Cleaning the Tractors

/ Cleaning the Tractors #21  
You know what guys..... If he was to ever sell or trade any of those tractors, the new owner would be appreciative and rest comfortably that their "newsed" tractor was taken care of.

/ Cleaning the Tractors #22  
Saturday I started cleaning the tractors. They were both filthy.

Here is what they looked like before I started.....

Wow that's some great effort in detailing & cleaning there.

Do you do on-site call outs ? If so, we'll again drag out of the shed the old well loved IH which could do with maybe a quick wash. As it's taken c.35 yrs of hard work to layer & preserve in a suitable coating of clay dust there shouldn't be many contaminants in what's left of the paint, nor will it need a cut & polish to disrupt the carefully cultivated "patina".

Seriously though I well appreciate your efforts - we run some older working tractors on the farms that we (selectively) try to keep pristine too, like the ancient JD6030 also below:

Attachments

• A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 249
  • A6.jpg
    A6.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 251
   / Cleaning the Tractors #23  
Do you lube the Tractor and FEL after wash. I was wondering would be a good idea

/ Cleaning the Tractors #24  
Do you lube the Tractor and FEL after wash. I was wondering would be a good idea

I usually wash my tractor *after* doing a maintenance, but it's not necessary to lube after a wash. If you use a pressure washer keep the spray away from the zerks, seals, pins, etc, etc., unless that's what you intend to clean. Then, I would most certainly lube those areas. BUT, a normal clean-up does not, IMO, require re-lubing.

/ Cleaning the Tractors
Good grief...your filthy is my clean. You're more than welcome to come here and make my rigs sparkle. Heck, you can do your magic on our three vehicles too.

If you lived closer I could hook you up.

I'm with mjncad. I'd like to have mine as clean as yours was, before you washed it.

That was filthy? :laughing:

Gee I couldn't tell the difference between before and after. :laughing:

I thought you said they were dirty. Would hate for you to see mine

Trust me guys they were both dirty. The pictures were deceiving. They both have never been cleaned this extensively. The BX had not been cleaned since fall and that was just a wash and a detail wax, that spray on wipe stuff. The BX had a nice coat of dust from mowing. I hosed it off the last time I mowed and tried drying it off with a blow nozzle on the air hose and it left little mud streaks all over the hood. I had washed the L4240 recently and used wax as you dry on it to get some nice pictures of it with the grapple on. 15 minutes after I washed it I had it in mud up to the front axle. I also raked the driveway with it since then and that stirs up a lot of dust. I should have take some close ups so you could see the dirt.

I didn't even know you could wash a tractor.

You sure can.

What substance have you found satisfactory to remove front exhaust soot from the FEL?

I'm on your side in PRINCIPLE: Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Although I have never washed my tractor in fifteen months of ownership, I have blown the dust off with compressed air several times.

When I hand washed it a lot of the soot came of. To get the rest off I used some pinnacle carnauba glaze. To top it off I used Rejex paint sealant. It makes the paint feel very slick and is supposed to protect against exhaust soot, bird droppings and dirt, you are supposed to be able to hose that stuff off. It is supposed to last 4 months. I guess I will find out how well it works. I wonder if WD40 would work on removing soot?

XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher.

RejeX Paint Sealant, auto paint sealant, Rejex car wax, Rejex paint protectant, rejects, Rejecx

There's just something wrong with a clean tractor; short of one with less than 10 hrs on it on a showroom floor somewhere.

I don't think so.

It almost makes me want to go out and wash mine......almost!!:D

So I almost inspired you?

To me my tractor is a tool. Tools get used and get dirty so I don't go overboard with the cleanliness thing.
HOWEVER
I do find that an annual or semi wash and clean (to a degree) is my best excuse to go over all nuts bolts fasteners etc.*
I am also guilty of using touch up paint on nicks and scratches. As a result my 1980 something tractor is very presentable for a tractor that lives outdoors.
But then I am fortunate that most of the paints on my Mitsubishi can be matched with Tremclad 'out of the can' paints.
In the fall I do wax my hood simply because the snow slides off more easily.
I also like to squirt some oil on all 3-point joints and leveling screws so that they don't rust/seize up.

All in all my tractor looks used but not abused but always presentable and not 'concours' quality.

* amazing how many fasteners get loosened over time.

I want to try to do a couple of fairly extensive cleanings a year on them with a few quick touch ups in between.

You know what guys..... If he was to ever sell or trade any of those tractors, the new owner would be appreciative and rest comfortably that their "newsed" tractor was taken care of.

Hopefully they would appreciate it.

Saturday I started cleaning the tractors. They were both filthy.

Here is what they looked like before I started.....

Wow that's some great effort in detailing & cleaning there.

Do you do on-site call outs ? If so, we'll again drag out of the shed the old well loved IH which could do with maybe a quick wash. As it's taken c.35 yrs of hard work to layer & preserve in a suitable coating of clay dust there shouldn't be many contaminants in what's left of the paint, nor will it need a cut & polish to disrupt the carefully cultivated "patina".

Seriously though I well appreciate your efforts - we run some older working tractors on the farms that we (selectively) try to keep pristine too, like the ancient JD6030 also below:

Thanks the JD looks nice. I saw a older Kubota on Craigslist the other night. I hope these will look as good when they are that old.

1983 Kubota B7100 Diesel Tractor - Like new! Only 50 hours!

I just put the loader back on the tractor tonight. Since I was pressure washing it Iam going to grease it plus it is about time. I tried not to get spray the loader pins. It did accidentally hit my hand with the pressure washer when I was cleaning the headlight panel. I started spraying it and the pressure jerked my hand right in front of the nozzle. I guess I have tough skin cause it did not cut me:laughing:

I usually wash my tractor *after* doing a maintenance, but it's not necessary to lube after a wash. If you use a pressure washer keep the spray away from the zerks, seals, pins, etc, etc., unless that's what you intend to clean. Then, I would most certainly lube those areas. BUT, a normal clean-up does not, IMO, require re-lubing.

I tried to avoid all of those areas.

/ Cleaning the Tractors
Here are some better pics of the BX.

I got the L4240 exterior finished last night, still have to do the inside. I had a customer come in and he was looking at the L4240 then he later asked me if I every used the tractor:laughing:

/ Cleaning the Tractors #27  
Roger,
Your tractors both look great. Good for you.

/ Cleaning the Tractors #29  
I have way too much work lined up to even think about spending that much time washing them more than the occasional rinse.

/ Cleaning the Tractors
I have way too much work lined up to even think about spending that much time washing them more than the occasional rinse.

I spent a few hours yesterday in the afternoon cleaning L4240 but I worked til 11:30 to make up for it.