Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #1  

12VOLTMAN

Tractor
John Deere 4120
Question, now that I finally installed a 3rd function on my loader, I am starting to consider buying an FEL mounted snow plow. In reading through some past discussions, a lot of guys are recommending 'chain floating' the blade. My tractor is a John Deere 4120 with a 400X loader. The loader is heavy so I can see how this could be beneficial. My question is, does anybody sell a John Deere quick attach snow plow that has chain float? I'm having trouble finding one, and I really don't want to have to 'rig' something up on a brand new plow. Thanks

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #2  
Not sure about a JD plow, but lots of people adapt a SSQA plate to accept a standard plow. Just use the 3rd function to angle the blade and tip the loader back to lift the blade. This lets the blade float just like it would on the front of a truck.

I had one that was welded solid -- with no chain -- the weight of the loader broke it within a few hours. Just puts way too much weight on the blade. This pushes the blade out pretty far, but used plows without the truck mount, lights, and pump are plentiful and pretty cheap.

1696523014773.png

Last edited:
   / Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #3  
I built one for that series JD.
He got the JD "hook & pins" at Deere.
My pictures are on my computer and IF I can remember I'll post them. It's exactly what you describe. I 👍

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #4  
I bet this guy could fix you up.

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #5  
I made one. No big deal. It's a Western 7-1/2' rig on JD QA plates and some square tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_095321_01.jpg
    IMG_20221111_095321_01.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
   / Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #6  
Chain all the way. (y) I would recommend shortening the plow frame so the blade can be mounted as close as possible to the SSQA plate.
Having a rigid mount and using the float function on the loader arms tends to lift or at least lighten the front wheels.
It's more work, but I think mounting the plow to the tractor frame, like you would on a truck, works best.

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #7  
Chain works well and +1 on frame mounting. It minimizes the side push and keeps the overall machine shorter and easier to maneuver. My JD has a front subframe that is used for the mower mount and front blade mount that was easy to use for a snowplow mount.

plow4.JPG

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #8  
Question, now that I finally installed a 3rd function on my loader, I am starting to consider buying an FEL mounted snow plow. In reading through some past discussions, a lot of guys are recommending 'chain floating' the blade. My tractor is a John Deere 4120 with a 400X loader. The loader is heavy so I can see how this could be beneficial. My question is, does anybody sell a John Deere quick attach snow plow that has chain float? I'm having trouble finding one, and I really don't want to have to 'rig' something up on a brand new plow. Thanks
I don't think a commercially made snow plow with chain float is available in any form of loader quick attach. You'd have to make that yourself (or have it made). Frame mounting is a lot nicer to use than loader mount.

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #9  

/ Chain Float Snow Plow for FEL #10  
Like this maybe.... I realize my plow and what you need are probably 2 different animals but I got mine cheap at a local road commission auction and I have to run tire chains on the front wheels or it will tend to 'plow steer' me in deep snow. I did have to replace the bottom wear steel, but that wasn't a big deal and I've since added wheels on the plow instead of the original skid shoes because with the skid shoes on a gravel driveway, they tend to tear it up. It's a heavy bugger but my tractor is well capable of handling it.

Attachments

• 100_0005.JPG
    100_0005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 100_0009.JPG
    100_0009.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 100_0006.JPG
    100_0006.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • 100_0040 (1).JPG
    100_0040 (1).JPG