Clearing weeds in driveway

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #11  
This year, I'm going to get a propane weed burner and see how that works out.

I did that twice. Never again. I too had high hopes. It was hot, slow, and expensive. A tank of propane does not go as far as you would expect. Then to top it all off I think the grass grew better after.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway
I tried salt one year and it didnt do anything. Might not have used enough though. No research done to determine rate.

I only worry about the glyphosate because the dogs get walked daily and im sure what's on their feet ends up being licked at some point. It's probably not a huge issue but why make it one. One application per year and I'd feel more comfortable.

The weeds are generally in the roundabout and edges where nobody drives. I accidentally got over-spray on the juniper and it was unhappy. The grass got a little once and it browned up real fast. So i know the mix works but it doesn't seem like the weeds care most of the time.

Attachments

• 20240313_125431.jpg
    20240313_125431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20240313_125606.jpg
    20240313_125606.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
   / Clearing weeds in driveway #13  
Ortho Ground Clear (used to be Triox) Imazypyr(sp)...

This is the stuff that is persistent and kills over the longer term (about a year).

I've used it on concrete and other places where I don't want anything to grow.

Here's my driveway...

1000001833.jpg

To be fair, it just got installed yesterday.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #14  
I did that twice. Never again. I too had high hopes. It was hot, slow, and expensive. A tank of propane does not go as far as you would expect. Then to top it all off I think the grass grew better after.
Really....well crap, so much for that plan then...thanks for the info.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #15  
My experience too. I tried HF's propane weed burner, next to my orchard trees where the disc didn't get that close.

I burned lots of propane with almost no effect on this green grass.This clearly didn't eradicate the weeds down to the roots.

I abandoned the project and took the torch back for refund, it didn't meet my expectation at all.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway
I tried burning before but the only time it did anything was after the cottonwood was down in clumps. TBF, I was doing it for entertainment so worth the stick lighter i wasted on it. Green stuff takes too much to burn up but they claim damaging the leaves with heat is all thats required. Tell that to my FIL that set his mulched hill on fire 😆

As for the Ortho Ground Clear, thats the only Omazipyr I found locally but the "concentrate" is 24oz/gal so it would take several jugs to fill a tank. Was hoping for something more potent for the price they had it marked at.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #17  
Ortho ground clear, or Roundup 365 are probably your safest bets.

There are commercial per-emergent weed killers, like Diuron, which are extremely effective. But, you will not have application instructions that will be of much help to you, for small applications. And, you do NOT want to over apply it.

Proper application rate, is they key to success with herbicides. Apply it too lightly, they don't work. Too heavy, it kills stuff you don't want dead, as it washes into other areas.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #18  
Roundup or other Glyphosate weed sprays are contact sprays, it only kills what is growing when sprayed, it has no residual value to kill anything that germinates after being sprayed.
Weed burners are very effective on broadleaf plants when used properly, they just have to be just singe-ed enough for the leaves to look wet and they will die in a couple of days.
The residual herbicides are what is needed for long term control in driveways or along building edges.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #19  
Monsanto is paying a settlement of 11 Billion dollars, with a B, because glyphosate clearly causes lymphoma. I understand it still has appropriate uses - just dont let any of it get on your skin, or inhale any vapors, etc.

Bkenobi, your driveway looks great! Maybe the best place to start is to reframe your expectations? Who does it need to be perfect for? If you want it perfectly clean, maybe pave it. Gravel is a rustic surface, a little subtle green mixed in just adds charm, IMO. :)

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #20  
Monsanto is paying a settlement of 11 Billion dollars, with a B, because glyphosate clearly causes lymphoma. I understand it still has appropriate uses - just dont let any of it get on your skin, or inhale any vapors, etc.

Bkenobi, your driveway looks great! Maybe the best place to start is to reframe your expectations? Who does it need to be perfect for? If you want it perfectly clean, maybe pave it. Gravel is a rustic surface, a little subtle green mixed in just adds charm, IMO. :)
Yep, the lawyers really made out on that case for sure. Nobody else does. Glyphosate may cause lymphoma in people readily susceptible to doing so. It does not cause issues in many people. It certainly seems to cause issues with people who take no precautions, dowse themselves with, use excessive concentrations and various other sundry methods NOT on the label.

Last edited: