Cistern Tank Installation

/ Cistern Tank Installation #31  
I am going to install a similar system on my well in TN. The well is 240', has a 65' static column, and yields 7 gpm. I'm going to irrigate some, so the well/pump company recommended a cistern/holding tank. They plan on using a 1500 G concrete cistern vice poly. Is there any advantage of one over the other?

/ Cistern Tank Installation
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Lots of folks use in ground cisterns to capture rain water. The only key is to ensure that you are screening the water before it enters the tank. This can be done at the downspouts or even at the top of the tank. Screens need to be removable so they can be cleaned. Works like a charm /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin )</font>

Thanks Kevin,
I visited our local WaterMart they sell the screens & collection tanks exactly like you are talking about.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ..... Is there any advantage of one over the other? )</font>

I am not an expert on one vs the other.
I choose Poly over concrete because poly is light and I was able to purchase the Poly tank on eBay at a savings of about $600 over what a local dealer was asking, had it delivered to my door and still saved $600, I didn't have to pay any state sales tax. The tank is warranted for 7 years from the manufacturer. The Poly tank is one piece molded and can be buried to a depth no greater than 3 feet above the TOP of the tank. I would imagine the concrete tanks can be buried much deeper. I would ask what kind or warranty and what the advantages are of concrete.

Good luck with your system

/ Cistern Tank Installation #34  
Lots of folks use in ground cisterns to capture rain water. The only key is to ensure that you are screening the water before it enters the tank. This can be done at the downspouts or even at the top of the tank. Screens need to be removable so they can be cleaned. Works like a charm

This works fine for irrigation water, but the screens do not make the rain water safe to drink.

Think about how long your roof goes between rainstorms. Dust, dead bugs and bird doo happen. In some places small rodents, mice, rats & squirrels also scamper across the roof. All of this gets washed down with the rain water. Screens will keep larger debris out of the water, and prevent clogging the distribution system, but do not remove smaller debris and bacteria.

/ Cistern Tank Installation #35  
Absolutely correct that screens don't make the water safe to drink. But the garden, trees and flowers sure love it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Much better than the shockingly cold well water or regular drinking water from a cistern. I guess if you had to drink it, you could add some purification system or something. In an emergency pinch you could probably boil it if you lost your well or regular water.

Kevin

/ Cistern Tank Installation #36  
Great project and I see you have a great helper/supervisor as I am lucky to have.

Tomorrow I will take delivery on 4 poly tanks, 4K gallon capacity each. These will be our catchment tanks (cistern) for the new house. We have a smaller, 3k system here at the little house, water passes through a 3 stage filter system and add some chlorine to kill the bad stuff and its as good as town water.

Here is some info: Water Catchment Systems

I intend to dig an area 20' X 20' X 4' to set the tanks, recessed, but not buried. Hopefully, our pics will tell the story and I'll post when done.

My neighbor tells me we've had 20something inches of rain so far this month - not exactly your situation /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

/ Cistern Tank Installation #37  
Where my father in law grew up everyone used a cistern. My brother in law inherited the small family house. We stayed there one night and got the old pump going and I forgot and used the water to brush my teeth.

Next day we figured we should take a look in the cistern in the basement. THREE DEAD RATS FLOATING IN THE WATER! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luckily I was ok but we didn't drink no more water /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cistern Tank Installation #38  
You know, it does occurr to me that if you are low on water and you get some rain, there will be an awful lot of upward force on that Cistern. You might find it comming out of the ground like a submarine comes out of the water.

Cliff

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
You know, it does occurr to me that if you are low on water and you get some rain, there will be an awful lot of upward force on that Cistern. You might find it comming out of the ground like a submarine comes out of the water.

Cliff )</font>

Point well taken, The manufacturer states the tank is not suitable for wet areas. I have considered that possibility and decided that will never happen. The soil would have to be completely saturated 7 feet down - something that most likely will never happen (at least not in my life time) in New Mexico. As a preventive measure though, I plan on covering the area over and around the tank with poly film and some rock / wood chip landscaping - to help prevent driving over the tank and to reduce frost depth.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ..............Tomorrow I will take delivery on 4 poly tanks, 4K gallon capacity each. ...............................My neighbor tells me we've had 20something inches of rain so far this month - not exactly your situation /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David
)</font>
Wow - thats a huge system you are installing. I look forward to reading your post on that project. I have been hearing & seeing in the news about all the rains, flooding and dam busting going on there in HI. Stay HI and Dry,
Good luck with your project.

Aloha,

Larry G