Chicken Doody. We're Saved!

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #1  

StoneHeartFarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650/AC B210
Chicken Doody. We\'re Saved!

In the news yesterday they we're complaining about the quantity of chicken doody that is produced in this country and the problem with run off causing pollution, blah, blah, blah.

Then, they explained that a British company has figured out a way to use chicken doody to run a generator, and has already built a test plant in Britain, which is currently pumping out electric power.

Apparently, the State of Maryland is planning to build such a plant. Farmers will be able to SELL their chicken doody to the electric company, which will then use it to run their generators.

While I'm glad I'm not living down wind or on the shipping route, what I can't figure out is why Maryland? Wouldn't Washington DC be better?

SHF

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #2  
Re: Chicken Doody. We\'re Saved!

<font color=blue>Wouldn't Washington DC be better?
</font color=blue>

I think they have a different type of manure.

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together! (3)
Retired Yuppie Tractor Owner

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #4  

I don't know about burning chicken doody for electricity, but I read about a guy in Indiana that was drying down his dog's doody and burning it in a corn stove for heat.

BTW our vet and I were talking about dog food quality and she told me to be sure to read the ingredients on the bag very carefully. It seems some brands add what they call "digest" for added protein. What is "digest" you ask? Chicken doody. She says WalMart's Ol' Roy brand is the worst brand available nothing but corn for filler, digest and ground chicken feathers for the protein. Everything else is of little value to your dog.

signature.JPG

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #5  

Hmmm, apparently Walmart sells a lot of that Ol' Roy dog food, but our vet also said it was one to avoid. Fortunately, our dog isn't very big, so it isn't too expensive to just feed him Purina One (and of course, I don't really know whether it's any better than some of the cheaper ones or not)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #6  

My two senior citizens (beagle/basset+beagle/chihuahua {yes he is quite a sight, but a great dog}) get purina one for older dogs, and my fireball, three legged beagle (insert redneck joke here) gets purina one for active dogs. Vet recommended and they're doing great!!!!!!!!

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #7  

The generator thats being built is not far from me its just over the state line in MD.. There has been a big stink in the paper about over the last year. Only going to have 10-15 truckloads a day of poop shipped in. Where the trucks unload is inside and has a downdraft filter system so the stink is kept down.

The reason for looking to get rid of the excess poop. If you have ever been to the eastern shore lately you would know why. Miles and Miles of chicken houses followed up by a stinkin chicken plant.

The lower eastern shore doesn't have many employment opportunities to choose from. It has seafood which is on the decline. Tourism and farming in the summer. Oh yea and chicken houses and chicken plants. If you don't own a chicken house on the eastern shore you know at least 5 people that do. I don't own one but I know seven people that do. None real close to me thank goodness.

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved! #8  

Back in about the mid 70's when I was at Texas A&M, there was a rumor that they had an engine that ran on chicken manure. I found out that it actually ran on methane gas, that was made from chicken manure.
Methane gas is a normal byproduct of mammalian respiration. But then if you have a friend who eats alot of beans, and drinks alot of beer, you already knew that.

Ernie

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved!

Vet recommended science diet.

/ Chicken Doody. We're Saved!

Gordon,

Any idea how it works? Methane or something else? Sounds like the big stink isn't only in the paper. 5 truckloads dosen't sound like much, the proverbial drop in a bucket. Will the usage increase over time, or is that just the limit of what it will be able to handle on a daily basis?

SHF