Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #11  
Re: Cold tractor blows \"O\" ring on hydro filter

AlanB; curious as to what the temperature was when it blew. All this talk of orings and cold temps makes me remember the space shuttle problems.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #12  

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of hydros out there in the field. We only hear about a failed o-ring here and there. Would be really curious to see a poll started questioning if hydro owners have had this particular problem in the past. My money says the great majority will say no.

Otherwise there would only be one filter offered by New Holland, the one with the beefed up seal.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #13  

It was about 40 degrees F out when it went. Tractor sits outside and had been overnight, somewhere in the high twenties and low thirties that night. It was probably about 9 when it came unglued.

While it may not be that common of a problem, it is happening often enough that there are 3 or 4 mentions of it around here. I want to have a look at that other filter. I wonder if my dealer will know what I am talking about.

Anybody know a part # or bulletin # or something?

Man, if that thing blew in a customers yard, we would have been in trouble.

I think that same pressure is what is giving me fits on the cooler hoses as well.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #14  

I have replaced two sets of cooler lines on my TC 29. Never thought that some of it is related to Pressure. I agree with you that if you were on a customers yard you would have to work very quickly to get it cleaned up before it got deep and spread. If someone makes a quick phone call it will cost big $$$$$$ to clean it up. I think CNH should be told about this as they may be partially responsible especially if they are aware of the problem. Last but not least; it was stated that this is an isolated problem; I figure that if CNH came out with a "cold weather" filter they had quite a few complaints.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I cannot believe that CNH does not read this site. They should. And as they read it they should sent two posters to this sight each a new tractor for all the info that has been given to posters . They are Jinman and Soundguy.
)</font>

Woohoo! Thanks Dave! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey New Holland...I'll take one just like the attachment. Let me know when it's ready to pick up. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wonder which one Soundguy will pick? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 851675-Biggy.JPG
    851675-Biggy.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 126
   / Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #16  

There are two active threads here, now on this topic. I have responded to several other threads in the past here and on the CaseIH boards. The problem is more related to a substandard hydrostatic charge filter filter introduced a little over a year ago by NH. Warming the tractor up does little good, as most filter failures occur within seconds of startup, before the hydro controls are moved. Charge pressure is not related to swashplate position anyway. I am happy that you have experienced no filter failures, but your luck does not prove there is not an endemic problem. Additionally, why should NH offer only a $60 filter in climates where a cheaper effective filter is suitable.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #17  

As the filter in question is the hydrostatic charge pressure filter, it IS a hydro-only problem. The thread you reference also pertains exclusively to the charge pressure filter. Geardrive Case and NH compacts are not affected. The main hydraulic filter is a suction filter and does not operate under any pressure.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #18  

Rick do I understand you correctly that you or NH is recommending the $60. filter to everyone with a hydro that uses their rigs in cold climates?

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #19  

As everyone knows, cold oil is thicker than warm and the thicker the higher the pressures will get.

Is the problem then not a 'pressure relief valve' setting?

Is there one in HST's?
If none is present, then might there be a way to plumb a relief valve into the system?

Perhaps a cure is as simple as 'TEEing' into a line and adding a valve that would release at its operating setting back into the sump until the fluid heated up enough.

IE a 'bypass valve'.

We once had a jeep that blew oil filters every cold morning.
Turned out to be the 'by pass pressure relief valve' that was jammed.

/ Cold tractor blows "O" ring on hydro filter #20  

Understand I left the dealership in late October, so I am not privy to NH's latest engineering feats. As it stood then, NH would have owners buy the 'cold weather hydro filter'; I assume that has not changed. My recommendation to owners of NH equipment STORED at ambient temps below 30 degrees F and using that particular charge pressure filter is to install the 'cold weather hydro filter'. Monitor the situation to see if NH introduces a suitable filter at lower cost. And fully adhere to the 300 hour filter change interval in order to lower the per-hour cost. Changing the filter sooner is a waste of money unless you know there is contamination. New system design is the minor part of the problem. The design of the updated 'standard' hydrostatic charge pressure filter is mostly to blame IMHO. When this filter came out, problems increased exponentially.