Oil & Fuel Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #11  
Doc_Bob said:
Okay, with the cold weather coming, I am going to drain out my Rotella 15-40 DINO oil (100 hours of run time) and replace it with Rotella SYN 0-40W. 2 gallons required. Since my New Holland TN70 owners manual states I need to change oil and filter every 300 hours, I am going to leave the filter untouched since I have less than 300 hours on it. New oil and old filter (100 hours on filter).

Am I making a mistake???
Bob

Since your changing oil types then I concur with changing the filter as well.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #12  
Pitch the old filter...regardless of the amount of hours

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #13  
Our Cummins 290HP powered tractor says change oil and filter every 250hrs. We do it between 200 - 250hrs. We also send in oil samples for testing each change. Over the last 12 years, the oil shows the least contamination on the tests where the oil has the full 250hrs. I never have understood this.

I would change the filter because of the change of grade in the oil. If changing to the same oil to have fresh oil in the crankcase for the winter, I would leave the current filter.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #14  
Change the filter.

How much can a filter cost? Very little. How much benefit can it give you? A lot.

On my Kubota ZD28 the manual recommends changing the oil and filter every 100 hours. I change BOTH every 50 hours maximum! If I'm going to change the oil it only takes 30 seconds to screw off the filter and put another one on. It's worth the extra couple of dollars and extra few seconds.

Even though my manual states to change it every 100 hours, when I change it even at 25 or 50 hours it's dark, nearly black, with a thinner viscosity.

I know it may be overkill. I usually do go overboard with just about everything. But it's a small price to pay for security and piece-of-mind.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #15  
Jay4200 said:
100 hours is a lot, regardless of what the manual says. Running oil for 300 hours is outrageous. If you were changing oil every 50 hours, maybe I'd say to change the filter every other time, but at 100, I'd definately do both.

Jay

I say change the filter also.

I wouldn't say that 300 hours is outrageous. Most of the equipment we run are due in the 250 hour range. Actually.... we just got a new Gradall with a Mercedes diesel and the oil change interval is 600 hours.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #16  
I change oil and filter at 50 hrs.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #17  
Change the filter for all the reasons previously posted.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #18  
I'd change it and just stick with one oil year round. You should find a multi-grade that'll cover everything you need.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #19  
DieselPower said:
Change the filter for all the reasons previously posted.
Someone also said something about "this is where the grime gets trapped" (obviously) - however - with a change in grade, manufacturer and format (you going to synthetic) - you would be doing yourself a huge disservice not changing the filter as you have the potential of "dislodging" some of the grime as well as some globing of different oils... dump the filter... if it's a cost thing, there are enough of us here who don't want to see you do it - I'm in for a buck :)