Chirping Hydraulic system

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #21  
The suction hose is the large diameter one. The JD tech told me that the 310 hoses usually begin to crack on the ends along the inside diameter first. He thought it was due to the hot oil. Cracks run perpendicular to the worm drive clamps and beneath them. So you won't see the cracks from outside. What you see is that it begins to leak and drip when sitting.

To replace it he raised the 310 up on the outriggers and turned the engine off. Said that the outriggers have a fluid lock so that they will stay up indefinitely. With lots of room then, he crawled under there with some buckets and to my surprise simply drilled a one inch hole in the lowest part of the hose! He said since he was going to replace the hose anyway, that was the simplest way to drain it. JD recommends their own 5w-30/40 motor oil as hydraulic oil so we put that in with the new hose.
But after a cold snap I believe the lo-viscosity winter Hy-Gard is a better fluid.

On the chirp, I don't know. But there are a zillion 310s, and some really good 310 mechanics at the yellow JD dealers. It wouldn't surprise me if they could diagnose it from your video. The shop I work with is real helpful like that.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Chirping Hydraulic system #22  
JD recommends their own 5w-30 motor oil as hydraulic oil so we put that in with the new hose.
But after a cold snap I believe the lo-viscosity winter Hy-Gard is a better fluid.

rScotty
It surprises me that JD recommends an engine oil instead of Hy-Gard for one of their closed center hyd systems that has hyd operated clutches/brakes.

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #23  
It surprises me that JD recommends an engine oil instead of Hy-Gard for one of their closed center hyd systems that has hyd operated clutches/brakes.

Yes, it surprised me too. But it turns out to be old news that is just now filtering into common use. It took some digging, but I even found a reference on pages 3-1-7 & 3-1-8 in my OEM JD 310SG operator manual. Acceptable oils and viscosities are listed there. The change took place for the 310G and SG at serial # 951253 onwards.

My local dealer follows factory changes closely and said that serial number corresponds to a change in composition of some of the seals in the hydraulic system.

The change is only for the hydraulic oil. It doesn't apply to transmission,axles, or MFWD.

Also, That info is for Yellow JDs; I have no idea if it applies to Ag.
In the past I've always run low viscosity winter Hy-Gard, but on recommendation of the dealer I gave a try by changing to the JD 5/15/-40 when they last came by to do service. BTW, I use their mobile service.
So I'm trying the engine oil in the hydraulics but frankly am not sure that I like it.

I had to make a cold weather start at about 15 degrees F the other day and although I block heated it a few hours that doesn't do anything for the hydraulics. It started immediately, and then immediately shut down with an error message on pump blockage/starvtion.... That could only be due to thick oil viscosity because I've never seen that message before. I waited a few minutes and did a restart and it ran fine. But that spooked me. I'm planning to change back next warm spell.

rScotty

/ Chirping Hydraulic system
The suction hose is the large diameter one. The JD tech told me that the 310 hoses usually begin to crack on the ends along the inside diameter first. He thought it was due to the hot oil. Cracks run perpendicular to the worm drive clamps and beneath them. So you won't see the cracks from outside. What you see is that it begins to leak and drip when sitting.

To replace it he raised the 310 up on the outriggers and turned the engine off. Said that the outriggers have a fluid lock so that they will stay up indefinitely. With lots of room then, he crawled under there with some buckets and to my surprise simply drilled a one inch hole in the lowest part of the hose! He said since he was going to replace the hose anyway, that was the simplest way to drain it. JD recommends their own 5w-30/40 motor oil as hydraulic oil so we put that in with the new hose.

On the chirp, I don't know. But there are a zillion 310s, and some really good 310 mechanics at the yellow JD dealers. It wouldn't surprise me if they could diagnose it from your video. The shop I work with is real helpful like that.
rScotty
Thanks!! That is good info. I have a dealer where I live and will take them the video w/ the chirp. Also, I am out of town now and could try here. I will dig around when the snow clears. The oil....? Yes, John Deere stuff. Spendy! Thanks again.

/ Chirping Hydraulic system
Yes, it surprised me too. But it turns out to be old news that is just now filtering into common use. It took some digging, but I even found a reference on pages 3-1-7 & 3-1-8 in my OEM JD 310SG operator manual. Acceptable oils and viscosities are listed there. The change took place for the 310G and SG at serial # 951253 onwards.

My local dealer follows factory changes closely and said that serial number corresponds to a change in composition of some of the seals in the hydraulic system.

The change is only for the hydraulic oil. It doesn't apply to transmission,axles, or MFWD.

Also, That info is for Yellow JDs; I have no idea if it applies to Ag.
In the past I've always run low viscosity winter Hy-Gard, but on recommendation of the dealer I gave a try by changing to the JD 5/15/-40 when they last came by to do service. BTW, I use their mobile service.
So I'm trying the engine oil in the hydraulics but frankly am not sure that I like it.

I had to make a cold weather start at about 15 degrees F the other day and although I block heated it a few hours that doesn't do anything for the hydraulics. It started immediately, and then immediately shut down with an error message on pump blockage/starvtion.... That could only be due to thick oil viscosity because I've never seen that message before. I waited a few minutes and did a restart and it ran fine. But that spooked me. I'm planning to change back next warm spell.

rScotty
More good info. Could save a lot of cash. My JD 310A is yellow and will check to see if it is applicable. I will check w/ the dealer. Hopefully I do enough work to need an oil change... I live in the US at latitude 64 degrees. Figure that out. I know cold. I use a space heater on the tranny just for fun. Lots of metal and oil there. I have oil pan heaters too. They help overnight. Remember, half the heat on a pad goes into the air. BA

/ Chirping Hydraulic system #26  
I'm changing back to the Hy-gard Winter Low Viscosity.
rScotty