Clearing weeds in driveway

/ Clearing weeds in driveway
It looks pretty clear right now other than the wind blown branches. In a few weeks I'll have a lot of green in certain areas. I would rather not mess with it but I fear doing nothing will lead to a lot of time on my knees pulling by hand which is a non-starter!

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #22  
I bought a box blade last year and used it on my gravel area. My main driveway is paved but I have a second gravel driveway and parking area. I attached a couple of pictures and it did a good job. I don’t think it lasted any longer than using roundup though. It doesn’t get a lot of traffic though either which traffic will help beat the weeds down.
IMG_2197.jpeg
IMG_2198.jpeg

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #23  
Deezler - I feel the same way about the use of chemicals. My property ( 80 acres ) is bound on two sides by lakes. Everything drains into one or the other.

Once the orchard died out - I quit using chemicals totally. It's simply safer for everything - everybody.

AND - I'm no tree hugger or greenie. A whole lot of todays chemicals have some pretty nasty side effects.

I'm not a tree hugger either and I don't use any pesticides or herbicides. They are just too poisonous. I do spend more time mechanically removing plant pests though.
Eric

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #24  
Roundup isn't intended to be persistent. It kills what is there, but does little for seeds or shoots that show up later.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #25  
Glyphosate only affects green growing plants. If you want to keep weeds from germinating you need to use a pre-emergent herbicide. That will prevent seeds from sprouting. Or just mow like others have suggested.

Would you skip the glyphosate entirely then? I was assuming in spring I would spray once with a mix of glyphosate and something like Imazapyr. If a pre-emergent is sufficient though, should I just skip the glyphosate entirely? I can use it elsewhere as needed and in lower mix rates ideally.

Also, I've noticed that the herbicides have a number letter combination on them a lot of times. The imazapyr seems to be either 2SL or 4SL but maybe they are not the same? Glyphosate doesn't seem to do that that I've seen but others on the isle might. Is there a key or an easier way to know what I'm looking at so I know it's what I want?

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #28  
Would you skip the glyphosate entirely then? I was assuming in spring I would spray once with a mix of glyphosate and something like Imazapyr. If a pre-emergent is sufficient though, should I just skip the glyphosate entirely? I can use it elsewhere as needed and in lower mix rates ideally.
Pre-emergent herbicides prevent seed germination and it works for most species. It won’t do anything to perennial plants that are already established on that site such as grass roots and perennial weeds that were mowed without herbicide application. Also, whatever you spray, use a dye so you can see your coverage and any missed spots.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #29  
Glyphosate only affects green growing plants. If you want to keep weeds from germinating you need to use a pre-emergent herbicide. That will prevent seeds from sprouting. Or just mow like others have suggested.
I use a pre-emergent in late winter/early spring. Then follow up with glyphosate or other throughout the growing season as needed. Buying glyphosate concentrate (42% IIRC) is far more economical than the premixed stuff in stores. About $15 for a quart last year. That will make many gallons at the ratio you prefer, typically 2 oz per gallon of water. It seems to store well if protected from freezing.

/ Clearing weeds in driveway #30  
I've tried everything on my driveway.

I just use a heavy land plane and every two weeks drag the driveway. I still get grass creep, but what do you do.

78.jpg