Rotary Cutter Check all your bolts...!!!!

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #11  
I try to use lock-nuts in place of nuts that I have found were loose, and I add thread-locker before tightening loose bolts.

Given the amount of 'stuff' with nuts and bolts that I have collected over the years, I could spend most of my life just looking up torque values and re-torqueing nuts and bolts, "in accordance with manufacturer's recommended service intervals".

PS I'm the same guy that skipped reading the two pages of safety warnings on wife's new vacuum cleaner, but please don't tell anyone.;) Especially the guy with the antlers!

Last edited:
   / Check all your bolts...!!!! #12  
Properly torqued joints dont move.
larry

Just like the IRS is here to help, and the check is in the mail........right? ;)

Properly torqued bolts can, and will, loosen- Murphy's law!:laughing:

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #13  
Properly torqued bolts can, and will, loosen- Murphy's law!:laughing:

So true!

I started off with all the nuts tightened right up but folks be saying lately that I might be be working with a few loose one's!:laughing:

/ Check all your bolts...!!!!
" PS I'm the same guy that skipped reading the two pages of safety warnings on wife's new vacuum cleaner, but please don't tell anyone. Especially the guy with the antlers! "

Roy said they are horns....I think he gets pretty upset if you call them antlers...:laughing:

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #15  
Just cross thread them and tighten them with a 3/4 drive socket set.

They will never be tight but the will never come loose either. Not sure how my FIL did that but it seems to still be working. :D

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #16  
Properly torqued joints dont move. Thats why they dont loosen under vibration. If you have things loosening short of damage to the clamped part then the design is faulty.
larry

I believe they safety wire many of the nuts on jet engines. I doubt that the design is faulty.

Just cross thread them and tighten them with a 3/4 drive socket set.

They will never be tight but the will never come loose either. Not sure how my FIL did that but it seems to still be working. :D

Just put a few drops of battery acid on the threads before tightening up. That should secure the nuts ;-)

Ken

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #17  
I believe they safety wire many of the nuts on jet engines. I doubt that the design is faulty.
Ken
That is to show that attention was paid to that fastener. If it is not fully tight at least it wont loosen by unscrewing. Basically done to lessen the effect of human error. If those fastened joints are moving they are loosening by wear and problems are brewing that the safety wire only forestalls, while at the same time preventing checking the fastener. It would be interesting to know whether the safety wire has come into play at disassembly or if its just thru the hole sitting idly as it would be in a proper design properly assembled.
larry

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #18  
Properly torqued joints dont move. Thats why they dont loosen under vibration. If you have things loosening short of damage to the clamped part then the design is faulty.
larry

Well, I disagree with you...and I think most Mechanical Engineers would disagree with you....undoubtedly Deere disagrees with you...but you are welcome to your opinion.

Place I work at rebuilds bus transmissions and assembles train couplers for light rail. Every torqued fastener is striped.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #19  

Ken

Yes they do safety wire most fasteners (nut as well as bolts) on jet engines as well as many other aircraft components. I did a bunch of safety wiring when I was in the Navy.

Any assembly moves...any assembly (next time you fly, watch the wings). That movement as well as heat expansion and cold weather contraction can cause fasteners to loosen up.

Automotive engine heads are a bit of an exception. Head bolts or studs are designed to "stretch" which results in constant tension, thus maintaining the torque.

/ Check all your bolts...!!!! #20  
" PS I'm the same guy that skipped reading the two pages of safety warnings on wife's new vacuum cleaner, but please don't tell anyone. Especially the guy with the antlers! "

Roy said they are horns....I think he gets pretty upset if you call them antlers...:laughing:

Well, who ever saw antlers on a bull?