CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #11  
Do you have Linked Pedal? Was it on?

Also, you *can* stall out an HST. I have stalled my 3510 before (starts 4:34 into video):

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #12  
If you caught what happened, he buried the HST pedal which is not what you want to do. Its *not* a throttle pedal. When it starts to bog, let up on the pedal for more power, don't floor it.

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent
Do you have Linked Pedal? Was it on?

Also, you *can* stall out an HST. I have stalled my 3510 before (starts 4:34 into video):

Yes, I do have linked pedal, and yes, it was on the first time it died on me. I turned it off, and manually throttled up to PTO 540 RPM (thinking it might be somewhere close to max torque), then eased into the pedal, had it die again.

I think I now understand that if the motor (via the hydro pump) is being tasked to do something impossible, it'll just die. Versus an automatic transmission in a car, where the power is transmitted via fluid, but in a totally different way (propeller/impeller) that would prevent a stall.

Thanks for your patience and input, everyone!

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #14  
I'm new to this HST thing also... and have "killed" my CK2610 on more than one occasion with HST pedal "misuse"... first time I was attempting to fill the FEL bucket with road mix... as I dug into the pile the engine began to bog, so, like the novice I am, I pressed the HST pedal down farther (just like I would do with the clutch pedal on my other tractor... press it down, the clutch disengages and the engine recovers)... that doesn't happen with the HST pedal and I promptly killed the engine...

The way I view it now is the HST pedal operation is opposite of a gear transmission/clutch... When the HST pedal is not applied, that is akin to a clutch pedal being full depressed (transmission in gear)... there's no force applied to drive the wheels...

When you begin to let out the clutch (or begin to press on the HST pedal in our case) the engine is still producing its full power and the tractor just begins to move... let the clutch out further (press the HST pedal down further) and the tractor begins to move faster... UNLESS... you're in the wrong gear or asking the tractor to move something beyond it's capabilities... then the engine begins to bog and will eventually die unless you press in the clutch (release the HST pedal)...

HST is "backwards" to those of us used to driving a clutch/geared tractor... try to wrap your head around it and pretty soon it'll become second nature....

/ CK2610 stalling: fuel cap vent #15  
HST is not a CVT or an automatic transmission. It is a very technologically backward way of propelling a tractor.

And Messick's is mistaken. It's not a CVT. Maybe (maybe) letting up on the HST pedal helps in some cases but not for the reason he thinks. There are no gears, no planetary system. Just an oil pump and an actuator. Sort of --

Last edited: