CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #1  

Consumerbot7369

Tractor
2021 Kioti CK2610SE HST cab
I've never owned a tractor before, and it's been a learning curve. Got this thing less than a year ago, and put about 65 hours on it, mostly mowing with a flail. Yesterday, I had occasion to fire it up to rescue the 4x4 pickup my son managed to get buried in the mud. I didn't mind--figured it was due to be run, anyhow, been parked for about a month.

After hooking up a chain to the truck, as I tried to pull it out, the engine first bogged and recovered as I backed off the pedal, then stalled out completely when I gave it another go. Started right up, revved up to speed, but stalled again as I started pulling hard. My kid fired up the truck and used its power to assist, and with the combined power, we managed to get the truck out of the mud. I hopped out of the Kioti, and when I unscrewed the fuel cap, heard an audible hissing sound. I was thinking that it seemed to be acting fuel starved, and I thought I'd peek in the tank to see if the fuel had gelled, even though it was fairly warm day in the 40's.

After a bit of searching and reading, I'm guessing the fuel cap vent is the culprit. Figured I'd share my story here. Feels kinda weird to be having that kind of trouble less than a year in.

Oh, and a question: it shouldn't even be possible to stall the engine with the HST in low range, right? Shouldn't the relief kick in first?

Last edited:
   / CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #2  
Try the same type of activity with the fuel cap loose so it can suck air. Diagnose what is happening, don't just start making changes until you resolve the issue.

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #3  
Try cleaning the cap vent, take it apart if possible, or use compressed air. If you heard a hiss of in-rush air I’m thinking that you’ve found the culprit. Maybe the mud-daubers found a hole to plug…

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent
@jimglassford --
That sucking sound when I took the fuel cap off seems like a dead giveaway that the fuel tank was under vacuum, but I definitely want to confirm somehow. Not gonna get my truck stuck in the mud again intentionally, though! 🤣

@Robin Veerman --
I'll have a look. The mud daubers get into everything around here!

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #5  
Oh, and a question: it shouldn't even be possible to stall the engine with the HST in low range, right? Shouldn't the relief kick in first?
Not really sure what you mean...transmission?
Not enough RPM's etc. can cause stall oh some HST.

I’m not really sure what I mean, either. 🤣

I guess I thought that with RPMs up, and no accessories (PTO, AC, FEL) in operation, I shouldn’t even be able to stall out. But I’m still learning about hydraulics, and evidently have a lot to learn yet. I was thinking that there’d be an over pressure relief that would keep the HST from overburdening the motor.

I just walked out to where the tractor was parked overnight, and got another loud hiss as I removed the fuel cap. Don’t know if that’s normal or not, but I fooled around a bit: Revved up, engaged the diff lock and front assist and then tried to push over a huge tree, and the engine bogged and died. Tried same with the fuel cap loose, no difference. So I guess it’s just normal behavior? 🤷‍♂️

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #7  
If you are in low range your tires should break loose before you stall the engine, Something sounds off to me

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #8  
I've never owned a tractor before, and it's been a learning curve. Got this thing less than a year ago, and put about 65 hours on it, mostly mowing with a flail. Yesterday, I had occasion to fire it up to rescue the 4x4 pickup my son managed to get buried in the mud. I didn't mind--figured it was due to be run, anyhow, been parked for about a month.

After hooking up a chain to the truck, as I tried to pull it out, the engine first bogged and recovered as I backed off the pedal, then stalled out completely when I gave it another go. Started right up, revved up to speed, but stalled again as I started pulling hard. My kid fired up the truck and used its power to assist, and with the combined power, we managed to get the truck out of the mud. I hopped out of the Kioti, and when I unscrewed the fuel cap, heard an audible hissing sound. I was thinking that it seemed to be acting fuel starved, and I thought I'd peek in the tank to see if the fuel had gelled, even though it was fairly warm day in the 40's.

After a bit of searching and reading, I'm guessing the fuel cap vent is the culprit. Figured I'd share my story here. Feels kinda weird to be having that kind of trouble less than a year in.

It depends.
I have the same tractor with fluid in the tires, and a grader blade on the back.
I can tell you from experience, pulling out a pickup, if at full pto rpm, in low range, chains on the tires, my tires will start to spin if I slowly engage the pedal, unless the truck is slowly driving without spinning in the same direction. I think this is normal.

If you are in low range your tires should break loose before you stall the engine, Something sounds off to me

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, especially considering how muddy it was.

It depends.
I have the same tractor with fluid in the tires, and a grader blade on the back.
I can tell you from experience, pulling out a pickup, if at full pto rpm, in low range, chains on the tires, my tires will start to spin if I slowly engage the pedal, unless the truck is slowly driving without spinning in the same direction. I think this is normal.

Thanks for that feedback! I have no fluid in the tires (yet), just a flail mower on the back. Sounds like you're getting more traction than me, and your motor is able to power through it? :unsure: