ck20s gear vs hst

/ ck20s gear vs hst #11  
Well, today i test drove a ck20s gear with loader and 60inch rear finish mower, on some pretty steep hills, alot steeper than i have at my home. In 2nd gear high range it climbed the hills under pto speed around 2200 rpm like nothing. That gear is for me what seems to be a perfect speed to cut grass. My ck20s hst would not even come close to climbing those hills in high without my loader and no mower deck on. Im pretty sure im going to make the switch.
Hst may be convenient. But this goes to show how much of a power sucker they are.

/ ck20s gear vs hst #12  
Hst may be convenient. But this goes to show how much of a power sucker they are.

I don't dispute the loss of power to the HST, but the practical issue is the two range HST. In low range it has enough power to tow a good sized load up hills without problem. What it misses desperately is a 3 speed range. Mid range would be perfect for mowing up hills.

/ ck20s gear vs hst #13  
I went through the same thing when I bought my ck 20 . The wife really wanted the hst , but after driving it on some slopes my mind was made up and I got the gear. 300 hrs and still love the tractor

/ ck20s gear vs hst
I would much rather have a hst, but for this model there is no comparison in performance. For example i have operated a mahindra 3016 in shuttle and hst and didnt notice really any differnce, even on the hills. We purchased the shuttle shift anyway. i think the ck20hst has an engineering issue between motor and pump. Every other aspect of the tractor i love, thats why i cant change brands to say somthing like a mahidra max28

/ ck20s gear vs hst #15  
I would much rather have a hst, but for this model there is no comparison in performance. For example i have operated a mahindra 3016 in shuttle and hst and didnt notice really any differnce, even on the hills. We purchased the shuttle shift anyway. i think the ck20hst has an engineering issue between motor and pump. Every other aspect of the tractor i love, thats why i cant change brands to say somthing like a mahidra max28

No engineering issue at all. Just stupid marketing decision to continue to offer it with an antiquated 2 range HST instead of the now industry standard (Kubota and others) 3 range HST for this size tractor. The HST is really the only significant Achilles' heel for this otherwise great tractor. Only a real concern for folks with hills who mow, but that is a lot of potential buyers.

/ ck20s gear vs hst #16  
Unless you plan on frequent loader work, or anything which would require changing gears between 1st and reverse, get a gear transmission. I loved the power on my B2320... The way those small gear tractors put the power to the ground is amazing. You will think that you have a 25-27 hp machine, and will never look for more power. More weight/seize, maybe...

/ ck20s gear vs hst #17  
Hello guys I have a 2005 ck20 manual shift but it has no high low range selector . Looks like it was never installed but I think see where it was suppose to mount and there isn't even a mark to show there was even a lever attached to it . Why would it not have one. Would any of you have the ability to take photos of your high low shift lever and how it connects to the trans so I can possibly make one or purchace one . I have looked for an answer to the problem online called dealerships no one has an answer for me. The dealers say my machine doesn't come with one but the manual say it does . The machine is old but only has 500 hrs on it or at least it did when I bought it . I have put 200 more on since I bought it with no issues other than this .

/ ck20s gear vs hst #18  
Welcome Kevin. In case you haven’t noticed, this post is over 10 years old. Just start a new thread with your own title and copy/paste your question and you’ll probably get an appropriate response…😬

/ ck20s gear vs hst #19  
Hello guys I have a 2005 ck20 manual shift but it has no high low range selector . Looks like it was never installed but I think see where it was suppose to mount and there isn't even a mark to show there was even a lever attached to it . Why would it not have one. Would any of you have the ability to take photos of your high low shift lever and how it connects to the trans so I can possibly make one or purchace one . I have looked for an answer to the problem online called dealerships no one has an answer for me. The dealers say my machine doesn't come with one but the manual say it does . The machine is old but only has 500 hrs on it or at least it did when I bought it . I have put 200 more on since I bought it with no issues other than this .
Welcome Kevin. I suggest you contact Michigan Iron and ask them. The parts diagram on their website shows a range selector for the CK20.

/ ck20s gear vs hst #20  
I ran with the ck20s for almost 10 years. Loved it. But ultimately I let it go for a hydro unit. The biggest reasons for going hydro are I do a lot of loader work and while I can work that shifter like no one's business it's no shuttle shift and no where near as easy as the hydro. Thev other real challenge I didn't like was with the snow blower when you come to a stop as soon as you clutch in the blower stops... No live pto. So you either have to be real slick at popping the tranny out of gear to allow the blower to keep spinning or else you risk the blower clogging up. The other issue is there's only 2 reverse speeds... Slow is painfully slow for blowing snow or fast which is, well fine for a light dusting but otherwise it is too quick. With the hydro those are all not issues. And I find reverse plow range for blowing snow is quick enough and of course you've infinite speeds without changing the rooms which you don't have that option with the gear.
One's thing I do like better about the gear is I could easily work the left\right brake pedals which is very awkward to do with the hydro.
Also be aware that if you go to a ck2510 the loader isn't identical... In case like me you have items you have made specially for that loader.

E.