CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #1  

Bill_B

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2615
I am trying to decide between the 35 & the 40. With only $2,000 difference I am leaning towards the 40 HP. I mean,...who doesn't like more power right?
I'm just wondering is there ANYTHING I am missing here? What are the differences between the two engines that makes one 5 HP more?
And why do they make two models that are almost the same exact thing? I would think there is cost associated with making two different models vs. Just one or the other. Are there a lot of people demanding a 40 HP and likewise a lot of people that can't afford the extra $2000?

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #2  
If you do a little research, it is the exact same model and engine. Just tuning is different.

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #3  
Because they can sell the same exact equipment, with only a different adjustment on a screw & get $2000 more for it.
I chose not to spend the extra money.

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE
Really? This is true? If that's the case can I buy the 38 and just tweak some stuff to get 40 HP out of it?

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #5  
No, it's not true for the models you're looking at. Those use common rail engines so there is a different ECM with different tunning for the 35HP and the 40HP.

It would be true for the TYM models that use the Kukje engine, since those have mechanically injected engines and the only the thing that changes between HP is some have a turbo and the fuel screw settings.

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE
No, it's not true for the models you're looking at. Those use common rail engines so there is a different ECM with different tunning for the 35HP and the 40HP.

It would be true for the TYM models that use the Kukje engine, since those have mechanically injected engines and the only the thing that changes between HP is some have a turbo and the fuel screw settings.
So why don't they just make them all 40 HP? Very odd. So do you think it is worth the extra HP? Can the 5HP be DIY added later? Are they doing head work also maybe?

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #7  
So why don't they just make them all 40 HP? Very odd. So do you think it is worth the extra HP? Can the 5HP be DIY added later? Are they doing head work also maybe?
Not everyone needs more HP, so they just offer various options since it's pretty easy to do without changing/redesigning anything major on the tractor. That's my theory anyway.

In case of those Kioti models, it might be as simple as changing the ECM, don't know for sure. You may want to check out Michigan Iron Equip website for the parts catalogs and compare both models. They even list the prices of the parts.

EDIT: They don't list the 3520/4020 yet but I checked the 3510/4010 and they actually list the same ECU part number which I find a little bit odd. Anyway, the price for just the ECU is around $2000, so there is the price difference you see between two models.

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE
Not everyone needs more HP, so they just offer various options since it's pretty easy to do without changing/redesigning anything major on the tractor. That's my theory anyway.

In case of those Kioti models, it might be as simple as changing the ECM, don't know for sure. You may want to check out Michigan Iron Equip website for the parts catalogs and compare both models. They even list the prices of the parts.

EDIT: They don't list the 3520/4020 yet but I checked the 3510/4010 and they actually list the same ECU part number which I find a little bit odd. Anyway, the price for just the ECU is around $2000, so there is the price difference you see between two models.
Very interesting.
I own an HVAC company and discovered a similar situation. I purchase a larger BTU heat pump indoor unit and it costs more. It makes sense...more BTUs must be a bigger unit right? Nope the same exact unit except the control board which tells the unit it is a 12,000 BTU unit rather than a 9,000 BTU unit.
It is a total ripoff. Corporate greed. I complained to my local vendor when I figured this out, but it didn't get me anywhere. I have seen this with other equipment also.
I want as much HP as I can get for this frame size because I am going to pushing a 72" snowblower up hill.
I delt with trying to snowblow with a 70" blower on a 26 HP tractor for the last 18 years or so. I'm not taking any chance of not having enough power this time. But I also don't want to be a sucker paying an $2000 for snake oil.

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #9  
The Kioti "20" series is interesting when you start comparing the specifications,
especially looking at the HP and weights of the 25 hp, the 35 hp and 40 hp.

1695820756981.png

/ CK4020SE vs. CK3520SE #10  
$2000 seems a bit much for only 5 additional HP.

I got 9 additional HP for $1500 on my T574. For me the figure on PTO HP was more meaningful. It brought a few more implements into spec.