Chainsaw recommendation

/ Chainsaw recommendation #21  
Well I took the muffler off to take a peak inside, and everything looks pretty good! I went ahead and started to clean the saw up and took the sprocket off (took making a special tool) and I have decided to keep this saw for now and throw a bit of money and maintenance at it. I remember reading ages ago on the arborist site that some people were using a different sprocket to open up the chain options, since I have to replace the sprocket does anyone have any idea's.
BTW, I really appreciate all of the advice so far, I hope I have not offended anyone by asking for advise and now deciding to keep my current saw.
Thanks, Dave

There is no offense whatsoever. Just the opposite. At least you got back to all of us as every informed outcome helps someone else. It is way more offensive to have a list of postings to help someone out and that individual never gets back as to the outcome. That helps no one if the op just disappears.
I would not mess with what has worked well for you. Simply get a replacement sprocket that is part numbered for your saw as you have a saw that does not really lend itself to chain and sprocket deviations that a larger saw might take advantage of. The only thing I might change is getting a shorter bar if yours is not 16" already

/ Chainsaw recommendation
Yeah I was thinking of getting some of the 16" bar/chain combo's from baileys.
Thanks again!
Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #23  
If you are running 3/8LP Lo Pro chain. Try some Stihl 63PS3 3/8lp 050 full round chisel to wake your saw up in the cut.

hey xyz, if you do not mind? could you help me out with a link. When it comes to chains, if I deviate from what specifically is the style my saw came with it is all greek. BTW, are there any places that really describe all of these chain types? I understand the different chissel types, but all of the different numbers etc, are confusing. What exactly does 30lp mean?
Thanks, Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #25  
My 2cents worth. I have a 025 whitch is the same as a MS 250 Sthil. Power to weight to cost ratio it can not be beat. It is a good rever. I have worked mine hard for ten years. Not everyday like a Logger mind you but at least two saturday's a month most of the year I am doing somthing. No it does not have Farm Boss power. But for me it is great. If I were to upgrade from this to a pro saw I would look at the MS260 PRO. This saw has about the same weight as mine but quite a bit more HP. It is about a $500 to $600 saw compared to the one I have at $300.00 The only time I could use more power is sawing up Logs over say 16 inch on a regular basis. My saw is a super fast at limbing and cutting up smaller logs without tiring me out. I had a 044 years ago and they are a beast in the big stuff. Just consider what all you are doing , How strong is your back, do you want a big saw all the time. You my need two saws. The Huskys are good too. but I don't know there sizes

/ Chainsaw recommendation #26  
I've owned Poloun, Husqavarna, Stihl and Echo chain saws. I have two Stihl Chainsaws. they are nice saws. Much better then Poulan and Husky, which I consider low end saws. The Echo is much nicer then the Stihl, and while I'm curious about the Dolmer/Makita saws, I don't know of a local dealer. My Stihl dealer is also an Echo dealer. He pointed out to me all the advantages of Echo over Stihl, and now I'm sold.

Just like buying a tractor, only go where you can get suppport. Be sure that the dealer actualy supports it. When I took my Husqavarna in for work, I found out what a really crappy saw and company it was. Never again!!!!

Echo has a line that is sold at Home Depot that I don't know anything about.

What I have is sold at a dealer. It doesn't even look like the Home Depot saws, but I don't know if it's just the plastic, or if there are any other differences.

When reading recomendations, be sure to ask what other saws they have owned and used.

Eddie

/ Chainsaw recommendation #27  
My dad owned an older 4400 Echo for years that was stolen...
It performed flawlessly for a long time...
Started easy and ran strong...
Anti-vibe system was very good...
Echo's are very well made and very dependable...
In my mind, they're quality is top notch...
I really like the air filtration system...
That automotive air filter set up is the cats meow...
You can pick those saws up very reasonable on E-bay...
I've heard that their power is lower than comparable Stihl's and Huskys in their pro series but I don't know that for sure...
IMHO, the Dolmar line in the 5105 and 6000/7000 series are the best saws in their class...
The biggest issue with them is spotty dealer support...
I have a very good dealer within 25 miles that has had them since they opened shop in 1981...
That would be my personal choice of saws...

/ Chainsaw recommendation #28  
hey xyz, if you do not mind? could you help me out with a link. When it comes to chains, if I deviate from what specifically is the style my saw came with it is all greek. BTW, are there any places that really describe all of these chain types? I understand the different chissel types, but all of the different numbers etc, are confusing. What exactly does 30lp mean?
Thanks, Dave

I have already posted it before links below.

There is a thread on identifying stihl and oregon chain and Anatomy of chainsaw chain in the sticky threads and there is one on the new stihl chain 63PS3 http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/

Very cool! XYZ there is a ton of information in that link! I love it, I am a bit of a information junky.
Thanks guys, Dave

/ Chainsaw recommendation #30  
Did anybody get a copy of the "Carlton Chain Sharpening Complete Book" in PDF that they could share?