Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #111  
I think we are done with snow- or hoping we are!

Motorcycles are hitting the roads. In the 40's today - rain the past few days.

A couple of song sparrows singing and poking around. Good group of redwings and grackles. Not much else - cardinal sing regularly outside and around the house every morning.

I heard some more Canada geese flying over. Don't usually hear them in the spring, mostly the fall.

Still putting wood into the stove- trying not to heat us out of the house. Nights are still in the 20's most days.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #112  
We got another frost warning for tonite. Was 27 last nite. Went from 77 to 27, a fifty degree drop in a few hours. This is going to ruin the peach crop.

Weather can be weird. A few years back we had a small plum tree that spread itself into a grove. The fruit was small but sweet. We were planning to make jam but we had a more typical winter than what we used to get. And even though the plum grove had been in the ground for close to 10 years, It was in the high minus numbers long enough that it killed every single tree.

50 degree drop is some stress there!

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #113  
Weather can be weird. A few years back we had a small plum tree that spread itself into a grove. The fruit was small but sweet. We were planning to make jam but we had a more typical winter than what we used to get. And even though the plum grove had been in the ground for close to 10 years, It was in the high minus numbers long enough that it killed every single tree.

50 degree drop is some stress there!
That happens. Henry Drake, the farmer who I worked for decades ago told me that it sometimes helps to paint the tree trunks with white latex paint. That wouldn't help in the conditions that killed your plum tree, but in spring temperature swings the paint reflects sunlight and delays sap flow.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #114  
That happens. Henry Drake, the farmer who I worked for decades ago told me that it sometimes helps to paint the tree trunks with white latex paint. That wouldn't help in the conditions that killed your plum tree, but in spring temperature swings the paint reflects sunlight and delays sap flow.

What does the paint do? I've seen trees painted - but never known why?

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #116  
What does the paint do? I've seen trees painted - but never known why?
Besides what MossRoad says it also reflects sunlight so that sap wont start running as early in spring because the tree trunks stay cooler. That helps avoid the freeze/thaw which kills the branches.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #118  
As Al Gore would say... it's getting warmer..because it's getting colder.... sleet and 35* here this spring... Global Warming.... the biggest line of BS ever.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #119  
Small picture or big picture? The other side of the hill may be different!

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #120  
just looked out the window and....it's snowing!....this winter just will not give up........can not remember having snow this late in april around here.......Jack