CHeap chainsaw?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #41  
I bought a factory reconditioned 16" Homelite about 8 years ago and love it. I am on my third chain (sharpened thr first two until there was nothing left to sharpen).

I did have to put a carb kit in it this spring, but it still runs/starts great and the antivibration handles make it easy to use even on ling cuts.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #42  
Yes back then they were a real good saw, now they are made by electrolux. Most all the cheap saws are made by electrolux, poulan craftsman mc's homelite low $ husky etc..
Husky, cheap? Not in this part of the country. You also left out Jonsereds.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #43  
Husky, cheap? Not in this part of the country. You also left out Jonsereds.

I'm talking about the low $ husqvarna sold in the big chain stores{lowes homedepot TSC etc..} The guy up the road bought 2 because he thought they were a good deal, he's had nothing but trouble. I've also talked to a few other guys that have had trouble with them. Husqvarna wanted a cheaper saw to try and get some of the home owner business{little use}. So they let someone else build there cheaper saws. I'm sure their sales are what they're interested in, but IMO this has MISTAKE written all over it. I'm sure their high end saws are still fine quility, but I'll never buy one! I'll stick with my stihl's even though they have a home owner model they are still the ones making it.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #44  
Gotcha. I use my saw too much to even consider a cheap one. I did consider a poulan for a truck /ATV saw; if it got stolen I wouldn't be out much. But I can a used Stihl from my local saw shop' for not much more money.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #45  
If you look at the Husquavarna, the good ones will say "Made in Sweden". I actually bought mine at a box store, long time ago and it happened to be a "good" one(made in Sweden). Had it now for about 9 years without a minutes problem. I threw out 2 old Poulans about a year ago, they were junk.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #46  
Did it burn the outer cases of the saw or just the plastic? If the cases are ok Id like to buy them from him. That is the old two trigger model isnt it? I ran over mine and broke the case. :eek:
larry

I was referring to the super XL that burned up.mine is the little xl that is all plastic and still running. the fuel line in the super XL had a leak and it went all over the muffler and caught on fire. There is no plastic stuff on the super XL. all metal and no springs. it's beyond rebuilding and sad to say it was one of the best saws wewe ever had. However I finally managed to snag one off ebay recently for him and gave it to him last weekend. We went out and cut several huge elm trees that were dead and it ran great.

Sorry spyderlk, I dont have any homelite to sell.:(

/ CHeap chainsaw?
The response to this posting is really amazing!

Gosh when I put it out here it was mainly just to let people know that CPO was pushing out a bunch of cheap chainsaws.

They seem to be the sales outlet arm for many of the manufacturing companies, like Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch just to name a few.

One thing is for sure! I would never buy a cheap chainsaw ,,,,,,,,, and if I did I would not tell this group about it!! Just joking

Wayne

/ CHeap chainsaw? #48  
The response to this posting is really amazing!

Gosh when I put it out here it was mainly just to let people know that CPO was pushing out a bunch of cheap chainsaws.

They seem to be the sales outlet arm for many of the manufacturing companies, like Porter Cable, DeWalt, Bosch just to name a few.

One thing is for sure! I would never buy a cheap chainsaw ,,,,,,,,, and if I did I would not tell this group about it!! Just joking

Wayne

:D:D:D
I made the big mistake of buying 2 cheap Craftsman/Poulans about 12 years ago. They were in a big pile of clearance stuff. They are 34cc and 36cc 16" saws. They both came with a case and one of them came with an extra chain. I paid $35 for one $50 for the other one.:eek:

They were brand new. I did have to adjust the carbs to get them to run like I thought they should.:eek:

They haven't had a lot of use, but they start every time and cut what I need to cut. I had to resist the urge to buy a new 34cc 16" Poulan at Sears a couple of days ago. It didn't have a case but it was new in the box and it had been marked down to $71 from $149. They had a special sale event where everyone got an additional 10% off so I could have taken it home for $65. I am a sucker for a good deal so I was on my way to the cash register with it when my wife caught me.:eek:

She said "so did you finally wear out those other saws?":confused:
ummm well no...:eek:

"did your new Husky 372XP break?...:confused:

"did somebody steal the 2 big electric chain saws that didn't get burned up in the barn fire?":confused:

....ummmm...well no...:eek:

"O.K. then, you have 3 gas saws and 2 big electric chain saws and you need this one?":confused:

like the dumb *** I am I said......ummmm...well no.....and I put it back.:(

Of course a real man needs more than 5 chain saws especially if most of them are "junk".....and you can buy them fom little more than the cost of a bar and chain.:D:D:D:D

/ CHeap chainsaw? #49  
:D:D:D
I made the big mistake of buying 2 cheap Craftsman/Poulans about 12 years ago. They were in a big pile of clearance stuff. They are 34cc and 36cc 16" saws. They both came with a case and one of them came with an extra chain. I paid $35 for one $50 for the other one.:eek:

They were brand new. I did have to adjust the carbs to get them to run like I thought they should.:eek:

They haven't had a lot of use, but they start every time and cut what I need to cut. I had to resist the urge to buy a new 34cc 16" Poulan at Sears a couple of days ago. It didn't have a case but it was new in the box and it had been marked down to $71 from $149. They had a special sale event where everyone got an additional 10% off so I could have taken it home for $65. I am a sucker for a good deal so I was on my way to the cash register with it when my wife caught me.:eek:

She said "so did you finally wear out those other saws?":confused:

"did your new Husky 372XP break?...:confused:

"did somebody steal the 2 big electric chain saws that didn't get burned up in the barn fire?":confused:

....ummmm...well no...:eek:

"O.K. then, you have 3 gas saws and 2 big electric chain saws and you need this one?":confused:

like the dumb *** I am I said......ummmm...well no.....and I put it back.:(

Of course a real man needs more than 5 chain saws especially if most of them are "junk".....and you can buy them fom little more than the cost of a bar and chain.:D:D:D:D

Nice! :D

/ CHeap chainsaw? #50  
I was referring to the super XL that burned up.mine is the little xl that is all plastic and still running. the fuel line in the super XL had a leak and it went all over the muffler and caught on fire. There is no plastic stuff on the super XL. all metal and no springs. it's beyond rebuilding and sad to say it was one of the best saws wewe ever had. However I finally managed to snag one off ebay recently for him and gave it to him last weekend. We went out and cut several huge elm trees that were dead and it ran great.

Sorry spyderlk, I dont have any homelite to sell.:(
Just so were on the same page I went and looked. I have 2 XL-2 saws and a Super 2. All metal, but handles broke off the XL2s when I ran over em. Super 2 OK but needs attention to the chain oiler pump. Im pretty sure the XL of yore was all metal circa 1980. It had a slightly smaller displacement than the XL2 and a 10" bar w/o sprocket tip.... I think.:confused:
larry