Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #121  
just looked out the window and....it's snowing!....this winter just will not give up........can not remember having snow this late in april around here.......Jack

We had a storm one year in June. We used to expect frost through the first week of June.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #122  
Clear but cool today, in the 50's, about 20 degrees cooler than normal. Frost advisory again tonight. Pretty cool weather for us down here.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #123  
Snow is predicted for tonight, so I set out to drain the gas from my snowsled and put it under cover for the summer. It didn't go as planned. I unloaded it off the truck onto the snowbank, where it promptly buried itself and I found myself digging it out one last time. I finally went and got the Kubota, hooked a choker chain on each ski shaft and dragged it out with the winch. Even then it came hard, I thought that I may need to dig it out with the bucket.

A good winter is defined as one which I get tired of the snow... this has been a great winter. Now bring on Spring!!

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #124  
A good winter is defined as one which I get tired of the snow... this has been a great winter. Now bring on Spring!!

yup....ours started out kind of slow but these last four months have been brutal........Jack

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions
jfh28
Brutal is the word. Saw this post a while back showing a power trac w/ a cab, with A/C no less. Moss Road thought it could not work do to oscillation, but there it is. Might have been handy this winter. I can remember winters like this from late 50's and early to mid 60's.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #126  
Nothing like a big April snowfall on the high mountain slopes followed by a clear sunny day. The Sunburns. Just magically appear on many an individual with no base tan!

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #127  
We had a storm one year in June. We used to expect frost through the first week of June.
In 1991 we had a hard frost just as the hardwoods were leafing out. For some reason it hit the beech trees hard, and they never fully leafed out that summer. It was so bad that I thought they might not recover, yet they came back the following year.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #128  
Nothing like a big April snowfall on the high mountain slopes followed by a clear sunny day. The Sunburns. Just magically appear on many an individual with no base tan!

I remember a couple years where I got sunburn doing yard work in early spring. No one realizes how high the sun gets that early in the year.

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #129  

we've got a ski slope about 10 minutes from here.......the slopes are all full of snow but it's been shut down since easter........not enough skiers at this time of year to make it worth keeping it open......Jack

/ Climate Change & Current National Freezing Conditions #130  
we've got a ski slope about 10 minutes from here.......the slopes are all full of snow but it's been shut down since easter........not enough skiers at this time of year to make it worth keeping it open......Jack
I remember doing a timber cruise outside if Ludlow Vermont about this time of year. We'd had a major rain event, the 18" of snow had vanished over the weekend, and the ski slope had just closed along with most of the businesses. I had supper in a little family run Italian place and was the only customer they had. I ended up eating at the bar and shooting the bull with the owners like I was sitting in their house.
The first few weeks off snowshoes is like walking on air. I got into town Monday, busted my butt for the next two days and had finished 3 days of work by Tuesday night. My dog and I were both beat, but to get back to the truck we had to cross a raging stream. That pup was pretty woods wise so when I crossed on a log I expected her to find a safe crossing like she always did. Instead she charged into the water and swam the torrent.

I left town Wednesday morning $1200 richer. Sometimes I still kick myself for giving up that lifestyle, but I was offered a job with a great company and took it.