CHeap chainsaw?

/ CHeap chainsaw? #61  
I think that saw has a bigger engine than my tractor! :p

Poulan used to make a nice 5.2 cubic inch saw, it looked like this. :eek::eek:
It was not for the weak of arm...:D:D:D:D, I had a similar one for 20+ years..
Parts are still available for it.

They used to make some very good large saws.:D:D:D

Attachments

• 3m23o13l3ZZZZZZZZZ96jd8498f5ea5f61943.jpg
    3m23o13l3ZZZZZZZZZ96jd8498f5ea5f61943.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 3p13o23lbZZZZZZZZZ96j8c8ecd3e9db21ad0.jpg
    3p13o23lbZZZZZZZZZ96j8c8ecd3e9db21ad0.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 182
   / CHeap chainsaw? #62  
Not wanting to be the skunk at the garden party on this one I have held back a few comments but with some basic research on the topic I found it interesting that Poulan apparently has the largest chainsaw factory in the world in Nashville Arkansas and that Husky is its own company again (Electrolux set it up in 2006). Might want to spend the 100 bucks or less just to support the economy:eek::eek::eek:

/ CHeap chainsaw? #63  
LOL! It isnt bad,I used it for about an hour straight this week,no problem at all handling it,im sure when im 60 I wont feel the same,but at 39,Its no problem now,actually easier than fighting with a small underpowered overheating saw that is being overloaded.I love that 395. The 372 is a great saw as well.I want a 346,but cant justify the cost,as my 345 is paid for,and does 90% of what a 346 can do.Also most of the wood I cut is a little big for a 346,as the 372 would actually be easier on you,as mine is ported,and has almost twice the power of a 346.Cuts are made in half the time,your holding more weight but for a lot less time.I really want a Makita 6401 or a dolmar 7900,thats probably the next one Ill get.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #64  
Not sure anyone is reading thinking they need a cheap saw right now, but black friday Menards has a 99 buck 20" chainsaw, not sure of the brand? it is BLUE lol. But 99 bucks for a 20" saw is pretty cheap but it is a black friday deal, so might be limited number and or door opener type thing...

Mark

/ CHeap chainsaw? #65  
Not sure anyone is reading thinking they need a cheap saw right now, but black friday Menards has a 99 buck 20" chainsaw, not sure of the brand? it is BLUE lol. But 99 bucks for a 20" saw is pretty cheap but it is a black friday deal, so might be limited number and or door opener type thing...

Mark

The best deal I have seen on a big cheap chainsaw is the 55cc Poulan with the 22" bar at TSC for $199. It is so new it isn't even listed on the web site, but if you look at one in person it sure seems to be a nice saw for the money. I think the blue ones are made far far away...and parts may be hard to come by.:D:D:D Menards seems to have a lot of that kind of stuff.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #66  
The best deal I have seen on a big cheap chainsaw is the 55cc Poulan with the 22" bar at TSC for $199. It is so new it isn't even listed on the web site, but if you look at one in person it sure seems to be a nice saw for the money. I think the blue ones are made far far away...and parts may be hard to come by.:D:D:D Menards seems to have a lot of that kind of stuff.

I might have to take a look at that 22" "Pullin" I have 3 or 4 BIG slippery Elm dieing, one "kroaked"last year one this year and one will be done for next year. all prolly same age and 36" at the butt end. Were probably the best BIG trees in my woods when I bought the place. The one is already dead enough to start loosing branches and the other two are not far behind. The Slippery Elm lasted about 15~20 years longer than the Red/White Elms did around here with the dutch elm bugs. The Slippery Elm is near as hard as the Red/Rock elm but has better grain if ya wanted to mill it into something... Also burns great ;) Wish I could find a market for the bark it is used in many medications & vitamins and supposed to bring a good penny...

mark

/ CHeap chainsaw? #67  
I might have to take a look at that 22" "Pullin" I have 3 or 4 BIG slippery Elm dieing, one "kroaked"last year one this year and one will be done for next year. all prolly same age and 36" at the butt end. Were probably the best BIG trees in my woods when I bought the place. The one is already dead enough to start loosing branches and the other two are not far behind. The Slippery Elm lasted about 15~20 years longer than the Red/White Elms did around here with the dutch elm bugs. The Slippery Elm is near as hard as the Red/Rock elm but has better grain if ya wanted to mill it into something... Also burns great ;) Wish I could find a market for the bark it is used in many medications & vitamins and supposed to bring a good penny...

mark

I looked at them again today, it is model number 330, very business like saw with easy air cleaner access and removable tooth bar. I think it has a full profile chain rather than the low profile chain used on the smaller saws.

The home depot stores in my area have a 42cc 18" Poulan Pro sale priced at $99:eek::eek:...so many saws....so little time....:D:D:D

/ CHeap chainsaw? #68  
I called Poulan today regarding my Poulan Pro PP4218AVX and the tool less chain tensioner. It never stays tight and tosses chains often. There are many comments on many websites referring to problems people are having with this system. I asked them about it and they said they can send me a kit that does away with the tool less tensioner and makes it a tool required tensioner.... that is, I can tighten it with a wrench. :) The kit has a cover and some nuts. They are shipping it to me. I asked how much it will cost? Nothing. It is under warranty. :) Should be here in a week. Will report back once it arrives.

/ CHeap chainsaw? #69  
I called Poulan today regarding my Poulan Pro PP4218AVX and the tool less chain tensioner. It never stays tight and tosses chains often. There are many comments on many websites referring to problems people are having with this system. I asked them about it and they said they can send me a kit that does away with the tool less tensioner and makes it a tool required tensioner.... that is, I can tighten it with a wrench. :) The kit has a cover and some nuts. They are shipping it to me. I asked how much it will cost? Nothing. It is under warranty. :) Should be here in a week. Will report back once it arrives.

That is good to hear. I am pretty sure that they will be sending out a lot of those conversion kits.

The arborists site http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=115075
Has a lot of good information about the Poulan 330 Many of the users there realy like it. One guy installed a shorter bar on it to make it a little more user friendly, this is what it looks like.:D:D:D

He also removed the stupid standard bumper spikes that prevented the use of about 2 inches of the bar and replaced them with a better designed set.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,342
  • !BfvP1sQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkQErzJ15PbrBLCcKoHto!~~_3.jpg
    !BfvP1sQ!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkQErzJ15PbrBLCcKoHto!~~_3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
   / CHeap chainsaw? #70  
I was waiting for this site to be brought up.

Do not go there unless you desire to be inflicted with CAD :D

Seriously! Since going there for some simple info(they are great over there!), I know have a basket case Stihl 024 Super on the bench getting ready for bearings and seal. I have also been eyeing an 041, an 056, and a couple other saws...

When all of the sudden you have a bunch of new or used chain saws collecting, dont say I did not warn you :D

Really though, that is a great site. Lots of VERY knowledgeable people there.

The arborists site http://www.arboristsite.com
Has a lot of good information

Attachments

• Stihl 024AVS.JPG
    Stihl 024AVS.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 721
Last edited: