chippers: woods bearcat wallenstein

/ chippers: woods bearcat wallenstein #21  
I think I read 10 hours as a guideline in the Bearcat manual. That seems about right for me. I have 2 sets of blades. I take them to a professional sharpening shop. He does a lot of woodworking tools and has a lot of experience with planner knives. My chipper blades come out looking brand new and they are never burned. He has some kind of set up that keeps a lot of water on the blades to keep them cool. He is really proud of his work and always wants to show me how they will shave the hair off his arm. It is my theory that the chipper works better with good sharp blades. I could butcher them up with my bench grinder but they would never be close to as nice as he does. I did take them to a mower shop once but they really messed them up.
As for the 70554 it will accept up to 5" but my little Yanmar will stall if I don't feed it carefully. The chipper disk feeds the chips into the shredder section and the shredder blades chop it up till it is small enough to be ejected through the holes in the grate and fall on the ground at the base of the machine.

Chris

/ chippers: woods bearcat wallenstein #22  
I think I read 10 hours as a guideline in the Bearcat manual. That seems about right for me. I have 2 sets of blades. I take them to a professional sharpening shop. He does a lot of woodworking tools and has a lot of experience with planner knives. My chipper blades come out looking brand new and they are never burned. He has some kind of set up that keeps a lot of water on the blades to keep them cool. He is really proud of his work and always wants to show me how they will shave the hair off his arm. It is my theory that the chipper works better with good sharp blades. I could butcher them up with my bench grinder but they would never be close to as nice as he does. I did take them to a mower shop once but they really messed them up.
As for the 70554 it will accept up to 5" but my little Yanmar will stall if I don't feed it carefully. The chipper disk feeds the chips into the shredder section and the shredder blades chop it up till it is small enough to be ejected through the holes in the grate and fall on the ground at the base of the machine.

Chris