Chevrolet brake line corrosion

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #11  
I just finished doing the rear line on my 2500HD monday. I had removed the bed to needle scale, encapsulate, prime and paint the frame. The line looked bad so I replaced it before I put the bed back on. The rear line is a pain with the bed on, as you have to remove the fuel tank to gain access to the clips. Way easier to Zip out the 8 bed bolts with an impact and 18mm socket and lift off the bed than drop the tank IMO.

Be aware that your truck uses bubble flares that require a different flaring tool than the old style double flares. Napa sells a decent bubble flare set for around 40 bucks. Your truck also has metric brake line tubing on it. 1/4 inch SAE tubing is what I use in place of the metric factory line, it is close enough in size that the factory line nuts will work fine. The only slight issue with it is most bubble flare jigs are sized for metric line only, and will leave a slight nurl on the outside of the 1/4 line when using the 6mm hole in the jig, this can make it a little tuff to slide your line nut up to the flare the first time. I just clean up the marks with emry cloth and tap the nut up with a plastic hammer.

I would recomend the 25 ft rolls of the nickel copper EZ bend brake line. It is all that I will use anymore due to the fact that it flares realy nice, you do not need a bender, and you can unbend your mistakes without kinking it. The only downfall is it is expensive. I paid $57.00 per 25 ft roll at the local federated auto parts.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #12  
What is a bubble flare and when did they start with this? I usually am working on old junk so this is something new to me.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #13  
What is a bubble flare and when did they start with this? I usually am working on old junk so this is something new to me.

I would say bubble flares became popular in the mid to late 90's. These days bubble flares are the norm on many if not most automotive brake systems. As for what it is, here is a side by side pic of a bubble vs a double flare.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    95.6 KB · Views: 383
   / Chevrolet brake line corrosion #14  
..........................and on a quiet night, you can here a Chevrolet rusting........

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #15  
If you've ever had one rupture while attempting to brake, you'll definitely fix them all at once. The brake pedal going to the floor is not a good feeling. Thank God for the emergency brake and sense enough to use it and low gear. 1991 Silverado, yeah another rusty truck but it is still running.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #16  
Only thing i have to add is that the HF flaring tool is junk (least the one i bought several years ago) it would do single flairs but not the double flairs needed for brake lines.

If you get a free loaner from like autozone etc, they are quality eastwood kit that work well.

its easy to flair the ends. the hard part is doing all the labor to pull the old lines off and install the new ones.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #17  
Don't forget to do your fuel lines at the same time. They will be in the same condition.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #18  
..........................and on a quiet night, you can here a Chevrolet rusting........

Probably because the Chevy's were out working in the salt while the Fords sat in the heated garage waiting on the wife to take it to the grocery store...
David from jax, with NO RUST ON HIS CHEVY's because they stay out of the salt.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #19  
Probably because the Chevy's were out working in the salt while the Fords sat in the heated garage waiting on the wife to take it to the grocery store...
David from jax, with NO RUST ON HIS CHEVY's because they stay out of the salt.

Ask any Ford owner about how their oil pans rusted through in 4 years....

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #20  
Rayon 03 thank you for the picture and explanation. Got two of the 7.3 fords. International and ford were both to cheap to paint them. Lab Metal on one JB Weld on the other. Ford should advertize that.