeyok and AAron. I hadn't seen that before (never looked for it either). Hard to tell from the pics, but I think I have an idea how it works.

Ken

/ Cell Towers #26  
On some family land we have a pipeline right of way. We use a simple lock system. Two locks on the same chain. Their lock hooks into our lock. We don't have a key to their lock and they don't have a key to our lock. Leaves no doubt as to who left the lock unlocked. We have never had a problem in the 35 plus years since my Grandfather bought the property other than the ruts they leave when clearing the right of way. On another piece of family property a power company has a right of way and their clearing crews always leave a MESS. If any way possible I will NEVER give anyone assess to my property unless it means retirement type money. Just not worth the hassle to me.

/ Cell Towers #27  
Our church has a cell tower on it's property. Takes very little room and is fenced and locked. Was there before the church bought so the church gets no money from it, but it did allow the church to get the property cheaper. A lot of cell towers are put up by tower companies like AmericanTower, not the cell phone companies, and they lease tower space out to cell companies. Can easily generate over $1k month. Highest point is not always the best, depends on the area and the number of subscribers and how they need tower spacing. In an urban area, they need to limit a cell area, so lower may be prefered. There are companies that continually map coverage areas for providers, and cell companies will adjust cells as required. Around me they will put up fake silo cell towers, fake oversized trees, oversized flag poles with antennas inside, or put antenna's on farmers existing silos.

/ Cell Towers #28  
Well there’s a fast answer.

/ Cell Towers #30  
So did the new poster delete his post, thought it was good information, even though it was 11 years later...

Did you guys scare him away???

PS. I did think it was pretty darn funny, though!!!