Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075
I think you would be happy with either one of those tractors. I know I would. I have a New Holland TC40 and love it. It has been good to me and I own it. However if I buy one again I am leaning heavy towards a 5 series type tractor. I am only on 16 acres but could definitely use the extra grunt/weight/HP of the bigger 5 series.

I just recently acquired a excavator from a family member. It was BIG to me. I cleared 3 acres with a 14,000 lb. mini-ex for my house site. I thought that was big but it took me 35 to 40 minutes on big stumps to get them out the ground and some I could not lift out of the hole. This new excavator I have is 24,000 lbs. Takes about 5 minutes now on similar stumps. My point is I thought the excavator was HUGE and more than needed but now that I am operating it, I would not want anything smaller for the application I am using it for.

You can always add a smaller tractor down the road but I would be leaning towards the bigger tractor to start with the clearing/reclaiming fields. Oh, and get a grapple right off the bat! You will not be disappointed.

Indeed, leaning towards the 5. Excavator may be in the cards eventually too.

Another question: how likely am I to get a 5075E stuck in the woods? I have a bunch of hills and some areas that are pretty wet most of the year (water runs off the hills and soaks the flatter areas).

How much mud can these things handle, and can you do anything to improve ability to handle it (different wheels/tires)?

And would a 4 series be better or worse in mud?

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #12  
I think a JD hydro is decent, but a JD Power Reverser is even better all around.
Power-Reverser...my favorite transmission
I have a hydro now...tractor was used when I bought it and hydro is the only transmission available in the compact cab tractor. It's OK, but I'd prefer the reverser

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #13  
Indeed, leaning towards the 5. Excavator may be in the cards eventually too.

Another question: how likely am I to get a 5075E stuck in the woods? I have a bunch of hills and some areas that are pretty wet most of the year (water runs off the hills and soaks the flatter areas).

How much mud can these things handle, and can you do anything to improve ability to handle it (different wheels/tires)?

And would a 4 series be better or worse in mud?

I have gone through some pretty marshy and mucky areas with my 5075E and have not gotten stuck. I have easily driven through a marsh to pull out a 4WD pickup that got stuck up to its frame if that is an indication of what it will do. Hills are not an issue if you have appropriate ballast. Having ag tires filled with fluid will give you the most traction. In my experience, a 5 series machine is less likely to have issues in mud than a 4 series sized machine.

I have gone through some pretty marshy and mucky areas with my 5075E and have not gotten stuck. I have easily driven through a marsh to pull out a 4WD pickup that got stuck up to its frame if that is an indication of what it will do. Hills are not an issue if you have appropriate ballast. Having ag tires filled with fluid will give you the most traction. In my experience, a 5 series machine is less likely to have issues in mud than a 4 series sized machine.

Very helpful, thanks

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #15  
I think mo1 did a good comparison. I owned a 5525M I think. Believe the R is the top model and mine was not. But a top-notch tractor. Had the power reverse and with front end loader worked very well. Sold it when I quit farming and looked heavy as the 4000 series JD. Don't forget the higher ground clearance is moving the weight higher make it more likely to tip sideways. Higher also means more climbing to the platform. You did not mention cabs but if you are looking at them I did not like the 4000 series cab and bought Kubota in that size for that reason.

Be sure you understand the letter in the model number and what all changes with the letter. Drive each model you are considering, the different letters in the model does change more on the tractor than I would have thought. mo1 mention difference in clutch and I think transmission, until you use both you will not realize the difference. I do not want a transmission that is not FULLY synchronized in all gears.

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #16  
Going to buy my first tractor (used) this year. Small farm/property: ~40 acres. Mostly woods with hills, some fields, some old fields that are 10yrs overgrown I want to reclaim.

So mostly my use would be: brush hogging, reclaiming fields, making trails through the woods, possibly clearing some woods, loader work for gardens and woodchips for trails, etc

The 4720 sounds like the right size generally, but given I will be working in the woods a lot, figured maybe I'd want/need the added stability and power of the bigger tractor (dragging logs out, etc); ie, a 5075 (probably M, though maybe E would do?)

I've never operated either. Dunno if I'd prefer hydro or power-reverser, but imagine I'd get used to either fine.

Any input appreciated! Thanks
I personally would go for a JD 4720 with a cab and FEL and a/c as both seem to be around the same price range, unless you really need the 75hp of the 5075M versus the 58hp of the 4720. But I felt the 5 series was a bit much when I was looking..

Last edited:
   / Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #17  
Stopped by two JD dealers today. For one thing, I already know more about both the 4 series and 5 series than the sales guys, which is disappointing. But anyway, it was good to look at the tractors in person. I agree with you about the 5E vs the 5M. The M definitely feels too big for my property. The 5075E or the 4066 both feel like they could work. Though I didn't love the clearance on the 4066 (I assume 4720 is the same) - especially considering much of my use will be in the woods.

I do want 4wd, though. I think that'll be pretty helpful in the woods, especially cuz I have a lot of muddy or hilly areas. So a 4wd 5075E is starting to look like the front-runner, but still considering a 4720.

Another consideration: reviews (here on TBN) for the 5075E are pretty mixed (3.2 avg), whereas reviews for the 4720 are great (4.7 avg).
Oh, no question, I cant think of any reason to have a 2WD in the woods as once you get sucked into the mud, quicksand, black sand, or marsh you are done for. While a 4WD gives you more traction and pull in getting out to say the least.

I personally would go for a JD 4720 with a cab and FEL and a/c as both seem to be around the same price range, unless you really need the 75hp of the 5075M versus the 58hp of the 4720. But I felt the 5 series was a bit much when I was looking..

I've ruled out a cab because I figure it'll just get beat up real fast in the woods, and I imagine I will be hopping on and off a lot for the sorts of things I'll be doing. I don't have any large fields where I'll just be going back and forth with an implement or whatever. Most of my work will be either in the woods, or random stuff around the gardens & barns.

Oh, also, I agree on the 5075M. The M is too big for my needs. The 5075E is a smaller frame, though. Feels like a reasonable compromise between the 4720 and the bigger frame 5-series (ie, the M, or 5085 and up). I looked at a 4720 and a 5075E side by side yesterday, and I don't love the clearance on the 4720 for my needs (rocky and hilly woods). Feels like the 5075E is probably about right for size, clearance, and I assume, stability (heavier, longer wheelbase).

/ Choosing between used JD 4720 and 5075 #20  
Going to buy my first tractor (used) this year. Small farm/property: ~40 acres. Mostly woods with hills, some fields, some old fields that are 10yrs overgrown I want to reclaim.

So mostly my use would be: brush hogging, reclaiming fields, making trails through the woods, possibly clearing some woods, loader work for gardens and woodchips for trails, etc

The 4720 sounds like the right size generally, but given I will be working in the woods a lot, figured maybe I'd want/need the added stability and power of the bigger tractor (dragging logs out, etc); ie, a 5075 (probably M, though maybe E would do?)

I've never operated either. Dunno if I'd prefer hydro or power-reverser, but imagine I'd get used to either fine.

Any input appreciated! Thanks
It's only 40 acres and mostly wooded. Smaller is better when you're working in the woods. You can do an amazing amount of work with a 25 or 30 HP tractor. A tractor that couldn't fit between the trees wouldn't work for me. Save your money for a wood chipper, stump grinder, etc.