Chainsaw Chaps do their job

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #21  
The way to cut blackberries is with a 501 Ford sickle mower. Works real slick any mower would work.

Yeah I would love it if it were that easy. These blackberries were growing through the neighbors 3 strand wire fence..Sickle mowers and wire fencing probably aren't a good combination.:eek: The other blackberry job was on the side of a ravine.. Tumbling the tractor might have spoiled my day. So if I am lucky enough to get a job on flat ground then maybe I can try it the easy way....:) I do get to use my boxblade with the ripper teeth to clear out the blackberries at my Mom's place when the ground is a little harder to see how that works...

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #22  
Glad you are okay.

If that chainsaw is new and doing that, I'd take it back to exchange it or for them to fix it. When you release the trigger, it should go back to idle.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #23  
Glad the chaps worked as advertised. I am real believer in using them. Have a surgeon friend who gave me a very graphic description of how hard it is to sew up chainsaw wounds. That sold me. Chainsaws do not cut flesh they tear and rip it up.

A good source for chainsaw safety gear is Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's .

MarkV

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #24  
Glad you came out on the winning end...whew.

Sharing you may just save another from nasty event.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #25  
   / Chainsaw Chaps do their job #26  
I hate to admit it but my chaps are still in the package after 3 years.

"My name is Jimmyj and I am a chainsaw dumba*s. I commit officially to the group that I make a resloution to wear them from now on."
:eek:

There is no excuse not too and I've just been lazy. Any yes, I cut through my coveralls and pants once without hitting my skin.

Thanks for the post and the reality check!

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #27  
I like the full wrap chaps such as the Husqvarnas:
Safety Chaps
which I haven't seen anywhere else. The lower leg buckle straps also wrap around which is better than the cheaper variant of just sewing to the chap surface. Three calf buckles shift less than the two buckle cheaper versions too. The down side is more cussing to get them off after being out at 0F for hours and having cold stiffened fingers....

The idea of the wraparound is that the chain can pull the partial chap covering around the leg and out of the way and reach YOU underneath. Don't know if that is a sales gimmick or not, but the additional cost/effort is negligible for full wrap vs. the other versions-- the hard part is just putting chaps on every time the chain saw is used.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #28  
well, looks like i need a pair....

the bad habbit part is, i'm out mowing on my tractor, think "let's cut this one little branch, oh, i don't need my chaps and they are clear back at the truck anyway....."

vs.

"i'm going to be cutting all day, it's cold anyway, i think i'll wear my chaps..."

That was me today..."I'm just going to trim a little trail, won't take long"...I didn't wear my chaps and cut thru my pants on top of my thigh. Didn't get me but what a scare!

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #29  
I have the Stihl brand...

The chainsaw is new. This is only the second time I've used the chainsaw. It is a Homelite Pro 20 inch model. The engine won't throttle down when you release the trigger. I assume it has some kind of centrifugal clutch to engage the chain. I'm guessing that the engine never slows enough to disengage the chain.

Your priorities are right -- name brand safety gear at least.

I agree with the idea of not using that saw until it is fixed and tested. Think what your leg is worth and then consider a Stihl or a Husky saw. I have one of each and they both last like a mother-in-law's curse, and the safety features work. Well, most of the time. My neighbor has a Stihl saw where he ran over the chain brake and broke it and he won't get it fixed.

/ Chainsaw Chaps do their job #30  
My neighbor has a Stihl saw where he ran over the chain brake and broke it and he won't get it fixed.
:confused:

Amazing. Buy a good tool and not use it right. I also feel that Husqvarna and Stihl are tops. I have had my Husq. for many years and have cut tens of cords of wood with it. Every 2 years I have it tuned up and any parts that need replacing done at the dealer and it's paid me back many times over.