Chinese digger recommendations

/ Chinese digger recommendations #1  

doc70

Tractor
Kubota L3301
Just joined here after reading some threads on the cheap mini ex's. I started looking for a used name brand mini ex for some projects around my 5 acers in the 20k price range but everything I have found has been high HR clapped out junk and don't want to inherent someone else's problem.
I started looking at the one ton machines with the briggs and then that progressed to the two ton machines with the Kubota motors. I have not been looking for long but there seems that there is so little info on any of these machines from any maker or distributor. The one model that I have been looking at is the typhon xviii 2 ton with kubota D722 from a company on Ebay called Machineryasia. At 11,6 shipped it doesn't sound like a bad deal but spending that kinda money sight unseen kinda turns my stomach. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the brand or distributor? Any recommendations on where to look and brands?
First project will be about 150ft of french drain and I own 5 heavily wooded acres so a machine like this will get well used.
Thanks for any replies.

/ Chinese digger recommendations #2  
Welcome to TBN Doc70 - also add your general region of the country/state helps to suggest places to look at these machines.

I've been doing a similar comparison over the last few months and most of these machines are from the Shandong area of China. Some make the entire machine, others make some parts, but buy and assemble components. There are a few posts here on guys importing direct via Alibaba too.

What I have found is there are 3 classes/sizes - 1 Ton (8-900KG) 2 Ton (1800KG) and then you get into 2.5-4 ton machines which is what typically were the "mini ex" market over the last 10 years.

For the money the 1 tons are very capable - and you can find them at auctions for $4-6K today, They aren't meant to dig a big stump or do commercial work, but for small jobs a good choice. These machines have common parts and no electronics, so can be simple to fix. The bigger machines with two stage pumps and oilot controls have a bit more complexity.

I want something bigger/more capable, and seems the 2 ton machines with the pilot controls, two stage pump, oil cooler, filter etc. like the Typhon XVII are a good deal - they have an office in CA - but its mostly an import office I believe.

Then another importer is AGT in Chicago where a lot of the 1 ton and larger machines are sold and they also stock parts and seem to be pretty responsive. One machine they sell is the CFG-STE 35SR - its a 6200Lb Yanmar powered machine built by Shantui (who also makes other mini ex for big names) and they also make big construction machines. This unit is $25K so double the cost of the 2 ton - but the fit and finsih on the Shantui looks very good and reviews from owners agree.

Then you can look at Kymron (Texas)and Groundhog (PA) - they are importers based in the US that spec out a specific feature set to the China builder and import them, they check them out and do some mods/final assembly and deliver and warranty the units. They are in it for profit, so they will be 15-20% higher than auction prices,but offer peace of mind to those that don't want to either buy via Alibaba, or at auction (no warranty).

/ Chinese digger recommendations #3  
I bought a 1-Ton Typhon Terror X from Machinery Asia (Ebay purchase) last year and it was a good experience. You can go to the Typhon Web Store (Typhon Machinery: TYPHON TERROR XVIII Prestige 2-Ton Mini Excavator with EPA-Certified KUBOTA Diesel Engine - USA) and get a 10% discount and still have free shipping. This puts the Terror X2 Storm, a 2.5 metric ton class excavator at ~$18K. It comes with a Perkins diesel.

I agree that there is very few reviews for the larger Chinese models in the 2-ton plus range. Most folks went with the 1-ton.

/ Chinese digger recommendations
Thanks Carl and Matt for the replies. Matt, what do you think of the Typhon's quality? Next question, is stepping up to a two ton worth the extra $$$$. The biggest things for me is, water cooled Kubota diesel and hydraulic oil cooler not to mention the extra weight should translate to smother more capable machine. My 20k budget on a used machine in the beginning was based on the assumption that I would sell it after got some major work done. Now that I am looking at a new machine that will probably loose half it's value right away my budget has dwindled a bit but I do see the value of having a mini ex on the property full time. At 54, now I like to work a little smarter than I did in the past.lol.
I'll have to take another look at the AGT website but from what I can remember the price of their 1.8-2 ton machines were a bit more than the Typhon.

/ Chinese digger recommendations #5  
Yes, I think it is worth the extra weight, power and utility. I am looking for the same thing - Diesel, Hydraulic cooler, Filter, a bit heavier but also have attachments like grading bucket, and Post hole digger that are reasonably priced. My analysis was the Typhon at $11,800 with the attachments was $13,500 all in delivered. 4,000 lbs Terror XVIII Mini Excavator, EPA Certified USA KUBOTA Diesel Machine | eBay

I figured if I sell in 3-4 years with 150 hour for $7-8K best case I'm only out $5K.

The machine the next step up as Matt pointed out is a good choice too at $18K for the Typhon x2 Storm - it is much heavier, has enclosed wheel motors, and is more of a commercial machine.

The other unit I like is this one STE35SR 2023 Mini Excavator 2.8 Ton Digger Tracked Crawler B&S EPA Engine New | eBay but at $26K and in 3-5 years might get 15-16K becomes hard to justify for what I need it for.

I agree, for me stepping up to 18-26 is a looong stretch especially for something thats just going to be used around the homestead. 11,800 might be something I can justify although just seeing what these guys are doing on the smaller gas burners has me wondering what I really need.

/ Chinese digger recommendations #7  
I discuss my Excavator over on a couple of Threads: Chinese built 1-ton plus excavators.

The reason I suggested the 2.5 unit was what you mention you want a small excavator for. The 1- tons have their use but also have some serious drawbacks.

Thanks for the thread, I will check it out. I'd love to have a bigger machine trust me but at some point I have to justify the cost or I would be running down to the Kubota dealership that's just down the road.
Even Going to a 2 ton machine I'm going to trade in my single axel trailer if I ever want to take it off the property. Money, money, money, i'll just make more. lol

/ Chinese digger recommendations #9  
If you have a few projects around tge homestead and planned to sell the machine afterwards, what would it cost to rent or contract out the work? $5k buy a a lot of work with no headaches

/ Chinese digger recommendations #10  
Yes, I think it is worth the extra weight, power and utility. I am looking for the same thing - Diesel, Hydraulic cooler, Filter, a bit heavier but also have attachments like grading bucket, and Post hole digger that are reasonably priced. My analysis was the Typhon at $11,800 with the attachments was $13,500 all in delivered. 4,000 lbs Terror XVIII Mini Excavator, EPA Certified USA KUBOTA Diesel Machine | eBay

I figured if I sell in 3-4 years with 150 hour for $7-8K best case I'm only out $5K.

The machine the next step up as Matt pointed out is a good choice too at $18K for the Typhon x2 Storm - it is much heavier, has enclosed wheel motors, and is more of a commercial machine.

The other unit I like is this one STE35SR 2023 Mini Excavator 2.8 Ton Digger Tracked Crawler B&S EPA Engine New | eBay but at $26K and in 3-5 years might get 15-16K becomes hard to justify for what I need it for.
do they have the hydro filters from the factory? is anyone on here running one of these?