Chaining down a Power Trac

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #1  

joshlee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1430 Year made 2016
35A875F3-A5CE-46ED-9499-6E3A59812E35.jpeg Has anyone had an issue with bending any of this with a chain binder when tightening the machine down on the trailer? I was curious. I’m not real sure about these wheel motors or the plate it is attached to, so I don’t tighten the pt down as much as other machines. Maybe someone out there has some helpful advice for me? Thanks.

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #2  
You need to be careful with the park brake mechanism. The brake applies with spring pressure, so any deformation of the parts will render it inoperative. The frame for the wheel motors can hold way more than twice the lift capacity of the tractor, so no issue there.
I use nylon straps and use the tow pin on the rear and the steering cylinder pin bosses to pull toward the front. But that is just me.

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #3  
When my PT-425 was shipped here they just chained it over the center tunnel. Which scraped all the paint off. :mad: So I repainted it and all is well now.

Looking at that picture, can you get the chain closer to the frame on the red part?

/ Chaining down a Power Trac
You need to be careful with the park brake mechanism. The brake applies with spring pressure, so any deformation of the parts will render it inoperative. The frame for the wheel motors can hold way more than twice the lift capacity of the tractor, so no issue there.
I use nylon straps and use the tow pin on the rear and the steering cylinder pin bosses to pull toward the front. But that is just me.
Thanks John 👍 That gives me a little more confidence I’m not messing anything up. Yeah, I know what your saying about the brake pins.

When my PT-425 was shipped here they just chained it over the center tunnel. Which scraped all the paint off. :mad: So I repainted it and all is well now.

Looking at that picture, can you get the chain closer to the frame on the red part?
Someone could strap it down there. A thought that came to mind would be to make 4 places on the trailer bed fitted with D-rings dedicated to putting short straps around that red part around the wheel motors, then tightened it down.

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #6  
I think that someone (@SpringHollow?) here put weld on hooks on the frame to make it easy to chain the tractor down. @MossRoad put a big hook in front between the wheel motors to do the same thing. All ways to get the force onto the frame in a nice solid place.

All the best,

Peter

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #7  
Yep. I mounted a large hook with a retainer clip on the front shelf of the machine right in the center down there between the bottom of the FEL lift cylinders. I use that and the rear tow-pin to chain it to my trailer.

The hook has come in handy a few times for pulling things from the front when I didn't want to use the FEL arms. Being down low like that, the tractor won't pull up on it's nose since it's below the line of the front axles.

Yep. I mounted a large hook with a retainer clip on the front shelf of the machine right in the center down there between the bottom of the FEL lift cylinders. I use that and the rear tow-pin to chain it to my trailer.

The hook has come in handy a few times for pulling things from the front when I didn't want to use the FEL arms. Being down low like that, the tractor won't pull up on it's nose since it's below the line of the front axles.
That hook sounds handy 👍 It’s always nice to have quick easy ways of getting things strapped down for hauling. The way power trac has their custom trailers set up for hauling looks alright, but I like having the attachment already hooked up and ready to go. To strap the machine down with the attachment already on it. Also, With the PT trailer hooking into the quick attach plate, I would think it would be nicer if the quick attach plate attached to the bed of the trailer would be on a swivel. This would make for easier locking in and releasing the quick attach.

/ Chaining down a Power Trac #9  
I have d-rings on the 425 & trailer jack mounts welded to the 1850. The jack mounts allow me to raise the rear using a trailer jack for tire/wheel changes or to insert a traction aid if I get bogged.

The jack mounts with a pin through them are easy to strap into.