Chirping Hydraulic system

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #1  

Wrangell

Tractor
John Deere 310A loader backhoe
I have an early John Deere 310A loader backhoe (lb) The engine was seized from rain down the stack and I fixed that. It had sat for a couple of years for that reason. I have checked the hydraulic fluid and the level has always been good. I have change the two filters and cleaned the screen and found virtually no debris in the way of metal pieces or chunks; only the slights amount of debris. The hydraulic system is "chirping" right after startup. It sounds fine when it starts. Then about 2 or 3 seconds later, the hydraulic "system" starts chirping. It is a high pitched chirp sound. It seems to be coming from the hydraulic pump. Hard to tell. It also sounds like it is coming from the transmission area when I am in the cab. One mechanic says it is the front hydraulic pump. (I almost hope so...since it is the easiest to change.) I am wondering if it is a valve malfunctioning somewhere. Lastly, I hope is it not the feed pump in the transmission which looks like the devil to change. Before I start throwing a lot of time, work, and money at it I would like to get as much input about a solution as I can. Thanks for you help in advance. BA

Attachments

• LinkToChirp.txt
    87 bytes · Views: 55
   / Chirping Hydraulic system
I checked. Removed it and started it.....same chirp. Trying to get a video with audio.

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #5  
I would check the suction pickup and tubing for clogs or debris. Pump maybe starving for oil or cavitating, neither of which is good for the pump....Dan.

Are you sure it's not the fan belt ?
Well, I think I uploaded a link to a movie w/ the chirping backhoe. Can you please check? Thanks for the inquiry!!

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #7  
Welcome to TBN
Keep in mind many hyd pumps have been replaced in the past to find out that the replaced hyd pump was not at fault!!
Closed center hyd systems require ""good diagnostic procedures"" due to frt pump inability to suck oil & requiring oil to be supplied. I suggest to check to be sure hyd filter relief valve isn't stuck open. Chirping sound could be stroke control valve in frt pump that controls hyd pressure might not be seating properly. I suggest to acquire a 5000 psi gauge & check stand-by pressure which should be 2350 psi

Last edited:
   / Chirping Hydraulic system #8  
An old suction line can collapse too. I had to replace the one on my old JD 420C that uses a front pump for the dozer blade and boom. Problem can also be a clogged suction strainer at the tank too. In other words, don't rule out the supply side.

Welcome to TBN
Keep in mind many hyd pumps have been replaced in the past to find out that the replaced hyd pump was not at fault!!
Closed center hyd systems require ""good diagnostic procedures"" due to frt pump inability to suck oil & requiring oil to be supplied. I suggest to check to be sure hyd filter relief valve isn't stuck open. Chirping sound could be stroke control valve in frt pump that controls hyd pressure might not be seating properly. I suggest to acquire a 5000 psi gauge & check stand-by pressure which should be 2350 psi
Thanks. Great info. I will get that scheduled as it is buried in snow right now. I will probably do the paper trail for now to see how to identify this stuff. BA

I would check the suction pickup and tubing for clogs or debris. Pump maybe starving for oil or cavitating, neither of which is good for the pump....Dan.
Thanks. Another gentlman suggested a similar approach. Many thanks BA