Close call--almost tipped over!

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #41  
Several years ago when I bought my first compact tractor, I didn't realize how light they were. I was using a box blade on the side of a bank and it started feeling strange. I got off to see what was going on. The right rear wheel was about 6" off of the ground. After that I started being more careful.

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #42  
Several years ago when I bought my first compact tractor, I didn't realize how light they were. I was using a box blade on the side of a bank and it started feeling strange. I got off to see what was going on. The right rear wheel was about 6" off of the ground. After that I started being more careful.

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #43  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry if it sounded like your post had anything to do with what I said. I didn't mean for it to. )</font>
Ooops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif , I'm sorry, I misunderstood. No harm done /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hit the trigger too fast this time. I didn't want to look like the bad guy minimizing the situation and pretending the slope was nothing.

I've never hit my clothesline with a rops but I mowed it once (it was on the ground, of course!) and aaa... that's not a good idea! It wasn't with my Bota though.

I have to admit that I'm always looking at the rops to be sure not to pull or push anything with it. The first time I parked my former BX23 in my garage I hit the bottom of the opened door with it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been lucky though the door pushed by the rops just moved a little bit further on the rails to let the tractor in.

Here's another thing you could do: add spacers at the rear wheels. It helps... but it does nothing for the clothesline though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #44  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry if it sounded like your post had anything to do with what I said. I didn't mean for it to. )</font>
Ooops /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif , I'm sorry, I misunderstood. No harm done /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hit the trigger too fast this time. I didn't want to look like the bad guy minimizing the situation and pretending the slope was nothing.

I've never hit my clothesline with a rops but I mowed it once (it was on the ground, of course!) and aaa... that's not a good idea! It wasn't with my Bota though.

I have to admit that I'm always looking at the rops to be sure not to pull or push anything with it. The first time I parked my former BX23 in my garage I hit the bottom of the opened door with it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been lucky though the door pushed by the rops just moved a little bit further on the rails to let the tractor in.

Here's another thing you could do: add spacers at the rear wheels. It helps... but it does nothing for the clothesline though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #45  
The first thing I did after ordering my B3030 was to go around the yard and trim up all the trees and brush that the ROPS might hit. I had quite a pile of brush and limbs when I was done. Now when I mow I have nothing in the way that can cause problems with the ROPS. Helps keep from getting all that shiny orange paint scratched, too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #46  
The first thing I did after ordering my B3030 was to go around the yard and trim up all the trees and brush that the ROPS might hit. I had quite a pile of brush and limbs when I was done. Now when I mow I have nothing in the way that can cause problems with the ROPS. Helps keep from getting all that shiny orange paint scratched, too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #47  
Great post and appreciate the responses too.
Note- When I first got my BX2200 in 2003, I took off the ROPS because it got in the way, in my view anyway. In an offhand comment by my favorite Kubota shop foreman, he said that;

"Kubota has told them that they are forbidden from working on tractors that do not have the factory ROPS on".

I put mine back on as soon as I got home. It is no problem after all.
JBX

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #48  
Great post and appreciate the responses too.
Note- When I first got my BX2200 in 2003, I took off the ROPS because it got in the way, in my view anyway. In an offhand comment by my favorite Kubota shop foreman, he said that;

"Kubota has told them that they are forbidden from working on tractors that do not have the factory ROPS on".

I put mine back on as soon as I got home. It is no problem after all.
JBX

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #49  
Rolled my Ford 1100 over not once, but twice and very lucky both times! In two separate incidents, the first back in 1978.

Note- my tractor was an 11hp 4wd little 2 cylinder diesel Ford with a FEL and 4' shredder. It was one of the first sub-compacts.

The first time, I was shredding tall grass on a back lot and did not notice a shallow ditch hidden by the grass. No ROPS on the tractor either. ROPS was a special order item back then. Anyway, the back tire slid into that ditch and the tractor slowly went over and I jumped out of the seat with images of that shredder blade still spinnning going in my head. I hit the ground and kept on rolling till I put some space between me and the tractor. No damage to me and the only thing broken on the tractor was one rear fender mounted light. The FEL "knuckles" (top of the lifting arms) were well above the hood level and they acted as roll bars.

The second time was in 1979, same tractor, same shredder and cutting on a slope that I thought was safe. Getting sideways on the slope, I could feel the tractor geting light on the uphill side and I put the brake on. Unfortunately, I was on loose soil, and the downhill side was digging in and increasing the slope angle. I dropped the bucket and shredder, but it was too late and the tractor was doing a slow motion roll. I was cursing because I could have put my foot out to stop the roll and couldn't get my feet out from the pedals and transmission hump and darn near didn't get me out in time either. It was a replay of the first roll (see above). My angel was watching out for me big time.

Anyway- my fix when I got the rig home, was to take off the rear wheels, and using bolt connectors and all-thread, extended the rear wheelbase 4" on each side. Problem solved. In testing the effectiveness of the fix and using my Dad as a "safety", the tractor would now only "slide" and not "tip". It was a good tractor and it was all clearly operator error and fortunate to be here to tell the tale.

Definition- "smart man"- one who learns from his mistakes.
"Wise man"- one who learns from the mistakes others make.
JBX

/ Close call--almost tipped over! #50  
Rolled my Ford 1100 over not once, but twice and very lucky both times! In two separate incidents, the first back in 1978.

Note- my tractor was an 11hp 4wd little 2 cylinder diesel Ford with a FEL and 4' shredder. It was one of the first sub-compacts.

The first time, I was shredding tall grass on a back lot and did not notice a shallow ditch hidden by the grass. No ROPS on the tractor either. ROPS was a special order item back then. Anyway, the back tire slid into that ditch and the tractor slowly went over and I jumped out of the seat with images of that shredder blade still spinnning going in my head. I hit the ground and kept on rolling till I put some space between me and the tractor. No damage to me and the only thing broken on the tractor was one rear fender mounted light. The FEL "knuckles" (top of the lifting arms) were well above the hood level and they acted as roll bars.

The second time was in 1979, same tractor, same shredder and cutting on a slope that I thought was safe. Getting sideways on the slope, I could feel the tractor geting light on the uphill side and I put the brake on. Unfortunately, I was on loose soil, and the downhill side was digging in and increasing the slope angle. I dropped the bucket and shredder, but it was too late and the tractor was doing a slow motion roll. I was cursing because I could have put my foot out to stop the roll and couldn't get my feet out from the pedals and transmission hump and darn near didn't get me out in time either. It was a replay of the first roll (see above). My angel was watching out for me big time.

Anyway- my fix when I got the rig home, was to take off the rear wheels, and using bolt connectors and all-thread, extended the rear wheelbase 4" on each side. Problem solved. In testing the effectiveness of the fix and using my Dad as a "safety", the tractor would now only "slide" and not "tip". It was a good tractor and it was all clearly operator error and fortunate to be here to tell the tale.

Definition- "smart man"- one who learns from his mistakes.
"Wise man"- one who learns from the mistakes others make.
JBX