Chainsaw Chaps do their job

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #11  
I am planning on buying a pair chaps myself. I like the ones Stihl has.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #12  
question on the pants. How do you think they would survive in the nasty brambles of blackberry bushes? The purpose of them, as I see it, is to shred when they are pulled. Brambles hold on sooo tight I wonder if the pants would hold up in my farm environment.

The Stihl's are very tough canvas type material, Ive never ripped them on brush, but I know Barbed wire will KO them in no time. the Webbing ties and leg straps do attract burrs thou

I really dont know what to think but I see they now make them in woodland camo.
I covered my sod knife in camo tape once. Never found it again. I would like to see my leg to not cut it off.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #13  
If you picked up the heavy chap type chainsaw pants like I am using I would think that they would hold up well. They have a very heavy corduroy outer shell that works pretty well. The reason I know about that is I was out using the chainsaw to cut through huge clumps of blackberries a few weeks ago. These clumps are about 8' high and the easiest way is to chainsaw through them. The chaps worked out well to keep me from getting torn up by the blackberry bushes. Along with the fact that if I happened to have the chainsaw flip back my legs are protected.
Now the climbing pants in the previous post are nylon outers I think and would snag and shred easier.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #14  
If you picked up the heavy chap type chainsaw pants like I am using I would think that they would hold up well. They have a very heavy corduroy outer shell that works pretty well. The reason I know about that is I was out using the chainsaw to cut through huge clumps of blackberries a few weeks ago. These clumps are about 8' high and the easiest way is to chainsaw through them. The chaps worked out well to keep me from getting torn up by the blackberry bushes. Along with the fact that if I happened to have the chainsaw flip back my legs are protected.
Now the climbing pants in the previous post are nylon outers I think and would snag and shred easier.

Do you really mean corduroy or cordura. Iv found real corduroy will run very easily should you get the smallest tear or snag.

mine are about 4 years old and I think the shells are 600d cordura (nylon):)

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #16  
Hi,

For what this is worth the USDA sponsors free chainsaw use classes including how to safely fell a tree. Check with your local USDA office or farm supply.

After attending one at our local farm supply that included a demo of the chaps stopping a saw I purchased a pair for my wife and a pair for myself before leaving.

For small limbing jobs I just use a hand saw, it's easier and takes less time than firing up a chainsaw. Sure it's not a power tool but I'm lazy.

Stay warm

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job
I have the Stihl brand. They held up fine as I waded through heavy brush, including a prickly shrub we call Yaupon. Plus, it did okay with the occasional blackberry vine.
The chainsaw hit right on the cargo pocket, so it cut through the pocket and the regular outer layer, then dug into the kevlar fibers. It didn't get through the inner layer. Good thing, too. I was only wearing a pair of sweat pants underneath.
The chainsaw is new. This is only the second time I've used the chainsaw. It is a Homelite Pro 20 inch model. The engine won't throttle down when you release the trigger. I assume it has some kind of centrifugal clutch to engage the chain. I'm guessing that the engine never slows enough to disengage the chain.
I sent an email to Homelite about it. I'll let y'all know their response.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #18  
Get that saw fixed quick my friend before you really get hurt. Make sure your choke isn't sticking. Or check the linkage to see if the trigger spring has come off..

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #19  
I will second that something is not right it should throttle down as soon as you release the trigger.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #20  
The way to cut blackberries is with a 501 Ford sickle mower. Works real slick any mower would work.