Chains on

/ Chains on #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
Chains mounted using the “roll them on” method. No more heavy lifting and dragging.
These chains were originally sized to fit my old L4630 with industrial tires so they were way too small for the M6040 with ags.
I had to jury rig them to fit. the bigger, taller tires.

Attachments

• chains1.jpg
    chains1.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 163
  • chains2.jpg
    chains2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 158
  • chains3.jpg
    chains3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 149
  • chains4.jpg
    chains4.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 157
  • chains5.jpg
    chains5.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 173
   / Chains on #2  
THere is an easier way:

I have been mounting it pretty much as @LouNY describes in the first post. Hanging the loop on the tread as Lou described worked OK most of the time when my tires were newer, but as I've worn the tread down over the years, I've had trouble with it popping off the tire. Now I tie one end of the cord on, pass it through a hole in the rim and out the other side, then tie the free end back on to the chain. No chance of it slipping off that way.

The other change I made is that rather than tying to the ends of the side chains, I tie one end of the rope about 1/3 of the way along a cross chain, pass through the rim and tie the other end about 2/3 of the way along the cross chain. This leaves the side chains hanging free. I can connect them up while the rope is still tied one, then remove the rope when I'm done hooking up the chains.

Last edited:
   / Chains on #4  
Yup work smart not harder. (y)

/ Chains on #5  
I feel for the people in Buffalo and other locations getting the 5-6 feet of snow. I don't think even chains would help with such depth.

Guys in the military talk about any and everything. We were setting sound one night talking and one of the guys said what he hated about winter was shoveling the snow off the roof to keep it from collapsing. Say what....... We asked him what he was drinking and he said no it was true. First time us southerners had ever heard of that.

/ Chains on #6  
I feel for the people in Buffalo and other locations getting the 5-6 feet of snow. I don't think even chains would help with such depth.

Guys in the military talk about any and everything. We were setting sound one night talking and one of the guys said what he hated about winter was shoveling the snow off the roof to keep it from collapsing. Say what....... We asked him what he was drinking and he said no it was true. First time us southerners had ever heard of that.
My wife grew up right off the eastern end of Lake Ontario. Roof shoveling was a pretty common occurrence in that snow belt.

It doesn’t happen often where we live now in Vermont, but there is a good treason we built out house with a 10:12 roof pitch and a standing seam metal roof: no need to shovel.

/ Chains on #7  

Yep, been there, I was out one Xmas eve pulling 4 feet of snow off my roof. This is one of the reason why I replaced the shingles with a metal roof. Cleaning off a roof in a heavy storm is the worst job when it has to be done. I've seen roofs around here collapse under 2 feet of heavy wet snow, granted, always an older house that has not had proper roof maintenance, but then that's most people around here, they think that the shingles will last forever, but they don't and start leaking causing trusses to start rotting.

Last edited:
   / Chains on #8  
I use chains on my Kubota when I dress her all up for winter. I find taking the wheels off and using the work bench works for the small stuff. I don't bend the way I used to. My JD 4320 works fine without chains, but I don't have a steep driveway.

20221030_121502-jpg.768487

kubota-plow-jpg.771144

/ Chains on
I use chains on my Kubota when I dress her all up for winter. I find taking the wheels off and using the work bench works for the small stuff. I don't bend the way I used to. My JD 4320 works fine without chains, but I don't have a steep driveway.

20221030_121502-jpg.768487

kubota-plow-jpg.771144
Works good for small tires but my loaded rears weigh 700+ lbs