Chevrolet brake line corrosion

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion
I decided to order the Classic Tube set. They make a good looking product. Best of all it is made in America. :) I will be doing the job on Sunday and wanted to get it all done as fast as possible. I have been spraying the connections penetrating oil twice a day since Monday. Wish me luck!

BTW: I have seen many Fords with the heads sent to the machine shop because the spark plugs pulled out the treads. That makes an expensive tune up! No brand is perfect.

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #22  
If you've ever had one rupture while attempting to brake, you'll definitely fix them all at once. The brake pedal going to the floor is not a good feeling. Thank God for the emergency brake and sense enough to use it and low gear. 1991 Silverado, yeah another rusty truck but it is still running.

Had one blow out on my 1990 ranger in about 2004. It was the main line that fed the rear proportioning block. It blew out and lost most of my braking power causing me to rear end a car i slammed on the brakes to avoind in a yield area. Luckily i was going about 5mph when we hit, neither of us could see damage and i dont think he ever turned it in as i brought it up a year or so later and the ins company was like no we have no record of that , and i said, "OK nevermind forget i asked that"!! :laughing:

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #24  
I have a 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD that I recently purchased. The brake lines are rusted and now are leaking. After a internet search I have found out this is common. I was wondering how others have fixed this problem. I have found a site for Classic Tube that sells a prebent set of stainless lines, but are pricey at $330. I have a mechanic friend that says to go buy a 25' roll of tube and make it yourself. What is the best/easiest way? I am sure I am not alone with this problem. Tell me what you have done and would you do it differently if you had to do it again?

This is becomming an ever larger problem, the reasons are two-fold.

1) People are keeping their vehciles a lot longer, your truck is 10 YO, as little as 15 years ago it would not be suiltable for repair.

2) Mag-chloride is being used as an anti-ice agent and makes traditional "road salt" look like a rust preventative in comparisson. This cr@p should be outlawed. Have you heard about the I-35 bride collapse?

I have successfully replaced all the brake lines on the truck. Thanks to all who gave suggestions. The bed removal and the soaking with penetrating oil a couple times a day for a week were very helpful. I only had to use heat on 1 bleeder. Everything else came apart. I cut the lines on the anti-lock brake block and used a socket on those. Line wrenches are a must for this job. I would recommend the Classic Tube set. Not only are the new lines stainless, but they saved me some time by not having to flare them. I would have needed to get new fittings after it was taken apart. Read: extra trip to parts store. It was not that hard and was a good way to get to know the truck.

Thank for all the help!!

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #26  
Boy, you work quick. How were the rubber parts of the system?

Chris

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #27  
I have a 2001 Silverado with the same brake line problem. Someone recently told me that he heard that GM will be doing a recall on this. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

/ Chevrolet brake line corrosion #28  
I have a 2001 Silverado with the same brake line problem. Someone recently told me that he heard that GM will be doing a recall on this. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I know there is a recall on the 1500 PU and fullsize 1/2 ton SUV's at the moment, but last time I checked, the 2500 and 3500 PU's were not included.

Boy, you work quick. How were the rubber parts of the system?

Chris

I had to replace one of the front lines. I know I should have done all of them but it was a cash flow decision. Hopefully the cash will start flowing my way!! :)