Cleaning up after a true slob

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #21  
In our county, (Carroll) the landfill charges by the ton. You weigh in and out and they get you $52.50 per ton. But that is actual garbage.

Scrap metal and appliances go to the scrap metal area and does not count toward the weight. Refrig and AC units are also taken. They have a re-cycler come in and tap off any refrigerant thats left.

Yard waste (grass clippings and branches) goes to a different area to be composted.

Plastics and glass, along with tin and alum. cans and newspapers goes to another area and is also taken no charge. But all must be clean and sorted.

Really confusing until you do it for a number of times.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #22  
I Pay $12 per month for all my trash to be picked up 2 times a week. They take almost anything.

I did take my old garage doors to the land fill last month. Total charge $0.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #23  
Brad, the garbage collection business is quite an interesting business in a number of ways. When I lived in the city, the garbage was picked up twice a week. For many years it was the city owned trucks and city employees. They worked a 4/10 plan ( 4 days a week, 10 hours a day), so each crew had two routes; one they ran on Monday and Thursday and the other on Tuesday and Friday). Looked like a great job to me; they had the weekends off and Wednesday off, and for the city, all the garbage trucks were at the garage every Wednesday so any necessary service could be done. But before we moved out of the city, they changed to a private contractor in our neighborhood to see if it was cheaper, but the pickup schedule remained the same.

Then we bought this place way out here in the boondocks; no governmental garbage pickup, but one individual in the business who picks up the garbage once a week for $12 a month, and he's reliable, too; never fails to show up. And of course, except during burn bans during the dry weather in the summer, we can burn trash anytime (and you can burn it even during the burn bans if it's enclosed - my brother built an incinerator at his place, and I made a screen to go on a barrel that meets the requirements). However, a couple of months ago a big company with big packer trucks started working this area. It just so happens that my garbage man (the individual) comes in the afternoon on Wednesday, but the big company truck comes by here that same morning, and I've always set the garbage bags out early in the morning. I don't guess that company hires the brightest bulbs in the house, because that big truck has picked up my garbage every Wednesday morning (including this morning) for the past two months. My garbage man doesn't have anything to pick up by the time he gets here, but I'm still paying him./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif He said they're picking up almost half his route, and that he called them once to let them know and the guy he talked to got smart and sarcastic so he hasn't called back. I guess he's making pretty good money since his workload has dropped off, but he hasn't lost any paying customers./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

MrP (Mike), apparently you're getting twice a week pickup for the same price I get once a week pickup, but I'm happy with my arrangement, since I have a big shop building I can put the bags of garbage in until pickup day.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #24  
Our township brings in 2 dumsters every Satarday to thier stockpile area. They will take anything exept tires. Total cost is to be a resident of the township. We can do unlimited burns here as well, so anything I can burn I do.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #25  
That sounds like a good deal, Ed. Of course we don't have "townships" and I've never really understood just what a township is.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #26  
Bird, It is Gov't dividing a County into smaller pieces all reporting to the County Gov't. Most people don't even know what Township they live in until the go to vote and they say "you can't vote here" after you wait awhile in line. Of course, you have your township taxes and all......

You seldom see any signs unless one Township is fueding with the other Township next door.....

Tom

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #27  
<font color=blue>I've never really understood just what a township is. </font color=blue>

It is just a subdivision of a county. Probably along the same lines of a political district. It is kind of funny, my mailing address is Graysville PA, which is in Gray township, but I live and pay taxes in Richhill township, which has the town of Wind Ridge, which has its own Post Office.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #28  
Another sign is driving along a road like 700N that T's into another road like 300E you have to turn right onto, go a few hundred feet and then turn left to get back onto the same 700N road again to continue your journey. It happens at every township line around here.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #29  
Thanks, Tom (and Ed). I guess that sounds a bit like our "precincts" within the county. Justices of the Peace, Constables, County Commissioners, etc. are elected within those precincts.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #30  
Yes Bird, The same here. We have a Judge here within our Township but has power outside the Township. We used to have Justice of the Peace titles here in Indiana but they did away with the title.... Turned out they had too much power with the then state laws..... Somebody must have been abusive....

Gary, where the he11 are you?..... 700 N.. 300E. You ain't far from me. I am in Roanoke.

Tom