Chainsaw advice

/ Chainsaw advice #31  
And have a cut leg requireing a trip to the hospital and having a cosmetically damaged pair of chaps is a split second difference for someone who thinks common sense will absolutely protect him from all dangers.

soundguy

/ Chainsaw advice #32  
I am a big fan of Husky's. I do own Stihl's and Echo's. For the price I think Husky is a better value. They aren't giving them away just the same as Stihl.
Depending on how often and how large of wood you are going to cut. If you will be out cutting for hours at a time then go with a lighter saw. Keep a sharp chain on it and you won't wear yourself out nearly as fast. As mentioned Safety gear should be worn. All of those brands will cut you up at a moments notice.
I use premium gas with ethanol or methanol they both taste the same. :D I do use a good gas mix called Opti2. That stuff works great for the mixed gas. Cheap bar oil works fine as long as you keep the oil channel cleared out. Also scrape out the groove in the bar when you change chains or flip the bar over for even wear and tear. Also keep the cotton picking air filter clean! I get plenty of Joe Homeowners wanting me to tune and fix their broken saw. Clogged air filters and fuel tank filters are the first thing I look for. Then I clean the bar channels. After that I send them off with a sharp chain.

/ Chainsaw advice #33  
Didn't say it would protect from all dangers... A suit of armor wont either.. :)

/ Chainsaw advice #34  
But you don't have to concentrate on your chaps for them to work when the chainsaw hits the part they are covering.. if you are wearing them, whatever protection they are made to provide is there.....common sense requires attention... if your attention lapses, things can happen.

Loud noise near your head.. falling branch.. wad of bees / hornets.. snake striking.. etc.. all those might make a knee-jerk reaction and break your concentration for a half second and let that saw touch somewhere it shouldn't.

Common sense is good.. and if you are carefull, and no unplanned events happen.. or no events beyond your control happen ( tree unexpectedly splits or top breaks out ).. you should be fine..

I can't think of a good argument AGAINST wearing common protection devices.

Are you saying you can? I say practicing both is good... neaither are a replacement for the other..

soundguy

/ Chainsaw advice #35  
I've never even ran a chainsaw, but a guy I went to school with was doing it for a living and the saw came back and hit him in the neck. He died. A friend of mines dad, who I guess you could call a weekend warrior but has been cutting firewood for a lot of years, had his saw hit him between the eyes. Luckily, it hit him there or he would at least have lost an eye. I know he is not the careless type but I guess he wasn't doing something right. My point is, it could definitely happen to those who are just newbies.

/ Chainsaw advice #36  
Agreeed.. Can't replace one for the other!

1. Sharp chain (should see big wood chips if not SHARPEN)
2. Always cut with saw wide open (can help prevent snags/kickbacks)
3. Never cut when windy or rainy
4. Know the c-saws kick back danger zone - image below.
5. Always cut with someone near by
6. Don't cut above your sholders
7. Use a wedge!

Done ranting...

CHNSAW9.gif

/ Chainsaw advice #38  
Chaps and a helmet are cheap. Use them. You are NOT quicker than a chainsaw..

Helmets with the screen are great for running the weedwacker too.

/ Chainsaw advice #39  
Agreeed.. Can't replace one for the other!

1. Sharp chain (should see big wood chips if not SHARPEN)
2. Always cut with saw wide open (can help prevent snags/kickbacks)
3. Never cut when windy or rainy
4. Know the c-saws kick back danger zone - image below.
5. Always cut with someone near by
6. Don't cut above your sholders
7. Use a wedge!

Done ranting...

CHNSAW9.gif

How'd I get involved?:D

Since you brought it up, could you please explain the proper use of a wedge? I do understand the concept, just not sure I'd be using it right.

Wedge