CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED
Thanks for input all you guys.
I do have certified ditributors for all 3 models local here so service I'm not too worried about. I also read the links and got a lot of good information there as well. The local distributor for Husky has some specials going right now where he's offering bar and chain and 2 extra chains.

For the time being, I'm leaning towards the Husky 350e (newest 350 model)...e for easy start there add says.
This seems to be a compromise between a bigger more expensive saw and the smaller less powerfull models. I thought about the Rancher 455 but it only has a tiny bit more power than the 350 but weighs more. Also the 350 has the least vibration of any of the saws we discussed here.

I'm also leaning towards the 18" bar but would like to get the 3/8" chain if they offer it in that model. If not, Skypup's input about the .325 chain cutting just as well is good information.

Now, I just have to get off my butt and go get one. Most of the trees here are Oak so I'll need some power for those that have been knocked down while building the road. I'll need to get a smaller saw(I presume) to do the limbing unless I start working out again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Again guys, thanks for taking the time to give all this good advice.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #12  
You will have to get a heavier more powerful chainsaw than a 50cc 3HP model to run a 3/8" chain instead of a .325.

The reason being is the wider kerf 3/8" requires more power, more power requires more weight, etc. etc. etc.

A 50cc chainsaw that puts out 3-3.5HP with a 20" bar and .325" chain and weighs less than 11 pounds is the absolute BEST all around saw you will ever use. (PERIOD)

Anything bigger, heavier, and with a wider kerf chain is going to be more difficult to operate and be functional on larger trees, etc.

The absolute two best chains saws that fit this profile are the Stihl 028 and the Husky 346 - both professional high power 50cc light weight powerhouse chainsaws. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi,
I'm wondering if any of you have any input on chainsaws. I'm comparing a MAKITA PRO 18" CHAINSAW 54cc DCS540-18 to a HUSQUEVARNA 52cc 18" Model 350e 52cc.

My question is, if I can get them for about the same price, which one is the better saw? I know it's a broad question and depends on my useage, but for those in the know, if you had a chance to buy one of these for the same price, which one would you get and why.
Thanks, )</font>

I was a factory service tech for MAKITA when they bought Dolmar, would guess that was about 10-12? years ago. In Canada they changed all the saws to blue about 6? years ago and sold off all the orange at a discount. I could have bought numerous models of chain saws for a very small amount of money. In the end I bought a couple of brush trimmers. The brush trimmers are OK but not great but the price was right. As far as the saws go in my opinion Stihl or Husky are far above the Makita/Dolmar.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #14  
If you decide to look at the Stihl's - look at the 260 Pro.
www.stihl.us/chainsaws/comparison.html

You can run a .325 or a 3/8 on it, however, you will also need to make sure your bar and sprocket match your choice.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #15  
I honestly have never heard of a Makita chainsaw, it doesn't mean anything against them though. Between Husky and Makita, I would chose Husky due to the popularity of their saws. Between Stihl and Husky, I've always been a Stihl man and with the luck I've had with them, probably always will be.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #16  
Hey, Rob, I just went thru this a few weeks ago.

I retired my old Echo 451 and bought a Makita cs34 for
crawling up slopes, and Husky 455 Rancher (24" mondo
bar and chain) for the big stuff.

Both great saws. I considered the Dolmar (Makita)
55 or 65 cc saws, but I got the Rancher for $342 delivered
and no extra for the longer bar.

You have a Husky dealer right there in 3Rivers.

-Dave

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED
Hi Dave,
Good to hear from you.
Yeah in 3R and also down South here near me. I'm definitely going with the Huskey from what everybody said. Seems I can't go wrong there, plus best prices and extra chains.

Should of seen the rain up in 3R last weekend. Almost got the Blazer stuck in mud hub high! Managed to edge her out though (sideways)! Ha!

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #18  
Go with Husky or Stihl....these are the two lines most pro loggers use. If taken care of and properly maintained they will last at least a couple decades.

...Bob

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED #19  
I have had an old Homelite for years and recently bought a Husky 357XP w/3/8" 72LG chain and 18" bar. There is really no comparison between the two. I am very happy with the Husky. It is only slightly heavier and much more powerful.

I bought from Norwalk Power Equip in CA and got the same bar, chain and two extra chains deal. Very nice folks to deal with. Also, it was about $100 less than the least expensive of my local dealers price without extra chains and while I would prefer to supporet a local dealer, that was two good a deal to pass up. I explained to my local dealer, who is not thrilled with Husky allowing Internet sales, but says he understandss the buyer's perspective, said he appreciated my candor and will provide service when needed.

/ CHAINSAW ADVICE NEEDED
MadDog,
Norwalk Power Equipment Company is the one that's near my So CA home. They are an authorized dealer. They've got great deals going with (2) free extra chains right now. I'm going there in person tomorrow to see which model Husky to buy .
The models I'll look at are the 350e. the 359 PRO and the 455 Rancher. I'm convinced from the feedback that Husky will be my best all around choice regardles of which model I end up with...price/performance/reputation, etc.
Thanks,