Chainsaw Sharpening

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #11  
I've been the dremel route..And "pretty good" when sharpening a chain just wasn't good enough (for me). But if satisfied with it, then go with it. :)

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #12  
Yep, you guys are right different sizes:( I just ordered the new one for my .325 Stihl chain, now I just got to make sure I grab the right one each time:D

Link?

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #14  
I use one of these EZE-LAP diamond chainsaw sharpeners in my drill. (I use the CSG model with the guide plate). Very fast and easy to use. I hand sharpened my chains for 15 years with a round file in a guide but never got anywhere near the sharpness and accuracy I get with one of these. I just wish they were this cheap ($4.95) in Australia. Over here they cost about $14 as I recall.

EZE-LAP Diamond Products - Chainsaw Sharpeners

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #15  
Dremel makes an attachment to sharpen chainsaws and works pretty good. So if you already have the tool get that attachment

:) I use my dremel when ever I need a hard sharpening, I can get them sharper then new. I normally hand sharpen but every now and then there are those hidden wonders in wood.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #16  
I have used the easy lap also. I found a 12V chain saw sharpner form harbor freight that is really just a 12V dremel type tool. I disposed of the round stone sharpner they provided and substituted the Easy lap. It does work well but doesn't reduce the raker.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening
I use one of these EZE-LAP diamond chainsaw sharpeners in my drill. (I use the CSG model with the guide plate). Very fast and easy to use. I hand sharpened my chains for 15 years with a round file in a guide but never got anywhere near the sharpness and accuracy I get with one of these. I just wish they were this cheap ($4.95) in Australia. Over here they cost about $14 as I recall.

EZE-LAP Diamond Products - Chainsaw Sharpeners

When you guys use power attachments to sharpen your chain how do you take off equal amounts off each cutting edge? When I file I file each link the same number of strokes at approx. the same pressure so they stay pretty even. I always worried about using a jig with a drill because I thought I might start getting uneven cutting action after a few sharpenings. Is this a non issue?

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #18  
When you guys use power attachments to sharpen your chain how do you take off equal amounts off each cutting edge? When I file I file each link the same number of strokes at approx. the same pressure so they stay pretty even. I always worried about using a jig with a drill because I thought I might start getting uneven cutting action after a few sharpenings. Is this a non issue?

It is important to keep both the teeth on opposite sides of a chain the same size or you cant make straight cuts.Youll notice this quick in large wood,the saw wants to cut circles:)Isometimes use a measuring caliper to try to keep them even.
ALAN

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #19  

DixieDog
In my opinion and experience, you have it figured out very well. :D :D That is precisely the problem that you don't have stroking with a file.

/ Chainsaw Sharpening #20  

Theres no jig involved when you use the Eze-lap in a drill. You just hold the rotating file against the tooth. I haven't noticed a problem keeping the edges even as long as I don't press too hard or for too long. This is especially important with a new Eze-lap sharpener because a new one is much coarser than an old one. But personally I find the performance of the chain when sharpened with the Eze-lap is so vastly superior to my old 'hand filed' efforts that concern about uneven sharpening is a bit of a non issue. Of course many of you guys are probably much better 'hand filers' than me so you might not be so impressed with the Eze-lap.

If you buy the Eze-lap I suggest you get the twin pack. If you've been hand filing for years you might be surprised how much 'Eze-lapping' you need to do to get the chain back into shape. Another little point for you guys over there... Eze-lap is a US manufacturer.