Oil & Fuel Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #21  
Would you leave a spoonful of crap in a container, pour beer into it and drink it? That's what you're doing by leaving this much (filter full) of dino oil to be mixed with synthetic. You'll probably get most of the viscometrics of the 0w40, but you won't get hardly any of the other protection that it offers.

I generally go the other way on changing filters, particularly with synthetics. I'll maybe change the filter midway through a >6k mile run on synthetic.

Ralph

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #22  
BOB i would change the filter, mostly because you are switching to syn oil from dino oil.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #23  
I can't help but brag on the fact that I've kept one tractor going strong for more than 35 years. The single most importan factor in that accomplishment has been religious oil and filter changes. I watch the air filter close, and change it when it's needed but the oil filter is every 50 to 75 hours along with fresh oil.

A filter is $11 at NAPA. (I buy case lots) A new engine would be thousands.

About the only thing I like about Fram is their moto. "You can pay me now or pay me later".

CHANGE THE FILTER!

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #24  
RalphVa said:
Would you leave a spoonful of crap in a container, pour beer into it and drink it?

I don't think myself or even Henro likes beer that much!! Nice point Ralph.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #25  
I just glanced at the replies, but changethe filters the couple of dollars saved is nothing think of the price of your tractor, skip a latte or two, skip a beer or two. But change the filter.

steve

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #26  
Change the filter.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #27  
I forget the exact #'s but I think 1 hr on the meter is at least 30 miles on a odometer .......300hrs = 9000 mi + - . I always change oil and filter at half what the manual says , sometimes more often .

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #28  
Doc, I would definitely change the filter at the time of oil change period. Just good insurance.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #29  
tractorsanmore said:
I forget the exact #'s but I think 1 hr on the meter is at least 30 miles on a odometer .......300hrs = 9000 mi + - . I always change oil and filter at half what the manual says , sometimes more often .

just for factual info the last four years on my auto I have ranged between 38 and 40 miles in one hour.

/ Chnage oil, leave filter unchanged #30  
The manual that came with my tractor says to change the filter every 150 hours and the oil every 300. I change both about every 150 hours or so.