Oil & Fuel Change coolant every 2 years

/ Change coolant every 2 years #71  
Do any oil change companies change coolant? Seems like it would be a logical add on to their business. The place I asked said they do not do it.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #72  
   / Change coolant every 2 years #73  
Do any oil change companies change coolant? Seems like it would be a logical add on to their business. The place I asked said they do not do it.

Planning to drive your tractor to the local Quickie Lube?

/ Change coolant every 2 years #74  
Planning to drive your tractor to the local Quickie Lube?

No, but since the thread morphed into GM, Pontiacs and auto mechanics, I thought I would ask. But I now wonder what Quickie Lube would do if I drove up on one of my tractors. :confused2:

/ Change coolant every 2 years #75  
5 years for the cars/trucks. Stopped dexcool supposedly eats stuff if left any longer (lost a water pump gasket and that was the suspected cause).

Tractor gets drained and filled with fresh every spring.

Cheap insurance.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #76  
   / Change coolant every 2 years #77  
I have read several posts on this thread inferring that cavitation around the top of the cylinder liner and cylinder head on diesel engines and the subsequent damage is somehow caused by electrolysis that resulted from not changing antifreeze. Having bad antifreeze can cause many problems, and it may contribute to this, but is usually not the primary problem. The cavitation is caused by the piston vibrating, or slapping against the sleeve resulting in wave that creates the cavitation. The pressure waves caused by vibration allow air bubbles to form on the coolant surfaces which create a condition for corrosion erosion to occur. It is a common problem that can be contributed to by numerous factors such as low antifreeze levels, worn pistons, a bad radiator cap (not allowing the cooling system to pressurize), liners that are not snug, and other things. Look it up on the internet, there are numerous articles on the subject.

I know of a pair of diesel engines on a large ocean going fishing boat that had a severe, re-occurring problem in this area despite having the factory recommended antifreeze being changed out on an annual basis. Their particular problem, as finally determined by Caterpillar, was caused by setting things up to make the engine run too cool for long periods of time. They fixed that and the problem disappeared.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #78  
Fishing boats use antifreeze? I had assumed they just used sea water for cooling, like any recreational boat engine.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #79  
Fishing boats use antifreeze? I had assumed they just used sea water for cooling, like any recreational boat engine.

My Sea-Doo watercraft has a closed cooling system that uses antifreeze. It is pumped through the ride plate near the jet pump.

/ Change coolant every 2 years #80  

Can be either way but using an exchanger makes for a whole lot less corrosion problems, certainly on saltwater.