Oil & Fuel Change coolant every 2 years

/ Change coolant every 2 years #61  
I think not changing coolant will also shorten the life of radiators and heater cores as well. The additives in coolant do deplete in use, as well as when equipment sits. Those are what help protect seals and metals in the system.
GMs issue with their dex-cool was a chemical called 2-EHA that caused silicone based gaskets to soften. They changed the gaskets in newer models as a fix, but nearly every dex-cool copy (like prestone) contains it still. Sadly color doesn't indicate chemistry. It used to be fairly simple.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #62  
I think not changing coolant will also shorten the life of radiators and heater cores as well. The additives in coolant do deplete in use, as well as when equipment sits. Those are what help protect seals and metals in the system.
GMs issue with their dex-cool was a chemical called 2-EHA that caused silicone based gaskets to soften. They changed the gaskets in newer models as a fix, but nearly every dex-cool copy (like prestone) contains it still. Sadly color doesn't indicate chemistry. It used to be fairly simple.
Could you explain this a bit more? I’m a little confused, did GM change the antifreeze configuration or the gaskets? If the latter, what is it which the DexCool copies still contain?

/ Change coolant every 2 years #63  
Could you explain this a bit more? I’m a little confused, did GM change the antifreeze configuration or the gaskets? If the latter, what is it which the DexCool copies still contain?
GM changed their gaskets composition and left the 2-EHA in the coolant. Most copies still have that in them.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #64  
GM redesigned their engines (gaskets and cooling systems) to be compatible with DexCool. I know the issue went back to at least 1998, as I bought a used Pontiac with DexCool in it (it was on its second engine). I drained and flushed it out, and you would not believe the glop that came out. We ran that van for another 150k miles before trading it.
The current DexCool fluids are the same, and can do considerable harm if used in applications not recommended for Dex.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #65  
A lot of antifreeze products still have 2-EHA in them. It's not a problem if the materials in a cooling system are designed for them. Best advice is to avoid 2-EHA.
As to the "glop" mentioned, DexCool doesn't like to be in contact with air. That is what forms the glop and is why GM products now have sealed systems including the coolant recovery bottle.

I believe 2-EHA is specific to DexCool and clones. My Pontiac van did not have a sealed cooling system, which accounts for the mess I had to clean up. I bought it used from a Pontiac dealer, who told me they would not warranty the car for cooling problems if I used anything but DexCool. Back then they were still drinking the GM cool aid.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #66  
Truck has yellow extended life antifreeze and gets changed as Ford recommends every 5 years or 100k. Neighbor had John Deere 7 year old tractor that cavitated due to coolant neglect. I'm a believer in following mfrs guide for maintenance. Have never relaxed a radiator heater core or head gaskets. Have seen a lot of customer's vehicles fail due to lack of maintenance of cooling system. I'm just trying to share my experience after 35 years in the repair business. $30 worth of coolant and an hour of time seems like cheap insurance to me.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #67  
I believe 2-EHA is specific to DexCool and clones. My Pontiac van did not have a sealed cooling system, which accounts for the mess I had to clean up. I bought it used from a Pontiac dealer, who told me they would not warranty the car for cooling problems if I used anything but DexCool. Back then they were still drinking the GM cool aid.
Prestone uses 2-EHA in their all makes all models line. I am not comfortable using it. My Dad had thought anything green didn't have it, until he had issues with his cars. It was a giant PIA digging at MSDS sheets to find what was safe in the relics we use.
If the coolant meets Cummins CES 14603, it is a heavy duty coolant without 2-EHA.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #68  
Prestone uses 2-EHA in their all makes all models line. I am not comfortable using it. My Dad had thought anything green didn't have it, until he had issues with his cars. It was a giant PIA digging at MSDS sheets to find what was safe in the relics we use.
If the coolant meets Cummins CES 14603, it is a heavy duty coolant without 2-EHA.

Any idea about John Deere coolant?

/ Change coolant every 2 years #69  
30 years in the automotive business. nothing worse than a vehicle thats never had its coolant changed or engine oil seldem if ever changed.
Coolant nowdays is a real thorne for service work. It has to match what the manufacturer asks for. It was a PITA to have at least 6-10 kinds available.
If you follow manufactures guidelines its not uncommon to see 300,000 plus without any issues.
For all of you who dont change coolant at all or hardly ever please be upfront with any prospective buyer of your equipment or vehicle.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #70  
Any idea about John Deere coolant?
I don't believe any John Deere coolant contains 2-EHA. The older stuff was traditional heavy duty coolant that used SCAs, the newer is a GO-5, which while being a long life coolant, does not contain 2-EHA either.