Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
Iv started clearing my land for my shop/home. Using the information you guys gave me in this https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/414484-can-one-you-guys-figure.html highlight= thread I've concluded that clearing an entire acre may be overkill.

What I'm after is privacy, I have a neighbor that is building on his 5 acres to the right of the diagram, I have a 5 acres lot to the left of my diagram that is an entrance to 65 acres behind me that is nothing but woods at this point ........

I'm looking for opinions on where to put a 4000 square foot building and what sort of an area that would consume on my drawing.

I will need to clear that area so I need someone to tell me how far down from the back of the property and how far over from the edges of the property I will need to measure so I can set the posts and draw the strings.

I had assumed the building would have been rectangular like the property shape but at this point I'm open to anything.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_190936.jpg
    IMG_20190702_190936.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 310
   / Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems
I don't know how much of an acre a 4000 square foot building consumes mathematically but I've been in one and the space definitely does not consume 1 acre and at this point I don't want to clear any more than what I need for the building.

After that I will move forward with some additional space

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #3  
A single story building 50x80 would be 4000sf. That's less than 1/10th of an acre, so you could put it anywhere in that window you have marked and get an even buffer all the way around it. You're the only one who can tell for sure, by walking the property and getting the best feel based on trees, road, land elevations, etc.

I did not know this.1/10 isn't alot of space at all than

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #5  
I did not know this.1/10 isn't alot of space at all than

50x80=4000sf
150x289=43350sf (your 1 acre window as marked)

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #6  
There’s 43,560 square feet in an acre. So a 4,000 building is less than 1/10 of an acre.

It's easy enough than to figure out what I need to know than at this point. Thanks

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #8  
Jason,

Considering the lack of computer expertise that you expressed in your other thread, I suggest that you make yourself a paper scale model of what you're trying to do. It will make it a lot easier for you to correctly visualize your planning. For example, a one acre square is about 208 on each side, so it would be a lot larger than what you've shown on your sketch. Once you've got a properly scaled diagram of your property and made little "to scale" paper buildings you can move them around to consider things like how to run a driveway, etc. Here's how to make a scale drawing the "old school" way. Assuming that standard sized paper is all that you've got available and you're most comfortable using fractions of an inch, pull out a ruler and:
- Your scale is 60 feet of actual dimension is equal to one inch on your drawing.
- To convert any actual dimension to the scale dimension, divide it by 60 (so the long dimension of your property would be 623 feet divided by 60 feet per inch equals 10.38 inches). You can use this website (Decimal Inch to Usable Fractions Converter) to convert 10.38 inches to 10 3/8".
- The short dimension would be 330/60 = 5.5".
- Draw a rectangle on your paper representing your property that is 10 3/8 X 5.5 inches.
- If your 4000 sq. ft. building is built 50' X 80' divide each actual dimension by 60 to get the dimensions of a little paper rectangle that can be moved around that is (50/60 = 0.83") X (60/60 = 1"). Ditto for any other buildings, gardens, etc.
You should end up with something that looks like the electronic equivalent attached, where I've put your 4000 sq. ft. shop in the middle of your property.

Chris

JasonPlot.jpg

Last edited:
   / Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #9  
How about some trees and high growing shrubs for privacy?

/ Clearing land for my building and yes more math problems #10  
I have <7 acres. And during the growing months I can not see the neighbors. But during winter I can. I have planted 6 cedar trees. They are just beginning to do the job after 5 years.