CK20 clutch

/ CK20 clutch #1  

corner bye

Tractor
Kioti CK20
hey all, I have a 2004 ck 20 with 500hrs. I'm the 3rd owner and the machine was used for snow clearing with the FEL. I installed a rear mounted snow blower and love it. I was having a starting issue and resolved it with a starter rebuild and a new battery cable to the starter. I don't think the PTO was used much, and when snow blowing, heavy, wet deep snow it was working pretty hard and I was snow blowing for several hours. Any way I think it took a toll on my clutch. In the process of trouble shooting the starting issue I found that the starter was dragging while cranking and when running the RPM drops slightly when the clutch is engaged and it also squeaks a little, like a dry bearing. When shutting down there is also a squeak. I believe I'm on the cusp of a clutch change. ugg. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

/ CK20 clutch #2  
Could be the throw-out bearing. Most likely the culprit if the squeaking occurs when you have the clutch lever pushed in with your foot.
A burnt out clutch would smell like hot brakes. Does the clutch slip? Engine revs up but speed doesn’t increase?

/ CK20 clutch
I think the clutch is good, no slipping or smell. The squeak/chirp on shut down is puzzling. there is also a bumpy feel when lightly pressing the clutch peddle, maybe the pressure plate. The throw out bearing is definitely gone. I guess I'll know more on the tear down.

/ CK20 clutch #4  
I think the clutch is good, no slipping or smell. The squeak/chirp on shut down is puzzling. there is also a bumpy feel when lightly pressing the clutch peddle, maybe the pressure plate. The throw out bearing is definitely gone. I guess I'll know more on the tear down.

With all the work required to crack it open, you should just plan on replacing both the throw out and the clutch plates. If the pressure plate/fly wheel surface is marred, then it will need resurfacing, but you will not know for sure until you can actually take a look at it.

Also, is there a hydraulic slave on the clutch linkage at the transmission? Is there is one and there is leaking fluid it could be that it is not engaging fully. I am unfamiliar with how/if Kioti use slave cylinders on manual transmissions????

/ CK20 clutch
It doesn't feel like a slave cylinder setup, But I will be sure to check that when I get into it. I'm just lining up my ducks so that I will be as prepared as I can be when I get at it. Hope to start this weekend. thanks for the heads up

/ CK20 clutch
Update, as it turns out the clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing are in decant shape. The fingers on the pressure plate are a little wore. The problem is in the 2 of the lower bolts that connect the motor interface plate were loose. When I removed the flywheel it was clear. the heads of two of the bolts were wore in half, hence the squealing and stalling.

When I drained the hydraulic fluid there was what appeared to be a snap ring stuck to the drain plug magnet. That's another problem I'm going to have to deal with.

/ CK20 clutch #7  
When I removed the flywheel it was clear. the heads of two of the bolts were wore in half, hence the squealing and stalling.
Have any pix you can post?

I have not been inside a CK20, but I did buy and set up a new one back in 2006 for a friend (RIP). He let employees use it, so it got trashed. When it stopped working, I tried to buy it back. No luck.

I think the CK20 has a single-plate, dry, mechanically-operated clutch (not hydraulic). Correct me if I am wrong.

/ CK20 clutch
Bottom couple of bolts ground down

Attachments

• 20240325_152852.jpg
    20240325_152852.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 20240325_145946.jpg
    20240325_145946.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
   / CK20 clutch #9  
Bottom couple of bolts ground down
I wonder what caused those 2 lower bolts to back out and hit the flywheel...
Do any of the other similar bolts seem under-torqued?

As for the mystery snap ring, it may make sense to pull the three point cylinder cover and look at the trans gears and shafts. A lot of work, I know, but you can't have a gear going places it should not.

/ CK20 clutch
There were 3 bolts loose total. Shouldn't those bolts have loctite on them? I'm going to keep researching the snap ring issue. One major tear down at a time.