Cleaning up after a true slob

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #31  
It is just another division goverment. Here in Illinois you have townships more than one in a county more than one in the state. This does not include villages, different divisions of city goverment.
This goes back to the early days. You had gov official to meet with. This was because of lack of transportation in those days. You know gov they never drop an outdated or useless comitee once one is started.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #32  
We aren't supposed to burn around here but we can get away with it if no one rats you out. I've been known to put out a burn barrel, put a screen on it and have some freezer burnt hamburger on a plate with some tongs. When the local slab-savers show up I'm having a barbique. :)

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #33  
<font color=blue>if no one rats you out</font color=blue>

I guess they would in this area./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif When my brother built his incinerator and started using it, a deputy sheriff showed up twice in the first week, but after that when the sheriff's department got a call, they'd just call my brother on the phone and ask him if he was using his incinerator, he'd say, "Yes" and they wouldn't bother sending a deputy to the house./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #34  
<font color=blue>MrP (Mike), apparently you're getting twice a week pickup for the same price I get once a week pickup, but I'm happy with my arrangement, since I have a big shop building I can put the bags of garbage in until pickup day. </font color=blue>

Bird,

I am happy with the service too. They pick up on Monday and Thursday. I usually don't put anything out on Thursday, but it is nice if I need to.

This is a new private company, the other company stopped picking up the trash in the entire neighboor hood last December. Still billed us and claimed they were picking it up, but never did. Seemed a no brainer to switch to the new company.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #35  
Hoosier and Gary, wher the heck are you? I'm up in South Bend.

Our North/South County roads are all tree names starting with Ash, Beech, Cedar, etc.. in the east working alphabetically to the west. The East/West roads are all people names starting with Adams, Brick, Cleveland, etc.. in the north working alphabetically to the south.

The county to our east uses county road numbers for all roads, like CR1, CR2, etc.. but they are kind of mixed up, especially the diagonal roads. Not much sense to it.

The county to our west uses the 700N, 700S, 700E, 700W system and it is pretty good because you always know how many miles you are from the center of the county.

The county to our south kept the same tree names as ours for the north/south roads, which is great. They use numbers for the east/west roads.

To our north is the great state of michigan. All of the roads are just names of the towns that they connect or random lakes, woods and people. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Even the people that live there have trouble getting around.

As far as townships in our county go ours are German, Warren, Olive, Portage(most of the city of South Bend), Greene, Penn, Harriss and Madison, and maybe I missed one or two. There are seperate volunteer/paid fire departments in the townships as well as paid in the cities. All of the departments co-operate with each other, and it is not unusual to see 3 or 4 fire departments at a fire. Not a bad system, but lots of politics.

Each township used to have its own elementary and high school as well. Those have all been taken over by 3 or 4 school corporations back when busing came into play. Most were converted to township halls or left to rot. One, at the end of my street, became a church/school.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #36  
Tom, I'm in Fort Wayne. I live in Wayne Township but my property is in Washington township just east of the Washington Township-Lake Township line. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Actually, the toad I'm on is an exception to those that jog at the township line. Since it's a part of the original Lincoln Highway that job was reworked into a curve right along my road frontage. Technically, I actually own a little pie-shaped sliver across the road that's mostly in the right of way.

You've got to love that. I own it. I have to pay taxes on it. I have to insure against liablity on it yet I can't do anything with it. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #37  
I'm in Roanoke off 900 N. If I could drag the house 90' to the west the property taxes would be 1/2. That's the corporation line. I pay taxes on a strip that is an easment and pay taxes on the creek that runs through the back of the property. I also get to pay a ditch assessment on the creek to keep it clear which hasn't for the all the years I have lived here. It's life in Indiana.... But still not a bad place to live.

Moss, All our County Roads that go east and west have numbers. All the roads that go at an angle have names.

They start at the center of the County and have roads that cross with one called Meridian (N-S)and one called Division (E-W). Then all the through roads start with 100, 200, 300 etc and have a N,S,E,W, after it depending on which direction it is from those crosing center line roads. Any roads that don't go from County Line to County have "50's" behind them like 150, 250, 350, etc.

So, you can have a County Road 100E, 100W, 100N and 100S and 150, 250 350 etc.

Now, if you drive down a road here and enter another County the numbers may be several numbers off from what you were just on. But, there is always a jog in the road so you know you entered another County. Thus the term "County Line Jog".

Of course, since I grew up in Ohio (not far from here) I always knew when I hit the State Line. Usually went from from asphalt to chip and seal roads. But then that was several years ago. Not so much now......

Indiana, it's still a great place to live in this World and I have been to a lot of places.

Tom

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #38  
MossRoad,

I spent a summer in the South Bend/Mishawaka area many years ago. I was living in Indiana working in Michigan. It's always interesting when you live and work in two different time zones.

Nice area of the country.

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #39  
<font color=blue>The county to our east uses county road numbers for all roads, like CR1, CR2, etc.. but they are kind of mixed up, especially the diagonal roads. Not much sense to it.</font color=blue>

Well, I live in that county to the east (Elkhart county) and there is some method to the madness.

Even-numbered county roads run East-West; Odd numbers run Nort-South. If the road is a diagonal it gets an odd number if it's less than 45 degrees off North-South and an even-number if it is more than 45 degrees. The numbering starts at the North and the West, so CR 1 is the first North-South road East of the West county line, and CR 2 is the first road South of the northern county line.

And if a new county road goes in between two existing roads it gets a three-digit number with the first digit being the road to the West or North -- so CR 101 is just east of CR1 and runs North-South (kinda -- it's one of those diagonal roads /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif).

Given the roads being roughly a mile apart, and the fact that I live on CR 14 just east of CR 31, pust me about 7 miles south of the county line and about 16 mile east of it.

But there's still a whole bunch of no rhyme or reason in the numbering scheme!

Tom

/ Cleaning up after a true slob #40  
My property is on the east-west road dividing the township in half. It bears the township name plus "Center Road." When it crosses a township line, it changes into the name of that township plus "Center Road" again. I know that on my road I can be on three different named roads which change names at the township lines without making a real turn. One of these roads runs through a town so it gets the further distinction of having East and West designations because of the postal address system. It's really not a bad system once you get the hang of it.