Chainsaw recommendation

/ Chainsaw recommendation #11  
$350-$500 is a pretty large budget for just a 40cc saw.

I agree with arrow. Look at the dolmar PS350 and PS420. They are basically the same exact saw, with the 420 have a larger bore and thus a little more CC's and HP and of course $$$

For their size though, they are pretty peppy, and the anti-vibes on them are absolutly amazing. You dont even know the saw is in your hands. You just ahve to try one to believe it.

The PS350 and PS420 can be had for $250-$300. The 350 being closer to the $250 mark and the 420 being closer to the $300 mark.

IF you want a little more saw for your money, the PS5105 is in the $450 ballpark. It is VERY light for its size and power.

Next jump is the $550-$600 range dolmar 6400. It is more of a fullsized saw that will pull a 24" bar all day long. It is actually built on a 79cc platform thus it may be a bit big and bulky for what you want. Especially wanting something similar in size to that ryobi.

IMO, the 346xp is also an excellent saw, allthough I think husky is a little too proud of it. For its $500 price tag, I can think of a LOT more saws that will give me more for my money. Only way I'd ever consider buying one myself is if I found a killer deal on a used one.

/ Chainsaw recommendation
Wow! I love it when I post something and come back and BAM there is a ton of info. BTW, sorry for not getting back before now. Let me see if I can expand on some info. For those that do not know, the ryobi I have is a rebadged Red Max gz400. I have about 6 chains that I have and rotate them on as things dull. Then I take them all and have a local guy freshen them up and I have done this 4 or 5 times. I have been thru 3 or 4 bars. Some of these bars have actually been the wild thing bars (I have inherited 2 dead wild things) so they might not be very good quality.
I have cleared around 3 acres of post and black jack oak, and this is why I like the size of the saw. Most of the trees are only 12 to 16" in diameter and get really "branchy" just 10 to 15' up. This size saw seems to be a great fit for these trees.
Do you guys think, I am actually wearing it out? Is it in my head? I do know for sure the sprocket is about shot, but are these often replaced numerous times before the saw is really worn out?
He!! what do you guys think about the Red Max saws? I know I like this Ryobi/gz400, should I just get another for when this dies? I really am not looking to pay over $500 and so many of the saw seem to be $500+.
Thanks for the help, Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #13  
Thanks for getting back and adding a little more detail.

No, your saw is probabally not getting wore out. But if you want peice of mind, just take the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder. If it is all scrached/scarred up, it probabally isnt going to last much longer. IF it looks good, then you have your peice of mind.

I have no experience with redmax saws.

But personally, for routine 12-16" stuff, I would want a little more than a 40cc saw. But that is just my opinion. I like the PS350, but once things get over 6", I find myself wanting a faster cut.

For $500 or less, I dont think you will find a better and faster saw that is still very light (11.2lbs) than the dolmar 5105. And for a few bucks more, grab a 5100 muffler off e-bay and it will be even better. (This is according to xyz123, I personally have no experience doing this, but trust his advice)

Great! I will check out my saw tomorrow and go from there. I will keep you guys updated.
Thanks so much!
Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #15  
Hey gang, I come seeking advice. I have had a wild thing (pos) and then got one of the good Ryobi 10532's and it has been a pretty good saw. I have used it a ton and it has been very reliable and trouble free. I really like the saw, but it is starting to get worn out. It needs a new sprocket for the chain and might be getting somewhat weak. I really like this size saw for most of my work. Can you guys recommend a pro/semi pro saw in the $350 to $500 range that is similar in size and weight.
Thanks a bunch for the help, Dave

See your local Stihl dealer.

/ Chainsaw recommendation #16  
"These are old school Homelites that they don't make anymore..."-Turbys_1700

My mother in law bought me one for Christmas, 30 years ago. After 20 "homeowner" years, it finally wore out. So I bought another at Home Depot. Lasted about as long as it takes to say every curse word I know. . .

:thumbsup::laughing::thumbsup::laughing::thumbsup::laughing:

Now, that's funny right there!

/ Chainsaw recommendation #17  
Wow! I love it when I post something and come back and BAM there is a ton of info. BTW, sorry for not getting back before now. Let me see if I can expand on some info. For those that do not know, the ryobi I have is a rebadged Red Max gz400. I have about 6 chains that I have and rotate them on as things dull. Then I take them all and have a local guy freshen them up and I have done this 4 or 5 times. I have been thru 3 or 4 bars. Some of these bars have actually been the wild thing bars (I have inherited 2 dead wild things) so they might not be very good quality.
I have cleared around 3 acres of post and black jack oak, and this is why I like the size of the saw. Most of the trees are only 12 to 16" in diameter and get really "branchy" just 10 to 15' up. This size saw seems to be a great fit for these trees.
Do you guys think, I am actually wearing it out? Is it in my head? I do know for sure the sprocket is about shot, but are these often replaced numerous times before the saw is really worn out?
He!! what do you guys think about the Red Max saws? I know I like this Ryobi/gz400, should I just get another for when this dies? I really am not looking to pay over $500 and so many of the saw seem to be $500+.
Thanks for the help, Dave

I replace a sprocket at every third chain. I do not think your saw is worn out. You would really have to run a saw with a very lean mix of oil to gas to begin to scour the cylinder and thus lose compression. RedMax is now owned by Husqvarna ( bought in 2007) but are still made at the Redmax factory. For the money, your saw is not bad. I agree with LD1 and consider your saw small for 12 to 16" wood but if you do not see yourself cutting much more than occasionally after this acreage is cleared, this present saw should do ya. If you do want another saw, I'd step up to the Dolmar 5105 or if you have a Husky dealer close by, you would not be sorry with a 353. If you are an internet shopper, the Solo 656 is really nice as well. These are all low weight chain saws that can be easily used for limbing and felling.
I wouldn't hesitate getting another Redmax but I would step up a size or two.

Last edited:
   / Chainsaw recommendation #18  
If you can find a redmax 5000 they run pretty sweet. This one of mine was woods ported for pulp production and limbing. I put 3/8 on it and she still rips with authority.

Just pay attention, some of the redmax saws now days are huskys and vice verses. I liked the real redmax saws 3800 5000.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD_0M6ezvb8&feature=player_embedded]NW PA GTG Cut4Fun Redmax GZ5000 - YouTube[/ame]

/ Chainsaw recommendation #19  
Size depends on your usage. I just bought a Husqvarna Rancher. Best saw I've owned as far as being easy starting hot or cold. If I had been willing to spend an extra $200 . .. I would have got the Echo 60 cc. It has an automotive style filter and is easy to change Both saws are the best box store saws you can buy. Echo at Home Depot Husky at Lowes. You want one of the models with electronic ignition . . 40cc & up.
If you have to use ethanol gas . . . run it empty or drain it before storing it for extended periods.
Same applies to any small engine. I had a friend that stored a Cadillac for 3 years with ethanol gas in it . .. lost his fuel pump, gas lines, and injectors.
His gas tank was full of black crud . ..
Alcohol sucks up water over extended time

Well I took the muffler off to take a peak inside, and everything looks pretty good! I went ahead and started to clean the saw up and took the sprocket off (took making a special tool) and I have decided to keep this saw for now and throw a bit of money and maintenance at it. I remember reading ages ago on the arborist site that some people were using a different sprocket to open up the chain options, since I have to replace the sprocket does anyone have any idea's.
BTW, I really appreciate all of the advice so far, I hope I have not offended anyone by asking for advise and now deciding to keep my current saw.
Thanks, Dave