Chipper Mods

/ Chipper Mods #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
If I had it to do over, I'd never buy this chipper, but now I've got too much time and work invested and must go with it. Too late, I discovered that it was not only not what I would have wanted, but it wasn't well made either. It was the most I had ever spent on any implement ($2,300 back then), and was poorly constructed. The first set of belts failed very soon, as the double pulleys were misaligned by over an eighth of an inch. The reliefs on the flywheel for the double edged chipper blades were not true and the second edge of the four chipper blades were all damaged when tightened in at the factory. In other words, new blades do not fit properly. Maybe I just got a lemon, but it's clear to me that they make lemons. :mad:

Crary wanted another $800 at the time (8 years ago) for the blower. I had seen one that was in use and its case was covered with stress cracks, so I decided to build my own and make it stronger. I had initially intended to even build my own impeller, but I don't have a machine shop, so I decided to just buy Crary's as a replacement part. That was the first awakening to their poor standards. The impeller's center bore was several thousands over the one inch it was supposed to be. Worse than that, the bore was 3/32" off center, creating a 3/16 eccentricity and an intolerable imbalance. I mounted the impeller on the shaft and turned it against a grinder for a long time to get rid of the eccentricity. The balance improved, but due to the over-bore, it will never fit my one inch shaft correctly. My workmanship was far superior to theirs.

It's easy to see now why the one I had seen in operation was full of stress cracks. I went back to the dealer to inform him of the problems with the part. His store was busy and full of customers and he went off on me in a rage, deriding me for not buying the Crary blower in the first place. I hate having to go in there for anything now but he is also my local Stihl dealer. I know that my blower is way better than the one they sell. Over the years I've met a lot of people who would not do business there. Now I know some of why.

With pretty crude tools, this is what I was able to come up with:

chips_001.jpg

chips_002.jpg

The end plates are 3/16" and the frame that joins the chipper is 2X6X1/4" angle iron. The bearing blocks are several grades better than the stockers. I added an inspection/clean-out plate. Forming the curved part of the case from 1/8" plate (twice the strength of the factory made one) was my biggest challenge. I formed the funnel (also a challenge, forging and welding) to connect to that 4 inch conduit sweep. I braced it from the top of the shredder hopper. I made the blower belt guard the idler arm behind it.

chips_003.jpg

I strengthened the 3PH framework and added the mount for the long trailer hitch assembly. The hitch design allows me room to work and feed the chipper hopper.

chips_005.jpg

chips_004.jpg

chips_007.jpg

The extended hitch can lift the trailer wheels well off the ground and lets me empty it easily.

/ Chipper Mods #2  
nice mod, I need to figure something out for my Jinma. Needs extra help getting the chips out.

/ Chipper Mods #3  
That's very surprising about that Bearcat chipper/shredder. They have a very good reputation.
I have the same chipper/shredder (mine was marketd by Woods as the 5000) and have had no problems with mine whatsoever.

I do like that extended trailer hitch!

/ Chipper Mods
That's very surprising about that Bearcat chipper/shredder. They have a very good reputation.

I guess everything I got from them was made on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon.

The latest mod I did was to put a 45 degree grease zerk on the drive side main bearing. I just greased it for the first time because there was no way to get a grease gun to it until then short of disassembling the idler.

I don't know if it's noticeable, but the hitch extension is pinned in place so it can be removed in seconds.

/ Chipper Mods #5  
nice mod, I need to figure something out for my Jinma. Needs extra help getting the chips out.

It does? Are you running it at the full 540 PTO RPM? Do you have the chipper blade to anvil distance set properly? At full RPM, mine has absolutely no problem blowing the chips out many feet. It moves a huge ammount of air thru the rotor. The only time I have experienced any ejection problem is when I allowed the ROTOR RPM to droop. Throttle friction comming loose, chipping too large a piece, or the blades getting dull can cause this. The most important piece of advice I received when I picked up the chipper was to properly set the blade to anvil gap. Blades set at too large a gap between blade and anvil plate will cause it to take too large a bite and will bog the rotor RPM down. Blade to anvil gap on the Jinma 6" chipper should be between .015" and .030"(15-30 thousandths of an inch)...

/ Chipper Mods #6  
I have that same Crary chipper that I bought used and so far it has been great except the blower would be a wonderfull addition. I really like the mod you did and have access to a machine shop. I have never seen one with the blower kit and my local dealer would only order one with a confirmed order. How did you figure out the detail required to build it?

/ Chipper Mods #7  
I have that same Crary chipper that I bought used

How did you figure out the detail required to build it?

Crary is actually Bearcat.
If you want an idea how to build a blower for your chipper/shredder, go to the Woods Equipment website a look up their manuals for the Woods 5000 (which is actually Bearcat built). They have an operator's manual for the optional blower which may give you some ideas.
FYI, if you buy a blower, it'll set you back about $1000.00. I priced one (a Woods, actually) last year.

/ Chipper Mods
I have that same Crary chipper that I bought used and so far it has been great except the blower would be a wonderfull addition. I really like the mod you did and have access to a machine shop. I have never seen one with the blower kit and my local dealer would only order one with a confirmed order. How did you figure out the detail required to build it?

Well, I only saw the outside of the one in use at a shopping center. The guy they contract to do their landscape work had it and I talked to him on a couple of occasions. Like I said, his blower case was cracking up. It looked like 1/16th inch sheet metal.

I got the one inch shaft from a scrapper friend and started from that at one end, and building the frame, beginning at the outlet flap hinge at the other. From there it was just measuring and acquiring the impeller fan, pulleys, and bearing blocks. I robbed an idler wheel from a dead rototiller. The rest is scrap steel I had. Forming and welding was just as-you-go.

I have learned that it will clog up with wet and/or punky material (the same complaint I have read at forums online with the factory setup). It frequently clogs the outlet pipe if I use the shredder. The shredder makes splinters and sticks that will catch on the slightest thing and then it all piles up behind the jam. I have never liked using the shredder anyway. It's too grabby -- dangerous, if you ask me. What I want is the green chips and the chipper and blower work great for that.

So, if I had it to do over again, I would have just gotten a chipper that blows the chips itself. I really don't need a shredder. Live and learn.

The guy at the shopping center told me he seldom used the shredder. If I'd only understood what he was trying to tell me...

/ Chipper Mods #9  
Ronmar thanks for advice bought used off cl. Had no instructions. I had run at 2000 rpm so I'm running slow. Will check clearances on blades and sharpen. I was able to download the jinma owners manual for the 6 inch model

/ Chipper Mods #10  
The guy at the shopping center told me he seldom used the shredder. If I'd only understood what he was trying to tell me...

I use my shredder frequently with no clogging problems. Of course, I don't have the blower (stuff falls below the chipper).
It does help to toss in some heavier twigs (up to about 1" diameter) to keep it cleared out.
As far as the blower chute clogging, most any chipper will with damp material. I do agree the shredder may aggravate that clogging.