Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #41  
Way back before modern chargers we had a wooden charge bench for the winter... the charges were left on all winter with a timer to cycle...

Found 5 minutes a day did a good job...

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #42  
I have read that these are worth using. Haven't tried one yet but planning to.

I have used a higher cost solar charger that works great. I keep a 10w Instapark charger on unused vehicles and have a 30w version on my gate opener. I would have to charge the gate opener battery 3 or 4 times per year when I had the 10w charger on it. Haven't had it beep once since I upgraded to the 30w.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #43  
I have a Battery Tender Plus, and a few solar powered tenders. I use them on the trucks, Jeep, RV, skiff, troller and even the tractor. The tractor was hard wired with a plug on the battery for that Battery Tender Plus and it just plugs in. Simple, takes all of 20-30 seconds after I shutdown the tractor. It might sit a day or a week or two, so the tender is a good solution.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #45  
Just curious as to why don't you like the Battery Tender brand?

I've never cared for the looks of it, which really does not matter. The Noco and Ctek come with nicer alligator clips. The connector on the battery tender is cheap, the NOCO/ CTEK is better. Most battery tenders are not waterproof were most NOCO/ CTEKS are. The Nocos have more charge modes, cold, lithium, and 6/12v or 12/24v. The larger Noco's offer even more features like jump start, desulfation, and a supply mode. The Noco's charge twice as fast as a charger of the same amperage.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #46  
Thanks Bullitt. I have a couple BTs but will look into the others on next purchase.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #47  
I guess I'm a battery charger junky... from my old Baldor of the 1950's to lots of modern ones...

Still looking for the one that can bring back batteries from the dead... as in a couple of years...

So which charger is the best for sulphation?

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #48  
Thanks Bullitt. I have a couple BTs but will look into the others on next purchase.

If you check into the NOCO's skip the G750 and go to the G1100. The G1100 is on a few bucks more and it does more than the 750.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #49  
I left one attached perhaps half the time through a winter on a tractor that was only used occasionally. It boiled out far more water than I expected. I found the water level down exposing the plates 2~3 times during the winter.

Now I use it only as a charger, left on for a couple of days, and only after I see that battery voltage is below 12.5 volts.

These don't have any shutoff. They are supposed to reduce current as the voltage rises - but I'm not convinced they do.

========

I like the idea that I saw in a prior thread, mounting a cigarette lighter socket as a charging point and also to draw power for a sprayer. Be sure to include a fuse in that circuit! I darn near burned up the tractor and the tree I stopped under when I turned the watering trailer too sharp, and crimped the wire going back to the trailer. I didn't think lightweight clips on the battery, same cheap clips as that charger, could draw enough current to burn 18 ga lamp cord. Wrong. Luckily I was wearing gloves and got the clamp off the battery before I burned up more than just that cable. My watering circuit is now fused!

The battery tender I bought (yes, from HF) only puts out 1/2 an amp. It isn't supposed to charge up a dead battery, just maintain voltage. The manual says it won't overcharge and shuts down when it reaches target voltage. And yes, I put a fuse in it, primarily for the sprayer.

/ Charge your equipment batteries and they last a lot longer #50  
I guess I'm a battery charger junky... from my old Baldor of the 1950's to lots of modern ones...

Still looking for the one that can bring back batteries from the dead... as in a couple of years...

So which charger is the best for sulphation?

I like battery chargers too. I think I have 13:eek:

I am not sure which is the best for sulphation. I have only used a Noco genius G7200 and G26000 for desulphation. I have not tried any other brands to compare. I know some guys on here have had good luck with the Battery Minder brand but I have read bad reviews on the reliability of them. Cteak can desulphate a battery. Someone on here recommended a Wizbang which looks cool.